Carrier H2O Wireless - Does it now have LTE Access?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 869639, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 869639 macrumors 6502

I see that H2O Wireless now advertises 10x Faster Data....can anyone who is using please share a screen shot of H2O LTE Speeds if they are now enabled or 4G Speeds?

I'm thinking of switching from GoPhone to H2O as I will be able to save about $5 and gain International Calling with the same 2GB Data n all.

We know that the following AT&T MVNO's have LTE:
    - Straight Talk
    - Net10
    - AT&T GoPhone and AT&T's own brand AIO Wireless

2. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

No H2O Wireless users out there that can shed some light?

3. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

"H2O also said it is now offering speedier service on AT&T's HSPA+ network, though it's unclear when that switch was made. An H2O spokeswoman did not immediately have a comment on the timing. AT&T has argued that its HSPA+ service coupled with enhanced backhaul delivers "4G" speeds."

Read more: AT&T MVNO H2O Wireless brings back unlimited $60 data plan - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...limited-60-data-plan/2013-12-03#ixzz2rBVwSCQ6
    Subscribe at FierceWireless
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...brings-back-unlimited-60-data-plan/2013-12-03

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would tend to agree. At school, my LTE and HSPA+ have comparable speeds (though LTE has a higher upload)

5. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you on H2O currently?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh sorry, I'm not. I'm on AT&T.

7. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can someone that is a user of H2O please share ping times/speed tests for H2O Wireless?

8. thehype31 macrumors regular

Here you go, from my wife's iphone 5s:

Attached Files:

9. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, hows the call quality? We have one line on Red Pocket and the call quality is not that great.

10. thehype31 macrumors regular

Not really any different then native AT&T was around here... Not sure how good of a measure that is though.

The other thing to remember is H2O will work on an ATT locked phone, but to get MMS you need to be unlocked and do the SIM swap method.

11. 869639, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

True, I'm actually gonna leave H2O out of the picture and leave AT&T GoPhone and go for Straight Talk once again. I just bought a 3 month refill for $125.99 on Walmart.com = $42/month all tax/fee's included, My end goal was/is to save money over my current $60 plan and I'll get LTE access as well.

I also heard that Straight talk no longer require settings to be configured to setup MMS.

12. thehype31 macrumors regular

That is a true statement, Straight Talk has their own carrier profile now so MMS will work out of the box. You will notice a difference if you had them before since your phone will now say "tfw" in the top left vs "HOME".

13. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I read about that on the forum as well, I think Straight Talk will offer better value/service. Also you would be surprised that MVNO's tend to at times get crappier coverage.

Our Red Pocket line data stops working most of the way when ever I go from Milwaukee to Detroit vs my GoPhone Line, I have never seen this issue with Straight talk in the past [I was on straight talk for couple of years before switching to the GoPhone plan as it offered LTE well before Straight Talk/Net10/TFW did.

14. powderturns macrumors newbie

I doubt h2o is lte

my speeds have been terrible on h2o wireless throughout the USA (just on a road trip) and especially bad here in san francisco. right now, back to back tests of my phone in my apartment:
    ping 198, download: 0.08 mbps, upload: 0.32 mbps

i actually just bought a ATT wifi hotspot and here are the results I get through my phone connected to the hotspot - way faster.

49, 1.69, 3.07 respectively.

anyway, I'm not happy with H2O's speeds, and will look to exit after this month is up.

15. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh thats horrible.

I think your best options are:
    #1) GoPhone
    #2) AIO or Straight Talk or Simple Mobile

16. Jo.Jo macrumors newbie

I have had H2O wireless for years. First on an iPhone 3G (GSM) and then on an iPhone 4 (GSM). I can assure you that they do NOT have 4G speeds. They still operate off of the 3G network. I have the $60 month plan with 3G of data. Even when H2O supposedly "upgraded" speeds to give the equivalent of 4G speed, I have never noticed a difference.

I do get great signal most of the time, but I fight with MMS. Network is slower than molasses, but works great for phone calls and texts. It's a trade off to not have to pay $105 a month for a single phone on a big 3 network. Having to Jailbreak it and not be allowed to update to the latest software versions is a bummer too. I still run off IOS 6. But, all in all it works. If I wasn't on a budget, I wouldn't have H2O. But I am and it works. Just can't expect what you would from Verizon or AT&T.

Food for thought for anyone looking to make a change :)

17. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Why not go to tmobile for $60 a month? No issues at all for me

18. ineel macrumors regular

Why don't you get at&t's MVNO Cricket Wireless, Straight talk, or Net 10? They all have 2.5-3GB for $45/mo. You are paying too much.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ayy Milwaukee! Thats where I'm from (although I live in NY now) so I usually make a comment. I always notice AT&T has better reception in Milwaukee over Verizon, I'm guessing anything that piggy backs on AT&T will be better....although Verizons LTE service might be better in the Milwaukee area...haven't been back with my new phone yet. Verizon only has 1900MHz licences so indoor service is a PAIN when dealing with 2G/3G...I'm not sure which GoPhone plan runs on Verizon but I would avoid it if your out in the mid-west, US Cellular seams to dominate with wireless coverage in the Milwaukee County area and down to Chicago. Just figured I'd drop my 0.02cents...