Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Localcelebrity

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago, IL
In reality, people much prefer local latency-free gaming and use game streaming as a last resort. I got the free Stadia kit with Cyberpunk 2077 purchase and it was neat the first few times but haven't touched it since. For people that don't want to invest in a gaming console or PC it's a good choice though.

I said future for a reason.

Latency is something that will improve in time and less and less users will care/notice in time.

Most people don't buy gaming PCs, and the console makers are heading in this direction for a lot of back catalog as well.

Sure this will never be everything for everyone, but the number of people it will be enough for is only set to expand in time.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Almost no one I know own a PC any longer. Consoles are a bit more common but not that much. I guess I don’t know many gamers? The market when people are playing on their phones and tablets is huge in comparison.
Being honest I don't own a PC either, although for a FPS that's the best (and most expensive) option ? I have a Mac for work, but I do have a PS5 and a Switch and both are infinitely better options than streaming to a phone imo. Playing the game natively on a phone with a paired controller used to be a good way too. But both streaming and touch controls are not even an option to consider to me

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
If it's anything like XBox Cloud is on the iPad, I'll pass. Thanks to Apple's restrictions, using Safari to stream games through results in latency that makes many games unplayable, even on the fastest internet connections. This issue is virtually nonexistant on Android devices, since they have a dedicated app for XBox Cloud.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
When I hear talk about cloud gaming as the future and “it’s just about latency, it will get better!”…

..it reminds me so much of Tesla folks and the discussion around full self driving.

The last few percentage points of “getting there” often contain the most difficult challenges.

(We aren’t close…to either reality)

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
$100 per year.
They will find their joyful pLayers, MacRumors supports EpicG with countless reports. Their pubescent cover girl may help somehow ...
T.gif

Anyone who so stubbornly styles himself as a hero of resistance against "the big guys" knows his predictable clientele. These tricks are used to reach the masses. Somehow it will work out.

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I wonder how many AplInc executives have signed up for a GeForce Now account using throwaway email addresses
Anyone in their right mind uses throwaway email addresses in these cases. I don't know anyone who is keen on receiving generic spam or new browser game bait on their real name mails.

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
The developers of those games, should be able to see the stats of who is playing on what devices. And if enough people play their games on a mobile device, then they might put in the effort to move it to the App Store natively, where there is a much larger audience than just the GeForce NOW subscribers.
You're right, of course, but then EpicG loses its dearly bought myth as an indomitable hero against the "evil" Apple company with its "evil" policies. Many support that myth (I personally find it ridiculous).

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
SaaS + a microtransaction rich environment
pretty clever business insertion but I think I'll pass.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
How so? Most comments here say that the experience is subpar compared to running a native app.
How so? Have you tried it to know? I've tried Xbox streaming on my iPad. Works fine enough for me. No better or worse than Nvidia on my Shield for game streaming. Which one could consider native, but still streaming since they make both. Hopefully they continue to improve it. However, it is an alternative to side loading. With a lot less risk on the end user or iOS. If you don't really need it native. You also don't have to go through the trouble of having to deal with Apple either. Since 3rd parties just want Apple's customers, they keep all the money they make streaming. And everyone is happy.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I don't understand why anyone would play Fortnite on a mobile device. Once you get into building, it's extremely hard to master.

Although, I suppose, from Epic's POV, mobile Fortnite keeps the game stocked with plenty of killable noobs.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I don't understand why anyone would play Fortnite on a mobile device. Once you get into building, it's extremely hard to master.
I used to do it all the time when I was traveling and my nephew wanted to play. iPad and PS4 controller and I'm good to go.

blizzerand

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
How so? Have you tried it to know? I've tried Xbox streaming on my iPad. Works fine enough for me. No better or worse than Nvidia on my Shield for game streaming. Which one could consider native, but still streaming since they make both. Hopefully they continue to improve it. However, it is an alternative to side loading. With a lot less risk on the end user or iOS. If you don't really need it native. You also don't have to go through the trouble of having to deal with Apple either. Since 3rd parties just want Apple's customers, they keep all the money they make streaming. And everyone is happy.
I have high speed access, but still encounter latency issues due to my location. So, streaming doesn't do it for me. Glad it works for you tho.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
will apple charge website to be displayed on their iOS and iPhone devices like they charge developers to make apps on their OS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.