Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asu1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
If anyone has the watch OS 7 beta installed and is using the hand washing reminder where it will alert you when your home, will you let me know if it’s working? I can’t even enable the option because it says I have not added my home address to my card in contacts. I absolutely have my home address in my card so I don’t understand what the problem is. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

Dave.Inwood1988

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2019
Mine has worked fine since day 1. Although I thought it was broken because it wasn’t working. But then i realised i hasn’t switched it on

asu1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Mi
Mine has worked fine since day 1. Although I thought it was broken because it wasn’t working. But then i realised i hasn’t switched it on
Mine won’t even allow me to switch it on. It’s grayed out. Says I need to add my home address to my card in contacts and I’ve already done that so I don’t know what else to do.

Reactions: nheilweil

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
FWIW mine has worked since day 1 - I enabled it and it just works. However, if i come home and wash my hands immediately (well within 1-2 mins) it doesn't remind me.

Hope this helps AW5 WatchOS7 B3.

asu1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Why on earth would you need your home address to enable a hand washing feature???? That simply does not make sense.
Supposedly it will remind you when you come home to wash your hands. As of right now, I don't have the option to enable it because it says that I have not added my home address in contacts under the "my card" but I have added it so I don't know what is going on. I have gave up on this for now. The handwashing feature itself is working so I am just using that.

Reactions: nheilweil

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Supposedly it will remind you when you come home to wash your hands. As of right now, I don't have the option to enable it because it says that I have not added my home address in contacts under the "my card" but I have added it so I don't know what is going on. I have gave up on this for now. The handwashing feature itself is working so I am just using that.
Same here. I have a home address listed on my card in contacts (and have deleted and reentered that address just to see if that helped) but I can’t select the option for reminders on my Watch either and have same error as you.

asu1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Same here. I have a home address listed on my card in contacts (and have deleted and reentered that address just to see if that helped) but I can’t select the option for reminders on my Watch either and have same error as you.
Yeah it is really weird. I guess as long as the handwashing feature is working which mine is, that is the most important thing but I just can't get any reminders.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Turned it off cuz it would keep activating while riding my bike on gravel ground. I am guessing the watch thinks the sound of the bike riding on gravel + the shacking wrist comes from running water ??‍♂️

PEVO

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2019
I’ve installed watchOS 7 beta on my Series 3 Apple Watch, but I can’t see the Hand Washing feature in the settings app. It’s available only in US?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I’ve installed watchOS 7 beta on my Series 3 Apple Watch, but I can’t see the Hand Washing feature in the settings app. It’s available only in US?

It's working fine on my S5 and I'm in the UK and on the Public Beta 7.0 (18R5350e)

I'm keeping my S3 on watchOS 6 as a fallback so I can't tell you if it's a series thing.

PEVO

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2019
It's working fine on my S5 and I'm in the UK and on the Public Beta 7.0 (18R5350e)

I'm keeping my S3 on watchOS 6 as a fallback so I can't tell you if it's a series thing.

I don’t know if there is something to activate in the Health app on the iPhone, but I can’t find any toggle about hands washing

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I don't really understand the whole hand-washing feature. Do people not know how to wash their hands corretly?

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I don’t know if there is something to activate in the Health app on the iPhone, but I can’t find any toggle about hands washing

The hand washing feature is only available on Series 4 and later.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Ops. My mistake. I was sure that it works from Series 3 to Series 5

Unfortunately, it does not. WatchOS 7 skipped a couple features for the Series 3 due to hardware limitations. Much like WatchOS 6 where the Series 3 did not get the ambient noise monitor.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Why on earth would you need your home address to enable a hand washing feature???? That simply does not make sense.
Why on earth would anyone ever need a hand washing feature in the first place? When did people stop teaching their children to wash their hands as soon as they get home? Was it on the same day they stopped teaching them to take off their shoes?

Seriously, do people really need reminders for everything? We've already got that stupendously braindead breathe reminder, so what's next? "Hey, about about a nice, long poop?" "Hey, have you brushed your teeth lately?" "Hey, don't forget to shower!"

This is how the world ends.

Reactions: sfrangu

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Why on earth would anyone ever need a hand washing feature in the first place? When did people stop teaching their children to wash their hands as soon as they get home? Was it on the same day they stopped teaching them to take off their shoes?

Seriously, do people really need reminders for everything? We've already got that stupendously braindead breathe reminder, so what's next? "Hey, about about a nice, long poop?" "Hey, have you brushed your teeth lately?" "Hey, don't forget to shower!"

You’re really opening yourself up to heavy criticism with this post. Here’s a thought...why don’t you do some research first? What is the major worldwide event happening in 2020? How does this relate to hand washing? Why would you need to wash you hands when you get home?
As for children - well, we don’t live in Pleasantville anymore.

Oh and...the breathe reminder is to remind you to stop and take some time for mindfulness during a busy day. Not to actually “breathe”. Again. Research helps here - though I can’t imagine you as a person interested mindfulness.

Reactions: rmw49 and TOGURO06

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
@Defender2010 Pandemic or not, the way I was raised by my parents is to do two things first as soon as I get home: 1) take off my shoes, and 2) go wash my hands. Apparently, that doesn't seem to be the norm any longer (or maybe it never was, no idea). I find it sad that as a society we've gotten to the point where people need to be reminded of the most basic principles of human hygiene.

And yes, that mindfulness nonsense can go where the sun never shines. Quite frankly I couldn't care less about this kind of esoteric new-age nonsense. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sfrangu

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
@Defender2010 Pandemic or not, the way I was raised by my parents is to do two things first as soon as I get home: 1) take off my shoes, and 2) go wash my hands. Apparently, that doesn't seem to be the norm any longer (or maybe it never was, no idea). I find it sad that as a society we've gotten to the point where people need to be reminded of the most basic principles of human hygiene.

And yes, that mindfulness nonsense can go where the sun never shines. Quite frankly I couldn't care less about this kind of esoteric new-age nonsense. ;)
Well, I was also taught this along with changing out of my school uniform as soon as I got home. I understand where you are coming from.
I agree it’s probably not the norm to do this now - some people have lousy self hygiene no matter what is going on. I think it’s a helpful reminder given the world we currently live in. It’s sometimes easy to forget when you are busy just living life.
I practice mindfulness but i turn off reminders as i believe once you do it you don’t really need a reminder. There’s a time and a place for that.

Reactions: mj_

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010

I think it is an awesome addition. Yes, people wash their hands, but most people probably don’t wash their hands at least 20 seconds and that is why the AW will track. Unbelievably, usefully feature during this Pandemic. Went to the beta just for this feature....

Reactions: TOGURO06

GrimeAllDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
Mine is greyed out also, Mine was ON by default and hand wash counts down and detects very well, just the at home reminder won’t work due to the home address issue on my card, it’s greyed out as i mentioned and do have address on my me card, if I am using my watch and go into handwash tab for split second as it flicks from handwash tab in watch settings to being in the handwash sttings, I can time it correctly where i can turn home reminders on before it greys out, but it remains grey even with toggle on for home reminders but soon as i exit it turns toggle back to off and greyed out again,

I’m curios to see if the posters on here saying there’s work, are on “PUBLIC/DEV” watchOS7?¿ I’m on the Dev beta, using series 5 watch in Aussie
I’ve also tried wifi and also cellular on my watch and this makes no difference either

*Screenshots attached

Attachments

• CCB5A5F7-C479-42AC-822B-0F1DD01A2677.png
    CCB5A5F7-C479-42AC-822B-0F1DD01A2677.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 168
  • B27EC046-8EDE-4E7D-AC27-14CB62A265DE.png
    B27EC046-8EDE-4E7D-AC27-14CB62A265DE.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 141
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.