Handbrake results going from 4 GB to 16 GB

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jimbo1mcm, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I encoded a movie on Handbrake when I had 4GB in my late 2012 mini with the I7 processor. It took 20 minutes to encode an 1:41 movie into the Apple TV3 format. After I installed 16GB of Crucial ram, it also took 20 minutes, same parameters. So no improvement from adding RAM in this particular type of application.

2. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Isn't handbrake only CPU intense. So makes sense extra ram wouldn't help. Need more CPU power.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

You shouldn't expect RAM to make a difference and 20 minutes for an ATV3 conversion isn't anything to complain about.

4. visim91 macrumors 6502

Thanks for noting the time, my C2D MacBook would take 1-1.5 hours to convert one movie:eek:

RAM will not make a difference in terms of speed b/c the movie, as it is being encoded, is not stored in RAM - unlike the process of encoding music - (FLAC) files to Apple Lossless (M4A) - where each song is temporarily stored on the RAM, so for each additional "X" GB of RAM added, you can encode "Y" additional songs before running out of memory, making for a speedier process.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Adding RAM never makes your computer faster, with one exception...when you are running out of RAM.

A simple test will tell you if RAM will help or not. Look at the memory utilization while using whatever application you want to test. If you are running out, adding RAM will help immensely.

If you aren't running out of RAM, more RAM will not help. In fact, adding RAM will actually slow down your computer, because it is more memory to test during boot time.

6. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Yeah I believe Handbrake is CPU dependent, perhaps quad core will perform better over dual core, but ram most likely won't unless you're dealing with massive files. I use handbrake on my Air on occasion and it's bearable when I'm not in a hurry waiting for it.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

quad core and core speed so a 4 core that hyper threads like the quad mac mini is fast. with the 2.6 quad being 10% quicker then the 2.3 quad.

8. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

+1. As long as you're not maxing our RAM usage, the long pole in the tent is far and away CPU speed here.

9. misfit356tsw macrumors regular

RAM is only important to Handbrake when it runs out. On my 2006 Mini with 2GB I would run out pretty fast especially when I decided to use Safari.