Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 13 Pro models feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera with autofocus that enables macro photography, allowing users to take close-up photos of flowers, insects, and other objects that are as close as 2cm to the camera lens.

UI-Closeup-Macro-4-16x9.jpg

Apple's Macro Mode is limited to iPhone 13 Pro models, but those with older iPhones can now get in on the action, as Halide today announced that it has updated its popular third-party camera app with its own Macro Mode, with no accessories required. The feature is available on all iPhones with a Neural Engine, including the iPhone 8 and newer.

Halide said its Macro Mode first checks which one of your iPhone's camera lenses can focus the closest and switches to it. Then, the feature provides ultra-precise focus control down to the sub-millimeter to ensure the photo looks sharp. Finally, an AI-based feature called Neural Macro further enhances close-up details of the photo once shot.

succulent-iphone-12-pro.jpeg
Halide's sample photo shot with its Macro Mode on iPhone 12 Pro

If you already have an iPhone 13 Pro model, Halide said its Macro Mode essentially stacks on top of Apple's Macro Mode, resulting in "staggeringly close, microscope-like shots that are even more highly magnified."

To turn on Macro Mode in the Halide app, first tap the AF button to get into manual focus, and then tap the flower button. The feature is available as a free update for all existing users, with version 2.5 of the app rolling out on the App Store today. For new users, the Halide app is priced at $2.99 per month or $11.99 per year, or $49.99 as a one-time purchase.

Article Link: Halide's New Macro Mode Lets You Take Close-Up Photos Without an iPhone 13 Pro

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Just played with this for a few minutes. VERY good implementation of Macro and superior to Apple's (which granted has to be more mass-market, no-frills) but as a photographer, this is a fantastic 2.5 release. I just put Hallide back in my iPhone's dock after a few months of just shooting lazy with default camera.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
Was tempted, but not anymore. If you don't like subscriptions as they mention, you can also buy the app for $50. I completely understand that they want to make money, but that is a pretty steep price. Maybe worth it for some, but not for me.

Juraj22

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Ok, after new update there is flower button, but results on iPhone 11Pro are not good. AI upscaling is not magic, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Was tempted, but not anymore. If you don't like subscriptions as they mention, you can also buy the app for $50. I completely understand that they want to make money, but that is a pretty steep price. Maybe worth it for some, but not for me.

it's a highly functional camera app (far as i can tell) with support for a number of advanced features. for handheld photographers that care a lot about having lots of ways to take crafty photos, that sounds incredibly cheap.

for the run of the mill user, i dont even know why this would click on their radar as relevant. the integrated camera app is probably more than good enough for at least 90% of users.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008

this is what I did a year ago. I give Adobe $50 a month, Apple $35 a month and Office $9 a month. I would prefer to pay them just one time and I'm thrilled Hallide offers that. there's only one subscription I have via the App Store which is 1Blocker for $6.99 a year. The rest I'm on annual plans with like I pay HBO Max, Sirius just one time per year. Hulu+Disney included in my Verizon plan but I'm a huge fan of annual / one-time over monthly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.