Handbrake has been 100% succesfull even on new release DVD's-why no decryption needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Nov 16, 2008.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I just love watching movies on the iphone and have been converting my own shop brought DVD's.

I use handbrake and like everybody said it's a joy to use and so easy.

I have been able to convert EVERY DVD I have tried including some I brought a few weeks ago and even the Seinfeld series.

What is all this fuss about having to decode them first then?

It's almost as easy as putting in a CD and ripping the songs into itunes.

I was expecting lots of trouble and having to use another impossible to use process to decrypt them.

Now I am seriously considering getting an apple TV as it is so easy to convert DVD's.

Is it just because I'm selecting the iphone format that I am able to rip it without any messing about with decryption.

Anybody else found a DVD they can't convert with handbrake?

2. Volante macrumors regular

I can't rip Aladdin, nordic PAL version. It crashes when trying to scan titles.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

its because handbrake can decode DVDs protected with the CSS protection, which is used on virtually all commercial DVDs, hence why you can decrypt the shop bought ones
    any other protection methods require further processing, but handbrake can do most dvds

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I havent been able to rip National Treasure 2... Thats all ive come across so far that i can not rip.. i love that movie to! DAMNIT!

5. eleven59 macrumors regular

eleven59

so far i've been able to HB everyone except the bond ones.. bah

6. DigMe macrumors 6502

I couldn't do V for Vendetta, Terminator 2, Baby Einstein and something else I tried that I can't remember. I haven't tried any more because I just assumed I wouldn't be able to do that until I read your post. So I popped in my first disc from The Unit Season 1 and what do you know? It's working! Glad you posted.

I ended up doing V for Vendetta with DVD Decrypter.

7. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

There's a DVD decrypter called DVD 43. It runs in the background and decrypts DVDs on the fly. I would suggest it if you're having problems decrypting some of the DVDs.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I'd like to check that one out... Thanks:cool:

9. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I don't think it works on Macs though... :(
    Sorry for not specifying

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Handbrake for the PC can't seem to rip the newer DVD releases. Not much of a problem though running Handbrake on a Mac.

11. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

How long does it usually take you guys to rip a DVD? I've only done it 2 or 3 times because it takes like a good 2hrs or more...I'm using a black macbook that I got around June of this year and upgraded to 4GB of ram.
    EDIT: On top of the long wait my macbook gets VERY HOT!!! Like 80-80c according to SMC Fan Control, If I am going to rip a DVD I usually automatically turn my fan to max to kinda give it a head start and it still gets as hot as I said above...

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yah, it's been crashing on me for those new ones (with the black packaging) even after using Mac the Ripper. All the older versions I had worked fine, although some I did before I checked something to keep the aspect ratio where it is.

If the OP wants a challenge, he can pop "The Da Vinci Code" in and try to do it without errors at the beginning. My copy is watchable, but the beginning kind of skips a few times until it actually starts at the beginning again and plays fine through the end.

It sure would be nice if the studios stopped treating us like criminals and more like people who just want to play movies on a computer and on iPods. The people who will steal movies and music are the first ones to break any DRM.

13. topcash macrumors member

14. eleven59 macrumors regular

eleven59

im actually using a mac but HB has trouble with bonds on both platforms for me. the black case ones and even CasRoy

it will either crash, or go from stating the normal time to finish then jumps to 8hrs, then to 16hrs... then i give up...

15. cjmal macrumors 6502

It takes about 40 minutes on my pc (and a pretty crappy one at that). Make sure that you select MP4 and not H264 before you convert.

16. DigMe macrumors 6502

Well that was a bust. The Unit was all messed up.

Back to DVD Decrypter + Super :(

17. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Don't worry too much, the movie is lame.

18. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

HandBrake has always worked perfectly for me with the exception of rented DVDs... although saying this I only tried with two and both were BBC DVD so they might just encode theirs oddly...

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Your profile shows you in Sydney. That's a different DVD region than North America and Europe. Wonder if they copy-protect differently based on regions?

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

takes me about 15 minutes per disc, with 2 pass (1st one turbo) taking about 5-6 minutes longer

man i love my mac pro!:)

21. franzmueller macrumors regular

Huh ! Mine takes less than one hour .... and ( I think ) we have the same machine ... ( look into my signature ) , it rips the format iphone ...

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I could do Terminator 2 with an older version of Handbrake... it will not work with the newest version. Heh.

23. bithacker macrumors newbie

Yes, same here time wise.. MBP 2.4 w/4gb Ram and handbrake took about 45 minutes with SMC running the fans flat out. 78-80c during the process.

24. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Isnt H264 better quality though? can anyone say if the difference is noticable even if the bit rate is the same?

25. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

On my Mac Pro, it takes 30 minutes on H.264. Full length movie.