Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alistairroe

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Seems a bit strange that they'd go to the effort of making a front casing that had glass separate to the screen - given that the iPhone 5 will have the LCD bonded to the glass, and in the video no LCD is present, I find this unnerving and suspicious.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm slowly warming up to the design.

All the haters tend to do that when the leak looks more and more likely. That way when it's actually released they can pretend to love it and pretend that Apple are still at the top of their game (rather than beginning that slide back down).

SicroMoft

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
iPhone mini

Prediction: The next iPhone will be a iPhone Mini (as the iPad Mini)
If not now, then next time. I hope!

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
I don't think this is the next iPhone. We saw leaks last year pointing to a newly designed phone. We got the 4S. I hope these are decoys put out by Apple, if not I'm rolling Samsung. This is just ugly. :eek:

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
iphone5> iphone 4s

this phone looks great its thinner and screen is a lil bigger but not too big and prob better camera and hopefully better battery and the back is not all glass so it wont be as easy to break....i dont see any downside its an upgrade.

whats with everyone that hates it?

----------

I don't think this is the next iPhone. We saw leaks last year pointing to a newly designed phone. We got the 4S. I hope these are decoys put out by Apple, if not I'm rolling Samsung. This is just ugly. :eek:

this is ugly? every iphone has looked from the font exactly the same its the same home button and speaker line at top the only thing that has changed is the back it went from metal( or whatever material it was just like the macbooks) to plastic then to glass (iphone 4) and not back to what looks like metal but the front has always been the same so why do you now think the phone is ugly? maybe the two tone back with 80 percent metal and top and bottom what looks like glass? but i like it cuz its not all glass not as easy to break

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
this phone looks great its thinner and screen is a lil bigger but not too big and prob better camera and hopefully better battery and the back is not all glass so it wont be as easy to break....i dont see any downside its an upgrade.

----------

this is ugly? every iphone has looked from the font exactly the same its the same home button and speaker line at top the only thing that has changed is the back it went from metal( or whatever material it was just like the macbooks) to plastic then to glass (iphone 4) and not back to what looks like metal but the front has always been the same so why do you now think the phone is ugly? maybe the two tone back with 80 percent metal and top and bottom what looks like glass? but i like it cuz its not all glass not as easy to break

Yes. It just looks like a stretched out iPhone 4 or 4/S. I know there is no glass, but come on. $6 billion in profit a quarter should yield a little more thought. I am A BIG Apple supporter, but will not buy this phone unless it doesn't something no other phone does. I may eat crow later but won't be the first or last time.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Screen-Shot-2012-08-02-at-4.42.47-PM.jpg
373809_10150977806026732_1812376197_n.jpg

A Japanese repair house posted photos of what looked like the iPhone 5, and we were all sold. They looked like what the rumor mill predicted, and they had just the right amount of realness to send the internet into a tizzy. Now, Neowin has pictures from an anonymous source in Bangkok, Thailand of what could be the next iPhone. Maybe. Possibly.
The pictures seem to confirm what we saw in the video, and after reaching out to the source (who is an ex staff member from a long time ago) he confirmed that the iPhone is not a working device, but a “non functional replica prototype” and in his own words, “pretty accurate too.
So it’s a non-functioning prototype? That would explain the very fake-looking screen. Hm. Sounds a little fishy, but maybe it’s the real deal. Check out the two-tone aluminum design.What say you? Real deal, or fake?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think we are being Dup'd to believe this is the new iPhone, when it has been said Steve poured his soul into the new one. If this becomes the new iPhone I will be ill impressed with this version and stick with my 4S until the iPhone X

smotheredhope

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
I can't believe that there are people that actually like this ugly piece of *****. It's absolutely atrocious. If this is the final design I'll pass and I've had every iteration of the phone. But this is just unacceptable. I'll be checking out the galaxy siii. The sad part is that there will be a lot of fellow fan boys following me. If this is true then Tim is a loser.

Scimonetti

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
The New iPhone (Prototype) Design

Other then the issue of the iPhone getting a bigger screen, I don't understand all the hubbub about it's looks. Everyone I know (wisely) buys a protective case that covers them up anyway so what does it matter? My iPhone 4 has lived in a black OutterBox since the day I bought it 2 years ago. I wouldn't recognize the thing without it. I hardly ever see a iPhone without some kind of protective cover nowadays.

To me what matters is enhancements in PERFORMANCE, FEATURES and CONDUCTIVITY...not looks.

Will it have a more advanced SERI? Call Blocking? Tethering? Less Dropped calls? Better camera? Longer battery life? More shock proof? Water resistant?

For what it is worth, that is what would be important to me. :apple:

RoJack

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
I like it.

Typical Conservative Apple, won't look outdated in two years because it's a conservative design. Not flashy, not for everyone, but I like it.
Thinner than 4S, a bit taller, should be a great handset.

What I'm really looking forward to is the Sharp IGZO LCD screen. I'm expecting magic from that 4" window. I really don't like the gaudy colors from Samsung's Super AMOLED, even though you get the inky blacks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't think this is the next iPhone. We saw leaks last year pointing to a newly designed phone.

No we didn't.
We got cases and specs for cases from Chinese manufacturers claiming to have inside knowedge.
Then we got mockups based off of those cases.
All of the actual leaked parts fully supported the 4S.

Jjaro

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Yokosuka, Japan
Seems a bit strange that they'd go to the effort of making a front casing that had glass separate to the screen - given that the iPhone 5 will have the LCD bonded to the glass, and in the video no LCD is present, I find this unnerving and suspicious.

Agreed!! That was what I initially thought, and I (think) forgot to mention it in my first post. It does seem that this MAY be a controlled leak then, as isn't the new screen from Sharp supposed to have NO front panel, and that's why it's so thin? This has been blown up pretty hard on rumor sites (the new screen). But, I guess we will see on the 12th of September of course. I would be suprised if it's a different design, but look at what everybody expected last year: a totally redesigned phone. And what did we we get but the 4S, with only minor changes.

The main thing for me though is that I am buying it no matter what. I'm ready for an upgrade (I have an iPhone 4) and have invested too much into iOS Apps, etc. to change over to Android anyway (plus I have an iPad). What I REALLY want though is for NTT Docomo to stop bitching and just accept the Apple terms and get the iPhone. SoftBank sucks major ass! They are the AT&T of Japan. If Docomo doesn't get it, then I am switching to au by KDDI.

----------

But does it come in white?

I would say that yeah 100% it will, regardless if this is the design or not. Maybe not right away, like with the iPhone 4, but you never know. I think they got the paint problem worked out a long time ago.

SicroMoft

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Could you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this?
"We have revolutionized it. This is our best phone to date. So much thought and work went into this. Now we have it..: The new iPhone. It's half an inch taller! And with not one but two colors on the back!"
No? Me neither.. But everybody went "oohhhh......" in cheerful geekgasms

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Other then the issue of the iPhone getting a bigger screen, I don't understand all the hubbub about it's looks. Everyone I know (wisely) buys a protective case that covers them up anyway so what does it matter? My iPhone 4 has lived in a black OutterBox since the day I bought it 2 years ago. I wouldn't recognize the thing without it. I hardly ever see a iPhone without some kind of protective cover nowadays.

To me what matters is enhancements in PERFORMANCE, FEATURES and CONDUCTIVITY...not looks.

Will it have a more advanced SERI? Call Blocking? Tethering? Less Dropped calls? Better camera? Longer battery life? More shock proof? Water resistant?

For what it is worth, that is what would be important to me. :apple:

Since the iPhone 4, I have never had a case. I go nekkid. Same will happen with the new phone. Too beautiful to cover up. I will add, none of my phones have any scratches either.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Firstly I'd like to say I'm really fan of Apple HW/SW and all the technologies they've but if this is it, then I'm sorry but I'll pass this year. The design is terrible not only because of those red strips on both the upper and bottom side of the phone, but those bottom grills and audio jack at the bottom make make it IMHO looking even more terrible. Looks like this is first year I'm staying with last generation iPhone (4S). :rolleyes:

zlb

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
PA
The design is nice, but it is still an iphone 4, no great innovation in the exterior design, i think this phone will sell a lot, but apple should have done a larger screen to both directions, i like most apple products, but this time i think apple crossed the line in terms of making its loyal customers wait so long and come out with a modified iPhone 4 whe have now 2 years with the same design, i was hoping for more innovation speccialy in the screen size.

the Growth of the screen just in the vertical direction is useless....

Screen size does not = innovation.
Apple innovations relate far more to user experience than specs. Yes they have innovative designs, and make hardware leaps and bounds, but unless a wider screen is going to make it easier to use the phone, I think their focus is better spent elsewhere.

If for no other reason, the simplest is usually the true one. So many recorded videos are now in widescreen. The longer screen allows you to watch these in a larger format. However, Steve also wanted the phone to fit comfortably in a users hand. And that means ALL hands. There are 11-year-olds using these phones now. Like it or not, a hand that is half the size of yours, a child or a small adult, isn't going to be all that comfortable holding some of the other phones being made today. Add on ridiculous Otterbox and other cases out there, and soon you have a phone that is 5 inches wide and weighs more than the 1989 Motorola MicroTAC!

If anyone on here really knew best design practices for Apple to be following, why aren't you the ones making $250,000 a year designing their products? I'm sure your would all do a superb job.

russy47

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
UK
FAKe. The clue is in the serial number.

Last letters of serial number in the chassis. F4K6. Its FAKe.

grenhall

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
I know that someone in the beginning remarked that Steve Jobs would never approve of this design. Well in every known case out there he had been involved in the forthcoming 2-year plan for Apple products. So... In 2014-2015 we might(!) see Apple products not approved by Steve Jobs.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010

----------

I think the components and material to make this phone are fine. I think the ugliness comes from just stretching the phone to make it taller. Would like to see MORE GIRTH!

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I don't particularly like the look of it either, but I'll put a case on it anyway. I've already dropped one 4S and it didn't end very cheaply as there was no Applecare+ here when it launched.

fm.illuminatus

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
That seems like some childish logic. This is the next iPhone, regardless if you like the design or not.

Your logic is even more ridiculous. "This is the new iPhone." Really, you know that? ROFL.

I seem to remember a wave of absurd iPhone 5 rumors right before the release of the 4S, complete with pictures and video like in the OP. They were ALL WRONG.

But how quickly people forget. Anyhow, since you KNOW this is the next iPhone, tell me, when does the 13" Retina come out? How about the iPhone 6? What about the new iMac? Since YOU obviously have the scoop. :rolleyes:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Your logic is even more ridiculous. "This is the new iPhone." Really, you know that? ROFL.

I seem to remember a wave of absurd iPhone 5 rumors right before the release of the 4S, complete with pictures and video like in the OP. They were ALL WRONG.

But how quickly people forget. Anyhow, since you KNOW this is the next iPhone, tell me, when does the 13" Retina come out? How about the iPhone 6? What about the new iMac? Since YOU obviously have the scoop. :rolleyes:

Yeah okay...believe what you want. Here are my reasons (from my own thread): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1414781/

You act like I'm pulling reasons out of my butt. Not to mention the facts that there are NO OTHER RUMORS about the next-gen iPhone. Last year, we had the stupid "teardrop iPhone" rumor, and a "4S" (which people didn't want to believe because it was too boring for them). Not to mention the massive consistent part leaks (we've never had consistent part leaks be wrong). Basically, we have 80 puzzle pieces in a 100 puzzle piece set; we know what it will mostly look like.

Send me a PM on the 12th and see where my "ridiculous" logic gets me. I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.