Haha. The pro still only has 20 icons per page.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ajiuo, Nov 12, 2015.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I thought it looked bad on the air... But WO! Even the iPhone six has 24 per screen... It's time for Apple to change this.

2. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

The iPad Air should have 6 columns just like the dock... The pro should probably have 8 columns, 6 rows, and an 8 columns dock.

3. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Didn't realize it had fewer per page than the iPhone. Yikes. It looks silly on the Pro.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It is so you can see the wallpaper better!

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

They will make changes as it develops. Is a bummer for now.

6. gottafly macrumors regular

They absolutely must change this. Seems aweful silly to have all that screen real estate and not be able to use it!

Another oversight? i love Apple, but there seem to be a lot of them lately...

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

8. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I never fill the screens up with more than 4 rows anyway.

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

This is kind of how I feel. I use folders quite a lot and as a result, I never use more than one page unless I'm trying out a new app. In fact, a second page is my signal that I downloaded something and maybe forgot to decide to keep and sort it or delete it.

Another thing people are conveniently ignoring is the usability problem. A huge dense grid of smaller icons packed together is going to be a usability nightmare. A solution like Windows live tiles is a much better plan with staggered sizes and background tints to help discern sections and categories across your display.

I do agree that this needs a redesign for all the newer, larger devices, but, I disagree that the solution is adding more columns/rows and increasing icon counts.

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How much time do people spend looking at their "home" screen? I spend next to none with my iPad Air 2 and I'm using it all the time.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I thought it was silly on the first iPad, and I still do

13. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It is a clear letdown that there aren't other options in the menu to pick the grid. The icons being so big look out of place. I keep my font at the smallest setting (same thing I do with desktops, the highest resolution to see the most). I get some people aren't into that.

14. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

I agree this is a complete waste of space. It literally makes no sense to add so much real estate and not use it.

15. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

More time then they would if there were more icons per page.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why? All my apps are in folders and when I want one I swipe down on the screen to get search. Because it now displays most recently used apps 9 times out of 10 I find the app I'm looking for right there.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

How many apps do you have ?

I use a folder for hiding apps I rarely use but have a work screen of 8 apps and a play screen of 12 as well as 6 apps along the bottom.

Am I not using enough ??

19. profets macrumors 68040

Agreed. It would be like complaining about the OS X desktop being empty when all apps are closed.

And besides, if they did increase the number of icons for the iPad Pro, to say a grid of 5x8 or 6x8, would you honestly want to have to look through 40-48 app icons on a single screen to find what you want?

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It's ridiculous. On my air I do a 6 X 6 setup and I think it's perfect. I would imagine more for the pro. The proportion of blank space vs content is just atrocious on the pro.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well, if one likes their iPad Pro to look like "Fisher-Price's My First Tablet" I guess the current situation is fine.

If Apple increased the screen to support 40-48 icons, you still have the choice to keep only 5 or 10 icons.

Having the OPTION to have more icons on a single screen simply makes things easier and more direct for those who use a lot of apps and want to see them on as few screens as possible.

22. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

3 rows in landscape for me. I don't like to "fill" space. I like negative space--and space to have a thought.

But it's personal preference. I use folders; others don't.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They should have allowed for more than just 20 icons on that huge screen. I don't see anything wrong with 5x6 or 5x7.

24. profets macrumors 68040

Honestly, upwards of 48 icons I think would start to just look ugly. I get it though, it is silly in a way to only have 4x5 grid. 5x6 or 5x7 would probably be a decent fit (OS X for comparison is 5x7 on a 16:9 screen).

I think where more improvement could come is making more use of folders or grouping of apps on such a large screen. And with all that screen real estate I'd love to see some more focus put into windowing instead of the default full screen for any app you open. Purely an example - imagine opening an app while the iPad Pro is in landscape and immediately being able to put it into split view with the other half of the screen showing a home screen that would roughly be the size of the iPad Air's home screen. Or maybe even invoking an OS X like mission control when swiping up with four fingers, keeping some spaces dedicated to certain apps that you like to have side by side. I dunno, I just feel like this kind of usability would be more beneficial than just increasing the number of icons on the home screen, especially for an iPad that is really aimed at replacing a laptop.

Hopefully now that they've gotten it out the door they show us something interesting with iOS 10 next year.

25. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie