Hands-On Video Shows Alleged 6.5-inch iPhone X Plus and 6.1-inch LCD iPhone Dummy Units

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Tesla_nc macrumors newbie

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how the 6.1" appears to have a glass back. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a rumor way back that said the 6.1" would not have a glass back and therefore would not be capable of wireless charging. Still good to see that this rumor may have debunked that.

2. MacBebe macrumors regular

The current X is perfect in my hands. If the feel the “X Plus” is not too big, I may get it :D

3. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

A common tale we tell ourselves... until the next launch day! ;)

4. and 4096 others like this macrumors member

and 4096 others like this

What did you missed when you change iPhone 6S to 7?

A headphone jack. Ba dum tsss

5. Old:School Suspended

Old:School

Horizontal Face ID should’ve been included in this version.

6. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

There is always Apple Watch celular with a small screen :p

7. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I don't think we're going to see USB-C come to the iPhone, at least as the primary charging and data cable, for a long time, if ever.

USB-C is total mess.

8. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

Exactly my thoughts as well. For a 6.5 inch phone it does not look very big in that video...unless that person just has HUGE hands :)
    There is a space gray 6.5 iPhone X with my name on it :)

9. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

They are not "dummy units", you probably don't know what a dummy unit is.

Apple doesn't use dummy units.

10. LandRovers macrumors member

LandRovers

I think people buy these dummy units from Geskin. He offered Drew on Tailosive Tech (another YouTube channel) two dummy iPhones for $550, just like these, to do so as he wished. Drew was live-streaming at the time and mentioned it in the stream. He said that he bought a 3D-printed 6.5” iPhone from his this year already, albeit for less.
    Nice of Geskin to make a business out of it, but I doubt that these are from anyone but Geskin.

11. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Good thing you have competition with... bigger phones...

12. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

And when you turn it on...
    [​IMG]
    Cook will say: it's amazing! The best iPhone ever! Next year we will show you a new one with eight notches! Thank you!

13. fathergll macrumors 65816

If I paid $1200 for a phone I would probably keep it for more than a year as well :D

14. bluecoast macrumors 65816

Looks a little suspicious.

The ‘LCD’ phone looks like it’s got a steel frame just like the larger one.

Either the rumours are wrong about the low cost phone having an aluminium frame, or Apple is going with steel for all of their phones this year.

I don’t buy that.

You’d expect there to be a distinct visual difference though to justify the price premium of the X models & not just the camera & screen.

I’m not surprised about the glass back however - clearly Apple is going to launch their wireless charging mat at the September event.

15. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Looking forward to the Xs this year! Or 11. Or X2, in Wolverine stealth gray.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

The 2018 6.5" model is mostly aimed at those looking to upgrade from 6s/7s Plus. There are 100's of millions of active 6s/7 Plus users well overdue an upgrade to their current iPhone.

Clearly you'll have to look elsewhere if essentially a larger iPhone X doesn't meet your requirements.

17. kingpushup macrumors regular

noticed:

1. smaller volume buttons and nearer silent rocker .. been consuming too much space for yrs

2. extra speaker holes, to fill gap ig
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2018 ---
    camera awful yep, but its most selling feature these social-media days .. 6.1 camera looks like tears from an eye tho (neat, sorta)

shiny metal is just the std metal used for delivering cheap dummy units each yr tho

18. cardfan macrumors 68000

What we don't know is if the x plus is compatible with apple pencil or has any landscape mode. What's already disappointing is no apparent rumors of an apple stylus built in. I'll probably lean toward keeping X or giving it to daughter and getting a plus.

19. newyorksole macrumors 68040

He said “there’s nothing I miss”.

Maybe there’s something on the new phones that will entice him. Best to just wait and see.

20. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I'm looking forward to the X-Plus (or whatever they call it). I'm currently rocking a 7 Plus which has served me well for 2 years and am very comfortable with the physical size (had a 6 Plus before that). I'm thinking the X-Plus may be similar in size physically but will of course have a much larger screen in comparison. All "pluses" in my book. :)

21. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

I have always found it very amusing that the people who pay extra for a larger screen phone often pay even more for a tiny screen so they don’t have to use their large screen!!! (Disclaimer: I know it doesn’t apply to everyone)

22. Kendo macrumors 68020

Brave words a month and a half before the keynote. Based on your previous tendencies (every new iPhone for the past 11 years), if I was a betting man, I would bet you are getting the new X.

23. usurffree macrumors newbie

Honestly, I wished it was a little bigger now that the bezel's are almost gone. Love the vivid pop from the X, but I had issues with various keyboards mishits and feel like spreadsheets I need to glance at quickly in an email are too narrow. Kept the phone as a play unit, but moved to the 8 Plus. This "X Plus" looks to be a little more screen real estate, but I'm fine with another inch if they had that option. Hell, even if it were a special order that took 120 days to come off the line, I'd pay any price.

Hate an iPad in a vehicle, it's not practical. (As passenger of course;-)

24. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

And still features that camera that protrudes like a prostrate. I guess even Apple can't make a thin camera. Making the iPhone thicker to mask this would be far more elegant.

25. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I literally LOL! Ha ha!