Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billit

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
Illinois
I also use the High Profile setting for every one of my ~2500 encodes. Have not had an instance where a file would not play on a ATV (2 and 3 gen), Win7 computer, my 4S iPhone, iPad (3 and 4 gen), a xbox360 or Mac mini (2012).

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Sorry for the necro-thread...but it's my thread :D

You'll make your life a lot easier if you do!

I would also recommend setting video to anamorphic strict and check the Optimize for Web and make all that a custom preset.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above, but using above will give you the best quality/encoding speed combination.

I'd been using the above.. a custom based on the Apple TV 3 (as chronicled in this thread).

I made another custom, based on it, changing framerate to Same as source, thinkning it might help with video from non-us areas...

However, I noticed when encoding a file with weirdish sound, that the ATV3 and my original custom preset, gave the Audio a Mixdown with surround :
UcSXSvP.png

while the new version gave a mixdown of stereo:

oRH0SRc.png

Testing, any sound file with 5.1 seems to do that...which makes me rather concerned for stuff I've encoded with that preset now...I'll have to try to figure out when I made it and check those files I still have..
(older ones look like this in Subler:
jHNpXOX.png
... that's correct?)

I guess the question is..how should I fix the prest?

Last edited:

Just just

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I'll pitch in my 2 cents here. I have an AppleTV 3rd generation and have been using HB's AppleTV 3 preset to convert some Video_TS folders to M4V format to play on the AppleTV.

I was surprised when I found out that the resulting M4V files would not allow me to Fast Forward or Rewind.

After some experimentation and research, I modified the preset to use a Constant FrameRate and that seems to have taken care of the problem!

Just wanted to past it along. Thanks.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just use the AppleTV 3 preset, set x264 tune to film or animation depending on what I'm encoding, set x264 to very slow and leave everything else alone.

High quality with reasonable sizes.

~300 mb for 25 min Anime
~1.5 gb for 2 hour DVD film
~4.5 gb for 2 hour Bluray film

navier

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Germany
I just use the AppleTV 3 preset, set x264 tune to film or animation depending on what I'm encoding, set x264 to very slow and leave everything else alone.

High quality with reasonable sizes.

~300 mb for 25 min Anime
~1.5 gb for 2 hour DVD film
~4.5 gb for 2 hour Bluray film

I think the preset film is not for movies but something filmed with a cam (like home videos)

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I also use the High Profile setting for every one of my ~2500 encodes. Have not had an instance where a file would not play on a ATV (2 and 3 gen), Win7 computer, my 4S iPhone, iPad (3 and 4 gen), a xbox360 or Mac mini (2012).

Hello, do you still use Handbrake for your movie encodes? You just use the "High Profile" vs. Apple TV 3, do you set it to STRICT as other have mentioned? I have been using Video-Converter in the App Store, been ripping my personal BluRay's ... that has worked great but the last few movies it's been lagging (hard to explain), so I'm going to give Hand Brake a shot... I want the best quality, not concerned with space as I have 8TB in a Raid 1 for movies and only have about 100 personal movies to finish ripping. Thanks for any advice.

smurfs.png

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Hello, do you still use Handbrake for your movie encodes? You just use the "High Profile" vs. Apple TV 3, do you set it to STRICT as other have mentioned? I have been using Video-Converter in the App Store, been ripping my personal BluRay's ... that has worked great but the last few movies it's been lagging (hard to explain), so I'm going to give Hand Brake a shot... I want the best quality, not concerned with space as I have 8TB in a Raid 1 for movies and only have about 100 personal movies to finish ripping. Thanks for any advice.

smurfs.png

I've been using High Profile for a while on all my encodes, never had any issues with playback on an ATV2 / iPad / iPhone.

mendemc1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
I'm trying to get more into what I have and know for the Apple TV I'm trying out.

Handbrake has an Apple TV 3 preset...is that best to just go with that for encoding video for use?

It by default seems to go with 2 audio tracks, though they're seperate encondings of the same track...is that best?

Hello

I Have more than 1000 Movies in the old DVD Format.

What should I do?

Convert to wich format to play in iTunes and future Apple TV, and Delete the DVD format?

What Specifications you experts recomend?

Software? What is my choice? I understand about many things, but video... no...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.