Hackintosh Notebook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Hello!

I'm looking for a Mac notebook, not a MacBook (those are too expensive) preferably an iBook G4 or PowerBook G4. However, I've been reading about Hackintoshes and I'm thinking about going that route.

I have a few questions, though:

1. Do I need a specific computer, or can I use any computer?

2. Will the auto-update work, or do I need something else, and if so, what?

3. Would it be cost about the same an iBook?

4. How difficult is it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Head over to mroogle.com and search for "hackintosh."

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1. Only really works on specific machines, particularly when it comes to laptops.
    2. It may or it may not work. You may have to manually patch updates.
    3. Depends on the notebook you get.
    4. Varies from straightforward to difficult.

Look up the links the others provided.

4. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I checked both those, but I got nowhere. Insanely Mac.com was rather confusing, and my MRoogle searches were fruitless, I couldn't find a notebook thread.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Merged Hackintosh Thread

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you can't work your way around InsanelyMac, I humbly suggest a hackintosh is not for you.

7. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Unless you are proficient with computers, know exactly what is in your computer, not scared of partitions, see the fun in trying to resolve driver problems and or crashes/boot problems and can fix such things without having someone to hold your hand, forget about it.

Running OSx86 is like running alpha software. It does not work out of the box, and requires constant attention. It is a project. It is not suitable for production use.

It can be a lot of fun though. :) And if you do get it running properly, it is very rewarding.

8. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

InsanelyMac was easy enough, but the threads were confusing.

9. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

\

That's mostly why I'd like to make a Hackintosh. And it may be cheaper than an iBook, because even a refurb MacBook is too expensive for me at the moment.

10. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Thats not accurate at all. I have been running OSx86 on my rig since 10.5.2 and i have yet to give it "constant attention." In fact, the only time i have to worry about it is when theres an update and the guys at IM usually have it all figured out by the time i check it out. Even then its only a few terminal commands, update, reboot, and done. Its not really difficult.

OSx86 depends strictly on your hardware. It either works or it doesnt. There are a few setups that might require a little more work to get going, but its not like it was in the Tiger days. When i install Leo on a computer i just pop in my iPC disc, install, run OSx86Tools and get all the drivers i need. It probably takes about 5 minutes longer than it would installing on a mac.

Like i said, it all depends on the hardware. The Dell XPS line seems to get alot of attention from the osx86 community and im pretty sure they work 100% with almost no work at all. Im not sure about anything else though. Look for something Intel based that doesnt have the GMA4500 chipset. The 4500 will NOT work and you will be stuck at 1024x768 forever.

11. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That's some good advice, I'll keep that in mind.

12. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I just checked out the Dell refurb site, and the XPS M1530 looks reasonably priced...

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Check out the Dell support forums. Many hackintoshers are on there.

14. manofmany macrumors newbie

I've got this AMD HP rig dual booting OSX/Vista/7 and I will say it's fun but VERY frustrating getting everything to work. Almost everything has a snag, but you learn alot in the process. It never truly replaces a mac though, IMO.

15. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just did that, I didn't see anything Hackintosh.

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You need Boing Boing's Netbook Compatibility Chart! Take a look, choose your favourite netbook out of those that work well (the Dell Mini 9, MSI Wind, and HP Mini 1000, and Lenovo S10 are your best bets), and go from there.

I like the Dell, and it has some of the strongest support. Some people really like the HP's ergonomics, though.

17. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

A hackintosh, simply put, is not going to be appreciably cheaper than a refurbed iBook or PB. When you add to this fact that hackintosh support is slim at best, official support is nonexistent and that most hackintosh-workable laptops in the price range of a PB are not going to be performing any better...

I would suggest you go the route of the PowerBook.

much less headache, all around.

18. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Looks like the Mini 9 is the way to go. I'd like a larger screen, but the price is pretty good...

19. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

20. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd love a PB, but they are about as powerful as the Mini 9 and they support less RAM, though they do have a larger screen.

Ever since I'd heard about Hackintoshes, I've always wanted to try it out.

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The HP has a 10" screen. And from what I've read, the keyboard is far superior to that on the Dell. That said, Dell also offers the Mini with a 10" or 12" screen. I don't know how/if OSX is workable on the larger models, though.

I've been toying with the idea of a netbook, and the Dell Mini and HP Mini are leading the race imo. The HP is gorgeous (and I've never said that about an HP before... can't stand their computers otherwise!).

22. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The HP looks even better, but I can't find anything about a Hackintosh setup. If anyone knows where to find that information, I'd love to know about it.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Click on the boing boing compatibility chart (A poster even gave you a link, for cryin' out loud!) and click on the link for the HP mini one.