Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
how can i make handbrake use all 4 of my cores over 90% as opposed to each being used at just over 50%? right now at 50% im getting about 100fps on h.264 settings and think it could be way higher

on my mb it would max out my cpu not so on my quad machine.

any ideas? any "nice" settings going on?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
how can i make handbrake use all 4 of my cores over 90% as opposed to each being used at just over 50%? right now at 50% im getting about 100fps on h.264 settings and think it could be way higher

on my mb it would max out my cpu not so on my quad machine.

any ideas? any "nice" settings going on?

You are limited by the speed of the DVD drive. Use Mac The Ripper for importing the DVD. Once the first DVD is imported, start importing the second one, and start Handbrake as well. Your DVD drive likely cannot read more than 100 fps. However, with two pass encoding Handbrake will read the DVD twice, so it needs twice as long. That doesn't happen if you import using Mac The Ripper.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You are limited by the speed of the DVD drive. Use Mac The Ripper for importing the DVD. Once the first DVD is imported, start importing the second one, and start Handbrake as well. Your DVD drive likely cannot read more than 100 fps. However, with two pass encoding Handbrake will read the DVD twice, so it needs twice as long. That doesn't happen if you import using Mac The Ripper.

thanks that makes sense:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.