Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I hate to say it but right now I say the Zune is better than the current iPods.

ONE Cuz of the bigger screens.

TWO Cuz of the wireless song transfer.(Yeah I know about the 3 song thing, but I'm sure it can be hacked/cracked easily.)

THREE Cuz of the guest designers like Stussy.

But, we'll see what apple has up its sleeve when they release the new iPod.

1) Erm, why do you need a screen to listen to music? Sod looking at videos or photos on a poxy small screen (inc iPod ones)

2) Woopee doo!!

3) again, woopee doo. Stussy, how very 1990s:rolleyes:

You've got some convincing arguments there. Well done.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Does the Zune even sync yet without crashing? I believe that was a problem when it was realeased.

If it still doesn't then it's worse than a 1G iPod.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I hate to say it but right now I say the Zune is better than the current iPods.

ONE Cuz of the bigger screens.

TWO Cuz of the wireless song transfer.(Yeah I know about the 3 song thing, but I'm sure it can be hacked/cracked easily.)

THREE Cuz of the guest designers like Stussy.

But, we'll see what apple has up its sleeve when they release the new iPod.

I tend to agree with point 1, the Zune feature wise is better than the current iPod line plus the Zune doesn't scratch as easy. On paper the Zune looks a lot better (spec wise) while the current iPods are looking like they need an update soon.

However the Zune's strengths are also very limiting, wireless sounds good but 3 songs limits, hack/crack issues are rife, brown (what were they thinking it's not even a nice brown) and only for Windows.

With the Zune there's very little support for bonus item like speakers, cases , etc where iPod reins surpreme in these areas. The reality is that Apple will update the iPod some and hopefully add a bigger screen, made from the same stuff as the Nanos/Shuffles, more colours and hopefully some sort of WiFi or Bluetooth capacity then the iPod will assert the is no subsitute for a real iPod.

One last point..... Stussy what is this 1995?

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Meh. I prefer the Zune UI over the iPod's. The focus on album art and the effects are really nice. It also seems to be a lot more stronger and scratch-resistant. If it just was possible to sync it with a Mac (easily), I'd serously consider it to be a better choice than an iPod.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Zune, Is that thing still around? Honestly I had forgotten all about it.

ian-frs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2007
ATL
My household owns 3 zunes and not one of them have crashed syncing, I belive that is just stupid people trying to use the product incorectly. The zunes wifi is a hardware device that with a firmware upgrade can be used to buy songs over any internet connection or even sync over a network and not have to be attatched to a computer. The reason we can't do any of that is due to microsoft having some issues witht he FCC and such. One last thing, the headphones that come with the zune are the same ones that come with the ipod but in black and with a magnet on the back(so they don't tangle). The add is once again offering the zune premium headphones.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Why brown?!? Is this M$ trying to be hip and start a new colour trend?

I think it was an ill-conceived tie-in with South Park.
293237792_359442cd12_o.jpg

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I belive that is just stupid people trying to use the product incorectly.

Right, which is why Ars Technica had problems, though they may have fixed the issue since release with a software update.

Anyway I've never heard of users have problems with iTunes crashing while syncing music.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Headphones do come standard with the zune. Those are the premium head phones they are offering. I don't know what you guys have against the zune and just the zune. Why don't you guys insult the sansa as well. I love my mac computers but I like my zune alot more then my ipod. The UI is simpler then the Ipods I think and not having the click wheel dare I say it is nice. Sorry for the little rant but I am sick of reading zune bashes.

Hey there Ian, I remember you from Zunescene. I got my brown Zune and million iPods. Word.

Yeah, I really love having everything in life. Yummy :D

Zune + iPod wifi chatting someday ... word.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
There are Zune people around here?? Ack!! Traitors!! Seize them!! They must not be allowed to live!! :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: sigh.... that's better, more apples......things are right with the world again.....

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Why brown?!? Is this M$ trying to be hip and start a new colour trend? Maybe it's their view of the new M$ world order, where everyone will wear brown and grey smocks, with black pants. Ugh! And what's amazon doing putting that on their front page? They want to attract customers, not frighten them away, or is this a new business model to which I am unfamiliar?

Edit: I know the colour choice has been talked about before, I just never got a chance to put in my two cents. :p

They mays well have gone with wood panelling.. like those station wagons from the 70s.. pretty much the same thing right? :p

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
People always make mistakes.

The thing is here is that one of the leading technology sites on the internet has had a problem with auto-syncing the Zune crashing, and with multiple Zune's (as mentioned in the review, and I'd imagine multiple PC's) too so it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. Yet no-one, not even people who know nothing about computers, has a general problem with iPods and auto-syncing, unless the hardware itself is faulty.

To me that seems like there is a problem with the software for the product, and I find it difficult to believe otherwise.

Now according to the review manual syncing works fine so if that is what you do you then won't hit any problems <shrug>.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
why do people keep bringing up the point about a bigger screen on the Zune?

it's the same fracking resolution. yawn. move along.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
why do people keep bringing up the point about a bigger screen on the Zune?

it's the same fracking resolution. yawn. move along.

Yeah, but it's BIGGER, and bigger is better!
The fact that the rest of it is a sack of cack is irrelevant!

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Bigger screen, even if it is the same resonlution, is a good thing.
32" SDTV resolution screen > 14" SDTV resolution screen
3" screen with 320x240 resolution > 2.5" screen with 320x240 resolution
Zune screen > iPod screen

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

But no matter which way you rub it a 3" screen is pointless for video.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002

Huh? The lower pixel density of the Zune's screen = a less sharp image.

Same resolution larger screen degrades the quality. It is just like when you take a photo into photoshop and keep the pixel count the same but increase the width and height, it gets soft.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
But no matter which way you rub it a 3" screen is pointless for video.

Have you seen the two side by side?

(I needn't really ask that of a true-blue Apple zealot, but just to be polite you know ;) )

It's actually quite a noticeable difference. I feel much less self-conscious watching the video podcasts on the Zune for example, and it is on the whole nicer to look at than the iPod. As for which is better it's 50:50 for me. The Zune works better for me for some things, while the iPod does better in others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.