Hands free driving law and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scotty56, Jul 10, 2008.

1. scotty56 macrumors regular

Does anyone else find it odd that the iPhone lacks voice dialing and other hands free features, yet is created in the state where using a cell phone with your hands is now illegal? Just thought of this..

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9806359?nclick_check=1

2. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Using a cellphone with your hands is illegal?

No I'm kidding, I too am surprised. Maybe they'll have an app in the future...

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The law requires the use of a handsfree device while talking, but allows dialing.

Though, having the number on a favorite list obvious better than using the keypad.

basic rule (which has been in effect since someone first drove): if you can't do two things at once - DON'T

4. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I own an acura tsx and absolutely love the BT functionality, hope more cars adopt this in the future. Kinda sucks that I can't take advantage of this w/ an iphone

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Why not? The bluetooth integration in my Nissan Titan works beautifully. Call comes in, music fades, and I can answer by touching the stereo's LCD. I can even access the phone book and recent calls. When I hang up my music fades in from where it left off, all with my iPhone still in my pocket.
    Don't know what I did without it.

6. jeremihad macrumors newbie

Although if use Apple's included headphones, remember to put in just one ear...two is illegal!

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

With the new law in California, for 18 years and over, you have to use a hands free device while talking. But it doesn't specifically forbid dialing or even texting, only suggests to avoid it, as you may be pulled over if an officer has a normal concern for safety in general I guess. But the illegal part is when you hold the phone to your ear. Laws in the future may get to making texting and such illegal. For under 18, texting, laptops, dialing, hands free are all illegal.

8. icecold0913 macrumors member

Umm, you can! iPhone has bluetooth! Hot car, btw!

...and ghetto! Oh wait, just having one in your ear is ghetto too!