Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Well this is a new low for quality control for me - my brand new iPhone X was just delivered and there are fine hairline scratches all over the screen. One is especially noticeable. Total disgrace. I can't capture it on my iPhone 5C camera, but it's there. Please check your X with the screen off under a bright light when you open it to see for yourself. I am hoping my experience is a one off thing. I was very excited for this today, but I should have known better.
[doublepost=1509728854][/doublepost]Also, does anyone know what I should do now with my SIM cards if I have activated the new iPhone X with its new SIM card (Verizon). Should I take it out and put it in my old 5C? Does Apple need the new SIM card with the returned phone?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2012
That’s normal, I’m looking at the display models of the X and it’s the way it is

As long as it’s working that’s all that matters, just put a tempered glass screen protector

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Aren't you the same person that said you've returned dozens of iPads?

Dozens! As in more than 24 returns.

Maybe it's time to consider the possibility that Apple products are not for you.
Yes sir that's me! But I'm not making anything up. The issues are there. It's not about Apple products not being for me. I wouldn't accept this from any manufacturer. And as I have stated dozens of times before - I am deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. Because my new iPhone X has noticeable scratches on the glass then Apple products aren't for me. Got it. I'm asking for a product without faults out of the box, especially a $1,000+ phone. I love Apple products when they aren't faulty - which I can't seem to get, which is not my fault or problem but Apple's.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes sir that's me! But I'm not making anything up. The issues are there. It's not about Apple products not being for me. I wouldn't accept this from any manufacturer. And as I have stated dozens of times before - I am deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. Because my new iPhone X has noticeable scratches on the glass then Apple products aren't for me. Got it. I'm asking for a product without faults out of the box, especially a $1,000+ phone. I love Apple products when they aren't faulty - which I can't seem to get, which is not my fault or problem but Apple's.

Right, but what is the definition of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Hell, I've been burned by BMW and HP once and have never given either a dime of money since. And that's just once!

AL18

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
When i was reading through your problem remembered samsung first curved screen that had same issue you described

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
This phone is beautiful and I love everything about it, except the scratches!

There are more scratches but this isn't the only one showing up on camera.

And the scratches are definitely in the glass. Since I'm returning it and I don't care about the oleophobic coating anyway, I decided to use a bit of alcohol to see if the scratches are in the coating or the glass- but they are indeed in the glass.

jwcdis

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
View attachment 731642 View attachment 731643 View attachment 731644 View attachment 731645 View attachment 731646 This phone is beautiful and I love everything about it, except the scratches!

There are more scratches but this isn't the only one showing up on camera.

And the scratches are definitely in the glass. Since I'm returning it and I don't care about the oleophobic coating anyway, I decided to use a bit of alcohol to see if the scratches are in the coating or the glass- but they are indeed in the glass.

Definitely not touch matrix (ITO) indium tin oxide. that's a scratch

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I recall your previous posts, and all the returns you had with your iPads and Apple Watches, etc. I don't understand how you experience this much quality control issues. I'm not saying I don't believe you, But I also recall you stating that you were no longer supporting Apple products any further from previous posts.

Regardless, some find more defects than others when you're looking for them or if they stand out. Just take advantage of the return. And you will get a new iPhone.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Ok, so you are mad, I get it. Take it into Apple. Don't use it. They will take care of you. It happens with everything. Being upset here isn't going to solve anything for you. I believe that the scratches are there. Get that sorted. :)

I'm not dealing with the Apple Store and limited stock, etc. just returning it. No exchanging. I guess it will make people here happy that I won't be exchanging or returning / rebuying like I didn't with the iPads to try my luck.

Right, but what is the definition of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Hell, I've been burned by BMW and HP once and have never given either a dime of money since. And that's just once!

Yes, but as I explained above, I don't think I have much of a choice.

Post a picture
Consider it done.

"I returned dozens of iPads but I'm not making this up." Really? If you're really not making it up, take it back to a store.

I will be returning via mail the way I ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Give OP a break people, no one would like scratches on a new phone. Apple's quality doesn't go up as the price does. I myself wasn't at all happy with the fit and finish of the stainless steel watch and exchanged it for the regular aluminum one, which was fine.

Hey OP, what's the deal with the bottom left side of the screen? It's probably a weird reflection or something, but it looks like a squiggly line (kind of as if you have a incorrectly aligned screen protector on, but I'm assuming you don't).

Reactions: Jackorias

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I recall your previous posts, and all the returns you had with your iPads and Apple Watches, etc. I don't understand how you experience this much quality control issues. I'm not saying I don't believe you, But I also recall you stating that you were no longer supporting Apple products any further from previous posts.

Regardless, some find more defects than others when you're looking for them or if they stand out. Just take advantage of the return. And you will get a new iPhone.

I did say that at one point, but eventually I need a new phone and tablet. As I said above, what are really my choices? I think I've done a good job for many months - I gave up buying any new iPhones or iPads. The only reason I gave this a shot was the new screen technology and the new design. One time try and now I'm done. I'm not wasting my time with constant exchanges and returns anymore. Maybe in a few months I'll try again, but especially with the limited stock of the X I am not wasting my time. And of course I am going to look at my new $1,000 phone to see if there are defects- why wouldn't I?
[doublepost=1509732398][/doublepost]
Give OP a break people, no one would like scratches on a new phone. Apple's quality doesn't go up as the price does. I myself wasn't at all happy with the fit and finish of the stainless steel watch and exchanged it for the regular aluminum one, which was fine.

Hey OP, what's the deal with the bottom left side of the screen? It's probably a weird reflection or something, but it looks like a squiggly line (kind of as if you have a incorrectly aligned screen protector on, but I'm assuming you don't).
That's just a reflection of my left arm. Remember I'm taking this with a 5C camera. No screen protector. Plastic is only still on the back.

Also, if anyone knows what I'm supposed to do with the SIM card situation before returning this phone I would appreciate that.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
He's leaving the glass on to keep oils from getting on the screen most likely and make it easier to photo. I received 2 of them and they have scratches on one as the OP and another with a pinkish hue along the top and right side. QC is lacking. I posted pics in another thread. Perhaps threads can be merged.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Well I wasn't that far off. I said it would be no later than 10am when we'd see the first "ZOMG the Hubble Space Telescope has spotted a scratch on my X" thread...

... and it was 10:03am.

Reactions: mikegoldnj

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
He's leaving the glass on to keep oils from getting on the screen most likely and make it easier to photo. I received 2 of them and they have scratches on one as the OP and another with a pinkish hue along the top and right side. QC is lacking. I posted pics in another thread. Perhaps threads can be merged.
I'm not sure what you mean by leaving the glass on. There isn't nothing on that screen in my pics- the scratch is in the glass itself. As are the other smaller ones. I will have to check out your thread now - sorry you're dealing with this too. I also have screen protectors - HD clear from Tech Armor (I don't like tempered glass) and the scratches are still visible with one on, I've tried. But that's besides the point. I shouldn't have to conceal scratches on my brand new device. Apple will take the scratched phone and enjoy it and I'll enjoy my $1,000+ being back in my pocket.
[doublepost=1509733145][/doublepost]
Well I wasn't that far off. I said it would be no later than 10am when we'd see the first "ZOMG the Hubble Space Telescope has spotted a scratch on my X" thread...

... and it was 10:03am.
Yeah, because my naked eye at arm's length is a telescope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.