Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new product releases earlier today have generated a lot of excitement and analysis, as well as comments from those who have managed to get their hands on the new models, and here are some of the tidbits we've seen.

iMac
- In its hands-on review, Gizmodo highlights the fact that the expanded chassis compared to the previous 20-inch and 24-inch models allowed Apple to double the number of RAM slots to four, allowing the new iMac to accept up to 16 GB of RAM.
- Gizmodo also notes that the larger chassis allowed Apple to upgrade the audio performance on the new models, yielding a "noticeable difference".
- The use of quad-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors at the high end of the 27-inch model marks Apple's first use of desktop class processors in its "thin" iMac designs. Apple has traditionally used mobile processors in its iMac line for their lower thermal output, but the large chassis of the 27-inch model apparently allows for sufficient ventilation to permit the use of desktop processors.
- The 27-inch iMac supports video input via its DisplayPort connector, allowing the machine to be used as a display for external sources.
- The 27-inch iMac is wall-mountable via an optional VESA adapter, but the 21.5-inch model is not.

MacBook
- Engadget was able to get its hands on the new MacBook and notes that it feels more solid than the previous model. Gizmodo notes, however, that the new design looks and feels "chubbier" than the previous model, despite identical thickness.
- The new MacBook comes with a MacBook Air-style MagSafe power connector with the cord exiting from the side of the connector rather than from straight-on.
- The new MacBook now utilizes Mini DisplayPort for video output as opposed to the Mini-DVI used on earlier models. It also loses the Firewire 400 port and swaps in a combined audio in/out port for the separate ports present on its predecessor.

Overall Notes
- A report from French site Mac4Ever late last month was nearly dead-on in its claims, correctly pegging the inclusion of quad-core processors and an SD card slot in the new iMac, as well as the multi-touch Magic Mouse and the aluminum Apple Remote all announced today.

Article Link: Hands-On Impressions and Other Tidbits From Today's Releases

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
cool, I had missed that there was an input display-port on the 27 iMac. That is awesome.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Is this new iMac Apple's first foray into wall-mounting? I'm intrigued. I also wonder if wall-mounting is step one of some grander plan. Hmmm.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Great updates! I wonder if the iMac comes with the new Apple remote... it looks cool also. I remember when I bought my Aluminum iMac in 2008, I was in love with the 30 inch monitor but it was so expensive that I ended buying the more expensive iMac 24" Core 2 Extreme (remember that? Extreme lol) now I look at the new beauty 27" and I hope to own one of those soon. I love it! great update! the Mac Mini it's getting stronger and the Macbook now looks updated! I mean.. Way to go Apple!

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
So those ARE desktop class i5 and i7s. There had been some debate on other forums.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
- The use of quad-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors at the high end of the 27-inch model marks Apple's first use of desktop class processors in its "thin" iMac designs. Apple has traditionally used mobile processors in its iMac line for their lower thermal output, but the large chassis of the 27-inch model apparently allows for sufficient ventilation to permit the use of desktop processors.

Finally we can get desktop processors in a desktop.

Imagine that!

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
That new 21.5in iMac is great! 3.06GHz for about 1299 CAD. Refurbished will be somewhere around 1K... very tempting!

Great apple update

poslundc

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Seeing as they've updated the DisplayPort to be two-way on the 27", I would like to know if they've also updated it to include an audio signal. That would be pretty awesome for me.

Dan.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
A report from French site Mac4Ever late last month was nearly dead-on in its claims, correctly pegging the inclusion of quad-core processors and an SD card slot in the new iMac, as well as the multi-touch Magic Mouse and the aluminum Apple Remote all announced today.

From the site:

Regarding the MacTablet it exists indeed, but is far from the concepts that have been announced so far by the rumor sites.

That doesn't tell much but means that the iTablet will be something that we can't even imagine! That's exciting.

saab

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
sweden
Wow...

It's 2009... And despite all it's designers and billions of dollar, Apple can't engineer even the most basic ergonomic functionality into their monitor or their AIO dekstop computer - the ability to adjust the height of the display.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
It's a shame the price of the MB is now £799 in the UK (when it was originally £749) whereas other European countries have had their price apparently reduced by €50. Nevertheless, I will definitely be buying the MacBook in December and it's great it now has a multi-touch glass trackpad! :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The iMac is going to normalize over time. There aren't any big upgrades from Nehalem/Westmere for some time. If you can afford it go for the Core i5/i7 machines.

They make nice TVs too. :p

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Why on earth would you want that?

So you can replace the harddrive? What if you want a better performing one? A larger drive? What if it dies? You'd be able to replace it yourself.

I'd love to see some gaming benchmarks on the 27". I have a hard time imaging the 4850 being able to drive games at the resolution with acceptable frame rates.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Macbook....hmm...they really need back to aluminium enclosures. They look so cool and professional.
iMac's; that was good update. New mouse...well I suspect will be as useless as mighty mouse but as always looks cool.
Time capsule....its a LAUGH!!!!! They update nothing apart from speed but that is simple cover story for their faulty power supply module. Now I am sure they replaced it by now. Its outrages that apple washing their hands from that by 1 year warranty. LAUGH!!!! I am Apple fan but this is make me feel a bit like second class citizen.

Clark Gable

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
So you can replace the harddrive? What if you want a better performing one? A larger drive? What if it dies? You'd be able to replace it yourself.

I'd love to see some gaming benchmarks on the 27". I have a hard time imaging the 4850 being able to drive games at the resolution with acceptable frame rates.

it is user replaceable if you arent scared of a screwdriver

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Is the 21.5" an IPS display? It is sorta disappointing that Apple got rid of the "perfect" for me sized 24" iMac. I have a 24" LED ACD, that I connect to my MBA, but I was really close to getting a 24" LED iMac when it was released today... too bad the 24" didn't happen although LED and larger iMacs happened. I also don't know about going 16:9. I really liked how Macs always had 16:10. It seems obvious that Apple is preparing to CAVE on BluRay. I suspect Apple decided to wait to include BluRay in all Macs at the same time when the MBP/Mac Pro are updated next. It just seems like Apple needs to wait until it can offer BluRay in ALL Macs. I suspect a March 2010 Arrandale update with BluRay appearing in all Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.