Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
It just got good.

icegif-1772.gif

Reactions: ndouglas

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm semi-cool with them using it to try and coerce Reddit to undo their new API rules and fees, but I do not support them blackmailing for the sake of financial gain in the form of the $4.5 million they are also requesting. Other's like Anonymous have used hacking to call out dirty and corrupt businesses and government. I don't support hacking for monetary gain, but vigilante hacking with the right intentions and goals, for the greater good I wouldn't say it has "no standing." Though myself, would never resort to such behavior, and I wouldn't support it other than expressing my opinions on the matter.

If the guy that ran your neighborhood bodega raised the price of licorice more than you'd like, you'd be ok with the local gangsters breaking his legs as long as they didn't rob him directly?

What the hell is going on here? It's a website. It's not your website. You liked it. It changed. Either stick with it or go somewhere else. Cheering on a band of thugs in a "ends justify the means" throw down is ludicrous.

People have lost all sense of proportion on this...

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I don’t understand why so many people still use Reddit The few times I've been there it seems like the cesspool of the internet.
There are cesspool subreddits, but some of the smartest people on the interwebs are on reddit. They're just a little deranged. But still smart and usually helpful. You want cesspool, go to 4chan.org... reddit is like a bunch of church boys in comparison.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Question: What happens if you use your Apple ID login for Reddit? (Because Apple gives the option to hide the email when signing in).

Can that still be hacked?
very good question ! I think not , since apple/google will provide the app/site a token, which is useless in itself if not decrypted by google, and as such, they can't access anything without hacking your google account, which isnt the case here, as only reddit.com has been hacked

but lemme know if you get a more precise answer

KurtWilde

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
For anyone else paying attention, this is a classic example of not having a clue what's going on or how things work, but getting real rebellious about it anyway.

The reality is, while reddit gave API access for free, they paid for that, while the dude who created Apollo made millions, thanks to reddit. He's not some small mom and pop shop that got squeezed out by some big bad corporation. He was lucky he took advantage while he did. And quite frankly, he tried to extort reddit also.

Other/similar social media companies charge for API access, and they charge similar amounts to what reddit is planning to charge also. So we can drop the "greedy evil bad big company reddit" bs.

It's going to be fun watching reddit continue to grow. Power users might leave, but the vast majority of people using reddit aren't power users, and they'll remain. They'll get advertised to just the same, and reddit will be just fine.

When things imploded at Digg, there was reddit, waiting in the wind. But right now there isn't anyone else waiting in the wind. Reddit is going to be fine, and good for them, because they haven't done anything wrong.

damn bro maybe come back with a worse take

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Reddit hasn't done anything wrong. They're the ONLY social media company that hasn't been charging for API access. Just because people got used to something doesn't mean they have a right to that thing.
Not wrong, but stupid? OpenAI already scrapped all the data. Charging crazy fees now is a bit late. The crazy fees will also kill off any 3rd party clients, which are often used by the largest content generators and moderators. Again, maybe not wrong, but stupid.

Exactly this.

First, Reddit is a business. It has employees, it maintains servers, it has costs and bills. Why should others be able to profit off of Reddit’s work without some kind of compensation going to Reddit? This stuff can be pretty expensive to maintain.

Second, it’s never great to rely on another company for the soul survival of your own business. A day will come when YouTube will dramatically change their policies and a lot of full-time YouTubers will suddenly find themselves out of a job. The problem is they never think the current deal will go away, so they have no back-up plan. The same is true for any developers living off another company’s API.
Reddit literally relies on people to generate and moderate content for free. For Reddit to turn around and be upset that some non-crap client made money off Reddit is a bit pot, kettle, black.

YouTube pays the creators. It's a very different dynamic. YouTube is fully aware that they are in a symbiotic relationship with the people generating the content. Reddit OTOH seems a bit clueless about that fact.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Reddit hasn't done anything wrong. They're the ONLY social media company that hasn't been charging for API access. Just because people got used to something doesn't mean they have a right to that thing.
Agreed, no software company is obligated to provide APIs. Some do it for free, some charge a one time fee, some monthly fees, based on usage fees etc.

The third parties got to milk someone's cow and then sell the milk for a long time. It's time to pay the cow owner.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

None should get anything for API access. These apps bring value to the platform by virtue of existence. They bring users. They add functionality, all for free.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Not wrong, but stupid? OpenAI already scrapped all the data. Charging crazy fees now is a bit late. The crazy fees will also kill off any 3rd party clients, which are often used by the largest content generators and moderators. Again, maybe not wrong, but stupid.

Reddit literally relies on people to generate and moderate content for free. For Reddit to turn around and be upset that some non-crap client made money off Reddit is a bit pot, kettle, black.

YouTube pays the creators. It's a very different dynamic. YouTube is fully aware that they are in a symbiotic relationship with the people generating the content. Reddit OTOH seems a bit clueless about that fact.

Reddit has 900 million active users, while there are only 0.9 million Apollo users. We are talking about 0.1% here. Reddit is not so bad if only 0.1% use Apollo in the end.

And Reddit looses money to Apollo, because it doesn't get to show ads to those 0.9 million people. While Youtube makes money of the creators instead of loosing money.

Reactions: tooloud10

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Agreed, no software company is obligated to provide APIs. Some do it for free, some charge a one time fee, some monthly fees, based on usage fees etc.

The third parties got to milk someone's cow and then sell the milk for a long time. It's time to pay the cow owner.
This is such a disingenuous argument. Literally none of the devs are demanding free API access, they just want it priced reasonably (which Reddit said they would do) and provided in a reasonable timeframe.

KurtWilde

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Reddit has 900 million active users, while there are only 0.9 million Apollo users. We are talking about 0.1% here. Reddit is not so bad if only 0.1% use Apollo in the end.

And Reddit looses money to Apollo, because it doesn't get to show ads to those 0.9 million people. While Youtube makes money of the creators instead of loosing money.

Sounds like Reddit should put ad feeds in their API

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Reddit and Huffman can run the company how they please. They can charge what they want, shut it down completely, or close individual pages. That’s freedom of enterprise.

Personally, I think the API implementation, like Twitter before them, was a disaster, and that changes like this need to be communicated with, and negotiated with, the relevant third parties.

However, hacking and blackmail are felonies and despite their noble intentions, you get no sympathy for breaking the law. I hope the FBI catches these guys and throws them in jail. What’s next, “I don’t like your estimate for my dorm room so either lower the price or your pictures end up online?”

A crime is a crime and, when it comes to criminal activity, the ends never justify the means.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
IMG_0803.png

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it on here, but they have a banner that links to a help page explaining that the majority of bots and 3rd party services will fall into the free tier. I’m curious how many of those are throwaway accounts that have been forgotten or were created for a very specific reason. I know I’ve had several over the years for various scraping and moderation tools that were barely used.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I was and still am in support of users protesting in form of moderators shutting down forums etc, users closing their accounts and such - but blackmail imho is a criminal act and I hope that these hackers will be brought down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.