Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Will wait to see if it does it again. Have an appointment with Apple this weekend. Will make sure to backup before I go.
It's always a good idea to enable iCloud backups for iDevices. It's a "set and forget" setting for me, really. Full disclosure: I'm paying for 200 GB a month, so space isn't a concern there, but nice when I need it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It's always a good idea to enable iCloud backups for iDevices. It's a "set and forget" setting for me, really. Full disclosure: I'm paying for 200 GB a month, so space isn't a concern there, but nice when I need it.

Thats enabled but it does not always work correctly so its best to use iTunes.

Stephencovar

macrumors regular
May 20, 2015
Pasadena, California
To me it sounds like you were experiencing either a software related glitch/bug or you might be having multitouch issues. It is very unlikely that someone is "hacking" your iPad. If the issue continues, I would update the iPad. If it continues even after that, I would restore it. This is likely what the Apple Store is going to have you do, especially if they can't replicate the issue.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
To me it sounds like you were experiencing either a software related glitch/bug or you might be having multitouch issues. It is very unlikely that someone is "hacking" your iPad. If the issue continues, I would update the iPad. If it continues even after that, I would restore it. This is likely what the Apple Store is going to have you do, especially if they can't replicate the issue.

It’s already running the latest iOS. It has not misbehaved since that one day and I will continue to monitor it but also will make a backup before Sunday when I go to the Apple store. iCloud backups are problematic, take forever to restore, and do not always restore correctly as I have experienced at least twice.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
You have flawed logic if you think turning OFF WiFi means you have a hacker if the random screen activity continues, without WiFi how do you think a hacker is connecting to the iPad???
Didn’t you read the thread title? The hacker is IN the iPad. Having WiFi on gives the hacker a way out of the iPad. Turning it off means he’s trapped inside the iPad and is forced to do some hacking. Personally I think it’s cruel to trap a hacker in your iPad.

Reactions: TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Thats enabled but it does not always work correctly so its best to use iTunes.

I had a iPhone 5s that had a mind of it's own, it behaved as your iPad until I change the lcd and digitizer. That might be your problem.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Went to the Apple store and they did a full hardware test including on the touch screen and could find no problems so the tech did a settings reset so we shall see if the problem comes back. Glad it’s not hardware related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.