Halo 3 #1 in....JAPAN????!!!?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zero2dash, Oct 4, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Wow :eek: :D

http://kotaku.com/gaming/un****ingb...oftware-chart-where-halo-3-does-ok-306918.php

This is major on several levels.

1) It's a 360 game in the one region the system is doing terrible
    2) It's a FPS in a land of RPG fans
    3) It beat out Pokemon AND FF7 Crisis Core

+ now it has done $300 million in 1 week (software sales alone - doesn't take into account how many systems were sold or the $ revenue from those console sales).

This could help turn things around for Microsoft especially going into the holidays where more sales will surely come.

2. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

that is so so so so very sad. Our terrible media has stretched outside of the U.S. There are so many better games that should get the spotlight.

how did this game get so big??

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Microsoft's bribes and moneybags, thats how. It for sure had NOTHING to do with it being a good game, cause it isn't one.

If it hit #1 on a release week for a large Japanese game I would be more surprised. 360 hardware sales are still meh there, if it keeps up to #1 for a few weeks ill be impressed, but this is probably a one shot deal like the PSP numbers we saw on FF release. It basically means that the current owners of 360 hardware finally found something to buy ;)

4. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You know they're in Week 3, right?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So do I

7. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I think Microsoft 300 millions sales on the Halo 3 disagree with you. To each his own I guess. And no one bribed be to buy the game. Its a great multiplayer experience.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm between the 2. It's a rubbish single player offering nothing new or original, but a blast in co-op. Multiplayer isn't worth bothering with unless it's local.

Does amaze me at the whole situation. The situation in the US and Japan is mad. Utterly mad.

Ps. Our very own copy arrived this morning. Collectors edition (cut down in price to regular version, probably because of the damage). Arrived damaged of course. Dents in the tin. But the store were smart enough to remove the discs from the original case and put them in 2 regular plastic ones.

9. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

There are at least 400k 360's in the region and it only pushed 60k
    (thats barely 6% of the total install base)

Not too shabby for an FPS in a region dominated by RPG's, but its not "Un-****ing-Believable" either. Considering it is the premier franchise for the 360 I expect it to get out to at least 25% of the total install base.......but we'll have to wait and see. Many games have seen the top 10 in their opening week in japan, but many also lack staying power.

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Not worth bothering unless it's local ? Why is that. I played with people from my friend's list all the time and it's a blast. As far as the Single Player, you might say "uninspired" is a good word if you play on Normal. It's just way to easy. Try to play on Legendary and it's a whole new experience. Of course Legendary Co-Op is freaking awesome.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

(60,000 / 400,000) * 100 = 15% :confused:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why does everyone keep telling me to play on Legendary, what the hell are you supposed to do in a 4 player co-op :rolleyes:

13. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

:eek:

got my number bassackwards.........400k/60k
    (but there are probably more like 450 to 500k)

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Lol !!! You can find skull :rolleyes: :D

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Breaking News!

A massive blizzard has just broken out in hell. The River Stix has frozen over and boats are currently unable to cross.

16. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Or run around and pwn the AI with 3 other human players, in turn making the AI look like a bunch of lag-riddled n00bs.

My challenge stands to all those who say the game is too easy. Play solo on Legendary and see how easy you think it is then. ;) The tables are turned...the AI has you running around like a lag-riddled n00b. :p :D

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Wow how did Halo become so big? I mean they ARE fun games, especially in multiplayer but they are nothing spectacular and hardly any revolutionary.

Halo is probably the most overrated game of history and its completely undeserving of currently being the biggest game on Earth.

The Orange Box is coming in a few days, no one is paying attention to that but its probably like 1000x better than Halo 3, in both single and multiplayer.

But yeah I guess to each his own but I thought Halo wasn't that great and I am a HUGE Bungie fan (for their Marathon games).

18. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Half-life 2 story was great and it deserve the same amount of attention the Halo 3. My only concern with HL2 is the fact you alway felt like you were on the run. I always felt stressful when I played it.

19. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I can't wait for Orange Box ;)
    may have to trade in some games to get it (broke as usual) but I can't wait...

TF2 is reason enough for me to buy it. (countless nights back in the day spent playing TFC)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just tried a co-op with my bro, starting afresh. He turned it off after the millionth cliched appearence of Cortana.

Had a few games online. Served as fodder to remind me how much I need to play TF2 before the nights out.

And to folk who have pre-ordered Orange Box, you can preload Ep2 and Portal now! Gaming heaven in 6 days.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't understand some of the snobbery going on around here.

Regardless of whether you like or dislike Halo as a game, is it that hard to acknowledge it's success and give it the credit that it deserves for being so successful.

The game does what it does well, and multiplayer - very well indeed. It might not be my cup of tea, but I imagine if this was 'any' other game on 'any' other platform and we were discussing it's global success, we would be doing so with a lot less silliness and snobbishness.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's because it was hyped as the be-all end-all FPS, is all. Hype bites back.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Say the same thing when SMG crash and burn:D....yanking ya chain.
    Halo3 is a good game...and only reason I think it worthy of all this attention is because it sold really really well....respect for that.

Halo3 is a very regular FPS that doesn't add anything to the genre but can you tell me one game that has in the past couple of years besides bioshock/HL2....nope.

Glad to see H3 doing well in Japan......still don't think it did anything to spike the sales in JP though.

Matter of fact I don't think it spike sales of the console on the whole.

Bless

24. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Sorry, I don't recall Halo being hyped as a 'be all, end all FPS'.

I remember back in the mid-90s when the PC alphas were shown running on Voodoo 2 cards and they said back then it was going to be a great game. When they were showing it on the [child smasher] box it was going to be a great game.

I don't recall anyone (level headed) saying it was going to be the greatest FPS of all time or anything though.

25. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I am Symtex and I approved this message :D