Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaoticprout

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Help, what do I do! Using windows xp service pack 2, and it says hal.dll is corrupt or missing, what do i do, i cant reinstall! Thanks

Jan 30, 2006
Something similar happened to me.

First thing to do is to save all your files. You can acces you Windows partition from Mac OS X and copy all your Windows files to the Mac side.

Then just open the BootCamp utility and select to make the HD only one partition again. Then procede to install Windows again.
I found a way to repair the problem and re-install only the missing file, but it was a lot of work and very complicated.

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
all the setup files were installed and everything with the CD
it reboots then it wont even go into the xp installation.
First time i did this on my mac pro it went without any problems... but now it's giving me all this hal.dll
Ack!
and how can u merge the HD if one was windows?

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Majority of hal.dll error is due to boot.ini problem.

If you google it, there are many sites showing how to determine if you do in fact missing hal.dll or not.

If you are missing hal.dll, it can be extracted via XP CD in safe boot mode.

If you do have hal.dll (the majority of cases), you need to correct boot.ini file. You need to identify which partition XP is installed and correct boot.ini to point XP installation to correct partition.

Most likely, your boot.ini will be something like

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(x)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(x)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

where x = partition #. Dont forget that partition does not start from 0 but from 1.

If you are not familiar with Windows and dont have time to run, just delete XP partition from OSX disk utility and reinstall XP from begining.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Something similar happened to me.

First thing to do is to save all your files. You can acces you Windows partition from Mac OS X and copy all your Windows files to the Mac side.

Then just open the BootCamp utility and select to make the HD only one partition again. Then procede to install Windows again.
I found a way to repair the problem and re-install only the missing file, but it was a lot of work and very complicated.

I just spent 3 hours with the same problem on a fresh reinstall. The only way to fix it is to do what is stated above. I guess when you reinstall boot camp is doing something to the partition.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this is an issue for me here but a bit different.

I have BootCamp running nicely, but when I tried to install Parallels it seemed to take for ever (apparently it is supposed to be very easy if BootCamp is already set up). i want to have Parallels so that if required I can switch to Windoze without rebooting.

Now here is the weird part: in my boot.ini I have two references to Parallels neither of which will boot up, but the one in the middle is fine. [Obviously two references to the same partition is not good, any suggestions?]

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll

jsnola

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
My experience

I did read the instructions of boot camp and parallels but I ignored the warning about XP SP2 cd required. SO I successfully installed a boot camp partition and then windows xp sp1, I could not upgrade the partition from boot camp - I was however able to update it to SP2 from parallels - and parallels worked ok with parallels tools - I could not then boot natively back into boot camp - I tried all the posts replacing the missing and corrupt files, but nothing worked. While parallels worked boot camp stalled at missing or corrupt ntfs.sys when booting natively.

I gave up and then tried reinstalling windows again - but got the error message "Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart" when trying to launch the setup at 2nd reboot.

I gave up - using boot camp assistant I un-partitioned the drive back to 1 mac os drive, then restarted (a windows user here) then repartitioned and reinstalled windows using an SP2 cd - this time I got the error - missing or corrupt hal.dll file when trying to launch the setup at 2nd reboot.

SO this time I really gave up - I have had issues before with residual files from previous windows installations not going away completely - so his time I made the drive one os drive again, ran the disk utility, the permissions utility, and finally the erase all empty space on disk option (the quick all zeros option). Then I repartitioned the drive with boot camp assistant, and then reinstalled windows successfully entering the setup screen.

Now I will follow the manual!!!

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
I had a HAL.dll error and it was temporary, caused by Parallels crashing. I rebooted my Mac, re-ran Parallels and then did a successful shutdown of Parallels. After that, Bootcamp was working again.

brkirch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2001
For anyone who has been using Parallels with their Boot Camp partition and is now having the missing hal.dll problem, try the solutions given in this post.

NeoThoR

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
For anyone who has been using Parallels with their Boot Camp partition and is now having the missing hal.dll problem, try the solutions given in this post.

I have this same problem.. and reading this i have no idea what the hell you guys mean by 'Parrallels'

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
This has been brought up in the past. No need to go through the hassle of reformatting. Bust out the Windows XP CD, go into the recovery console, and set up the boot.ini again. I don't have instructions off the top of my head, but they are in this forum, and I'm sure they have been posted plenty of times.

naql

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
This works, thanks.

This fixed me right up, thanks. I had mangled the boot.ini, apparently, in breaking out of a parallels desktop startup. Changed partition number from 3 to 2, works now.

Majority of hal.dll error is due to boot.ini problem.

If you do have hal.dll (the majority of cases), you need to correct boot.ini file. You need to identify which partition XP is installed and correct boot.ini to point XP installation to correct partition.

Most likely, your boot.ini will be something like

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(x)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(x)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

where x = partition #. Dont forget that partition does not start from 0 but from 1.

cpadude

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
Is there a way to fix the hal.dll error without reinstalling windows? Every time I reinstall windows, I get the same hal.dll error.

I'd rather just go into boot.ini and edit it to look for the proper partition. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Is there a way to fix the hal.dll error without reinstalling windows? Every time I reinstall windows, I get the same hal.dll error.

I'd rather just go into boot.ini and edit it to look for the proper partition. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

Boot off the windows CD, at the first setup screen press R for recovery console.

It will ask to log onto Windows (usually 1) then enter and asks for the Administrator password if you've set one else another enter.

Then type the following lines followed by enter

attrib -h -r -s c:\boot.ini
del c:\boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot

type exit and it'll restart.

plat4m

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
If you're having problems with hal.dll then it's because of missing bootloading. The #1 reason is people forgetting to named the partition "BOOTCAMP" when they reformat the drive. Remember to reformat in NTFS or FAT, and never to use "leave as it is" selection on installation.

Best of luck
Thomas
Apple Service Assistent

Regulas

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Easy Fix

My hardware is a Mac Mini Snow Leopard installing XP SP3 (SP2 same fix)

Let the Bootcamp partition out the drive in OS X and start your install.

When XP asks where to put it DO NOT DELETE ANY PARTITIONS.
Select the FAT32 partition that bootcamp made for you and press continue. XP will then ask if you want to reformat that partition and say yes, NTSF Fast or slow if you want to wait.

That is all it took for me after several tries getting missing hal.dll

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Google Translate said:
who is also the problem that some Macs can not install XPPro on NTFS, the solution here in brief:

* Creating a new partition with boot camp (remove old first!)

* Start the installation

* The first blue screen ("To install a SCSI driver, press F6 Third Party") F10 key and wait until the console will appear - it takes ...

* Format c: / fs: ntfs enter

* Typing exit

* Computer restarts, start XP installation

* Existing file system to take - not format!

Basically seems to be force the partition to be NTFS formatted.

B

fulhamgardens1

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Hi guys,
I don't know how much I read from different forums and blogs re this problem - nothing worked for me.
Suddenly I came across someone's suggestion about installing 'ipartition', creating a bootable disc from the program (on a dvd) and rebooting mac off this dvd. Once loaded, select all of the partitions (except BOOTCAMP and Macintosh HD) from the left hand bottom panel (one at a time of course). Run the 'inspector' (choose from 'view' menu), choose 'partition' tab in inspector. In there, there is 'make visible to windows' option which is selected by default. Uncheck it for each partition, except for bootcamp and Macintosh HD.
With this, bootcamp (windows) sees only one mac partition (Macintosh HD).
You are done!
Exit the program and reboot the computer. Select 'windows' during the reboot as usual (by pressing the option key).
No 'hal.dll' missing...anymore.
Windows will load up normally!

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Sorry for gravedigging, but it seems like all of you have already resolved this problem.

So what I understood in this thread :

~Partition with Bootcamp
~Change the Windows Partition to NTFS
~Install Windows XP

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if I'm missing some steps.

Some say it's the "boot.ini" as the problem, here is what's stated in my boot.ini :

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Some say it's the "boot.ini" as the problem, here is what's stated in my boot.ini

Why do you have so many entries in your boot.ini? Do you actually have that many disks and partitions?

Which Mac is this? What is the source of your XP installer? (retail, OEM, ...)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.