Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Why do you have so many entries in your boot.ini? Do you actually have that many disks and partitions?

Which Mac is this? What is the source of your XP installer? (retail, OEM, ...)

B

Thank you for the respond, I don't actually know why it has so much partitions, but I only have 2 partitions, 1 for Windows and 1 for mac.

I am using MacBook, with a Windows XP Bootable USB.

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
This might be the problem. Can you describe what you mean in more detail.

B

Used Win2Flash to make this WinXP USB Bootable.

If I try Text Install, it's ok.

But after Text Install, I can see that their is a Partition of Windows in the "alt/option" key, and in the rEFIt startup, and if I try to press on one of those it shows a Windows documentation... error.

And if I try to boot on my USB, it shows the Eee, but after the Eee it shows the Windows documentation error again.

Some say I have to reboot twice after the text installation, so what I do I go through the Windows partition & during the Eee, I press f8 and in the selection I press Reboot.

After the Reboot, it shows black but even if I wait 5-10 minutes it will only show Black.

Thanks in advance for being an awesome person :]

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Used Win2Flash to make this WinXP USB Bootable.

If I try Text Install, it's ok.

But after Text Install, I can see that their is a Partition of Windows in the "alt/option" key, and in the rEFIt startup, and if I try to press on one of those it shows a Windows documentation... error.

And if I try to boot on my USB, it shows the Eee, but after the Eee it shows the Windows documentation error again.

Some say I have to reboot twice after the text installation, so what I do I go through the Windows partition & during the Eee, I press f8 and in the selection I press Reboot.

After the Reboot, it shows black but even if I wait 5-10 minutes it will only show Black.

Thanks in advance for being an awesome person :]

Also this is the boot.ini after the text installtion inside the Windows partition.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Also when I check the Disk Utility, I see Mac OS X & disk0s3.

When I click Mac OS X, it's Mac OS Extended(Journal)
disk0s3, it's Mac OS Extended(Journal), in the Volume Format.

From my past experience, I think disk0s3 is the Untitled partition in the desktop of my Mac, and the partition of Windows in the rEFIt/alt/option key startup.

& I think it should be NTFS, I think something went wrong during my text installation, there were 4 option

Convert to NTFS, that other 2 NTFS(Quick or not quick), & leave as it is. Which one should I choose? I chose the 2nd the "notquick"

user1690

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
Try, try, try and try again. :D

I had this problem a few minutes ago on my iMac but it seems to have fixed itself?

I tried the following:

Open Bootcamp Assistant, partition the drive as you wish (i had 55GB for XP Partition)

Let it partition.

Insert your XP Install CD

Let the system reboot and wait for the CD to be launched.

Wait until windows loads all the nessecary data to launch the setup.

Select the drive labeled <BOOTCAMP> <FAT32>

Then select Format as NTFS (I selected "Format as NTFS (Quick) )

Press F to confirm you wish to format.

Let the drive format.

The file copy proccess now begins...

Grab a tea/coffee and some biscuits and watch some TV

When the proccess is done your computer will reboot, TOUCH NOTHING! Let the CD launch again, only this time the system will say "Press any key to boot from CD..." DONT DO THAT! Let is dissapear.

--This is where my problems began, i would get the hal.dll error, so i tried all the stuff above again, and again, burning new CD's.... and now it just went away? And is continuing the installation. Which is odd, maybe my system was having some sorta glitch during the install that hasnt happened again. So a obvious tip here, if it didnt work the first time, try and try again. Good luck!

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
I had this problem a few minutes ago on my iMac but it seems to have fixed itself?

I tried the following:

Open Bootcamp Assistant, partition the drive as you wish (i had 55GB for XP Partition)

Let it partition.

Insert your XP Install CD

Let the system reboot and wait for the CD to be launched.

Wait until windows loads all the nessecary data to launch the setup.

Select the drive labeled <BOOTCAMP> <FAT32>

Then select Format as NTFS (I selected "Format as NTFS (Quick) )

Press F to confirm you wish to format.

Let the drive format.

The file copy proccess now begins...

Grab a tea/coffee and some biscuits and watch some TV

When the proccess is done your computer will reboot, TOUCH NOTHING! Let the CD launch again, only this time the system will say "Press any key to boot from CD..." DONT DO THAT! Let is dissapear.

--This is where my problems began, i would get the hal.dll error, so i tried all the stuff above again, and again, burning new CD's.... and now it just went away? And is continuing the installation. Which is odd, maybe my system was having some sorta glitch during the install that hasnt happened again. So a obvious tip here, if it didnt work the first time, try and try again. Good luck!

Thing is I'm not using CD, I'm using USB.

^_^

johzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Error :

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem

Could not read from the selected boot disk check boot path and disk hardware.

That's what happens after Text Installation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.