Had my 4s since launch without a screen protector screen pr

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by himynameiscody, Dec 18, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thinking about getting one just in case. Is it worth buying an expensive one? Does it effect the screens touch screen at all like when scrolling or typing? Will it make my screen seem darker or anything

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You're NUTS to have it without a screen protector. No, it doesn't really affect anything. You might actually be able to improve performance in games like Fruit Ninja if you pick a low resistance screen protector.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I've always gotten cheap(er) ones without issue. Everyone says stuff about rainbow effect but w/e... I'm not THAT picky...

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's your own prerogative if you want a screen. I, too, struggled with deciding with anything that I was going to put on my phone. However, these screens are absolutely transparent, it looks like its not there, until you look for the sticker edges. There no change in my touch sensitivity, but did it did make it easier since it does attract too much oil.

Power Support
    www.powersupportusa.com

$14.99 - Crystal Front Screen
    $19.99 - Crystal Front & Back Screen

(estimated prices)

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sorry but I have to do it. Have we as a world population become such nitwits that we can't make simple life decisions on our own? I see thread after thread of people asking what they should do about situation X. Really? No one on this forum could possibly help some of these people with their questions. We don't know you, your likes/dislikes, money situation, ect ect.

OP, have you never seen a phone with a screen protector on it? I find it hard to believe that you haven't. So I'm not a total asshat.... I prefer clear because anti glare does degrade the screen ever so slightly..... but then of course you have to put up with finger prints. So pick your poison!

Get which ever screen protector YOU like and can afford and move on with your life.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That just depends on how well you take care of it. I've had three iPhones. the original --> 3GS --> 4S. Not a one of them had any scratches, dents or dings on them or the screens. They looked about as good on their last day of use as they did when I bought them.

7. RyanG macrumors 6502

Huh? It has a highly scratch resistent screen. Unless you work on a beach, having it without a screen protector is fine. I haven't used one on my 4 since I bought it and the screen is flawless...

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Just get a cheap one on eBay for peace of mind.

9. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Dropped my 4s the other day, the screen hit a sharp metal bracket, the case didn't help in this instance. There was what looked like a nice chip/crack in the screen, nervously pulled my protector off, the protector had been damaged but not the phone. I'm 95% sure without the protector I'd have a cracked or chipped screen right now.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

11. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You need to stop -- you're making WAY too much sense . . .

12. k.i.t.t.o. macrumors newbie

Consider this.

Scenario A: With a screen protector on, you drop the phone or your keys scratch the screen. The sticker absorbs the damage. You peel it off, spend about $6-15 bucks for a new one, and you're back on square one. Happy again.

Scenario B: No screen protector. You scratch the screen. You can either shrug it off and live with it (and if you're asking this question, chances are good you won't want to), or you can take it to Apple and pay $49 for a swap - assuming you have AppleCare+.

$6-$15 vs. $49? Sounds like an easy choice. :)

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I must be nuts too. I used my iPhone 4 for 18 months without a screen protector, now my wife uses it without a protector as well when I upgraded to the 4S and gave her the 4.

The screen doesn't need a screen protector unless you carry diamonds in your pocket.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

She doesn't have a diamond ring? Hands, phone.

I have a diamond band. Shove my hands in my pockets all the time.

15. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I have an Zaag InvisibleShield on mine. I absolutely HATED it the first couple of days I had it (I even made a thread about it). It was all orangepeely and what not. But after a while it settled in and you can't tell it's on the phone now. It hasn't affected the screen resolution or clarity. However, it does have a slightly rubbery texture, but that's a result of it being the most protective screen protector on the market. If you don't want the weird texture, the Crystal screen protectors are lovely.

I use a screen protector because as a dude, I have keys and coins and what not in my pocket and I just toss my phone in there too. No need to worry about screen scratches with an InvisibleShield or any kind of screen protector on there.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

She does, but I dont see why reaching in her pockets would rub the diamond on the screen. When your fingers touch the phone wouldn't you reach your hands around the phone? Unless your diamonds are on the bottom of your ring, I don't see it as an issue.

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Can you use the wet method with those cheap 3 for $1 protectors on eBay? They seem to attract lint from the time you peel off step 1 until you apply it to the screen- 0.5 seconds later.

18. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I'm a dude with diamond earrings and they scratch the crap out of screen protectors I used before the invisible shield . I've seen iPhones scratched by girls earrings all the time. So it's just not the rings that you need to watch out for.

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Digging in her purse as the phone rings in low light or dark. Very plausible.

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

screen protectors are personal preference.

i only have scratches on my iPhone 4 screen because i dropped my phone a few times.. o well :eek:

21. lissa5168 macrumors newbie

Totally personal preference, but when I ordered my Zagg, I opted for the case-friendly version. For some reason, it has less of a rubbery feel than the regular Zaggs ... there is a marked difference in the feel of mine and the feel of my friend's regular Zagg that I ordered for her when I got mine. Not sure if they make the case-friendly version thinner or what the difference is, but mine definitely isn't as rubbery. For those concerned with the rubbery feel, you might try the case-friendly. (It's also inset a little so the cases and bumpers don't peel the edges up.)

22. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would check out the accessories discussions of the iPhone section. There are a lot of reviews of different screen protectors. I personally use a screen protector and there are some scratches on it. I'm not even sure how they got there, but the screen protector is doing it's job:).

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I had an iPod that got scratched on a trip where I was waiting for the case to come in... never again is one of my devices leaving the store without a screen protector and case. If you are OK with your iPhone looking like *****, that's fine, but I want my actual iPhone to look nice, even if the screen protector and case and a little messed up.

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I've never used any screen protector on my 4S and previous 2 iPhones, and there isn't any scratch on all of them. Do you rub your phone's screen against sandpaper?

----------

Did your iPod have a plastic screen or a glass screen?

25. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Same here!

Had Zagg on one of my iPhones.....never really liked it.