Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer this morning shared a hands-on video featuring alleged dummy units of the upcoming 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus and 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, just two days after rival leaker Ben Geskin posted images of two similar-looking dummy units.

The video, provided by Tigermobiles.com, offers a clearer view size-wise of the two new Face ID-equipped all-screen models, which are expected to accompany a second-generation iPhone X in Apple's 2018 smartphone line-up, due to launch in the fall.

Besides size, the clearest differentiator between the two handsets is the dual-lens rear camera on the iPhone X Plus and the single-lens on the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone. Both lenses clearly protrude from the back of the chassis.

Both models in the video feature a shiny silver frame, although Geskin's images depicted a frame on the 6.5-inch device that better matched the body color, similar to the current-generation iPhone X. Apple is thought to be using a steel frame on the larger device and an aluminum frame on the 6.1-inch iPhone as a cost-saving measure. Less clear on the video are the larger bezels on the 6.1-inch device to accommodate the lower-spec LCD display.

The dummy units used here both have white backs; well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the next-generation iPhone X models will be available in Black, White, and Gold, while the 6.1-inch model could come in a wide array of colors, including red, blue, orange, gray, and white.

Dummy units are typically based on design schematics leaked from Apple's supply chain in China, and these handsets tally with the rumors we've heard already, but we'll have to wait for Apple's official iPhone launch in September or thereabouts for the full story on the new smartphones' full feature set.

Article Link: Hands-On Video Shows Alleged 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus and 6.1-inch LCD iPhone Dummy Units

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 6.5 OLED iPhone is next on my list. It Surprisingly doesn’t look *that* big. Perhaps a comparison of the dummy 6.1 LCD, 2017 iPhone X and dummy 6.5 X would be a better comparison of all three units to show the contrast of sizes.

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
For what we know, these could be regular sized iPhone X on a smaller hand. They really don't look larger then the regular iPhone X. Onew of them does look a bit larger but really they don't look all that large.

Reactions: rafark

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
I want my 36 seconds back.

It's just some random plastic slabs that someone probably 3D printed, and nothing more.

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
We've come a lonnnggg way. Remember the days when we'd see a low quality, blurry, sketchy, 4 second video of some guy at a factory showing a phone and then quickly putting his camera away? This video is like MKBHD LOL

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
There is nothing new to see on the outside body unless someone show us the difference between LCD and OLED. We're only about 1 1/2 month away and I'll wait to see what Apple is going to show us.
[doublepost=1533036106][/doublepost]
Sick of these damn things getting bigger and bigger.
LOL, bigger screens are helpful for those who need to use reading glasses.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
If accurate, and that is a big if, it looks like Apple is sticking with the lightning connector rather than USB-C. At least that looks like a lightning connector to me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If accurate, and that is a big if, it looks like Apple is sticking with the lightning connector rather than USB-C. At least that looks like a lightning connector to me.

Undoubtedly Apple will use lightning for this year‘s iPhone, every year that rumor seems to surface for the USB-C connector, not saying that it can’t happen, but lightning is still very much relevant in terms for iOS.

ralpa

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
wow bigger screen!... and...? I hope there is some real new features.
Touch ID and Portrait modes were new attractive features. The notch isn't to me.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'll keep my iPhone X. I had every new iPhone on launch day for the past 11 years, but this time I will pass ne new one. I'm perfectly fine with my X, there is totally nothing I miss.

Huh? You haven’t even seen the features of these new phones Lol...

Reactions: iScone

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Huh? You haven’t even seen the features of these new phones Lol...

Seems you missed @iToph point. They were saying they were more than content enough with the X, where they don’t likely have any desire to want to upgrade every year and/or they don’t need to ‘see’ new features to make the decision of keeping their current iPhone . Hardware wise, the iPhone X will likely be very much the same as the 2017 model, but just with upgrades with the camera, internals, etc.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
So are these two bigger than the current X?

Yes but not that much.
The Plus doesn't seem too big in the video, but I'll have to hold it in my hand and find out whether the display is too big or not. I may go for the 5.8'' this time.

I'm pretty sure they'll stick with Lighting. USB-C may replace USB-A on the charging cable and on the power brick.

Reactions: Peter K.

GadgetFan14

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Seems you missed @iToph point. They were saying they were more than content enough with the X, where they don’t likely have any desire to want to upgrade every year and/or they don’t need to ‘see’ new features to make the decision of keeping their current iPhone . Hardware wise, the iPhone X will likely be very much the same as the 2017 model, but just with upgrades with the camera, internals, etc.

Well that good for them except the world doesn't revolve around them. Quite a few of us want the bigger phone with the bigger screen. Willing to bet you they sell quite a bit more of these phones then the X...

Reactions: FFR

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well that good for them except the world doesn't revolve around them. Quite a few of us want the bigger phone with the bigger screen. Willing to bet you they sell quite a bit more of these phones then the X...

My response to that Member was not commenting on size, they were discussing they were perfectly fine with the current X they were using now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.