Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iOS 16.2 release candidate that came out today, Apple added the new Apple Music Sing feature that was announced earlier this week. We thought we'd check out the new karaoke feature to see how it works.

Apple Music Sing is available on modern iPhones and iPads, as well as the newest Apple TV 4K. It's built in to the Apple Music app, and therefore limited to Apple Music subscribers. Note that you need to have a full Apple Music subscription, as it is not included with the more affordable voice-only plan.

If you've used Apple Music's built-in follow along lyrics feature, you know how to use Apple Music Sing. The feature basically uses the lyric functionality, while also adding a toggle to turn down the vocals of a song to replace them with your own.

Just pick a song, turn on the lyrics, and then use the little microphone icon to adjust the vocals. Apple Music Sing is not available for every song, and it's not entirely clear which songs Apple is limiting it to.

Apple is going to provide playlists for Apple Music Sing, which will be filled with popular songs to sing along to. Apple Music Sing will be available to all users with the launch of iOS 16.2, and as we already have a release candidate, iOS 16.2 could come out as soon as next week.

Apple Music Sing is available on the iPhone 11 and later, the third-generation 11-inch iPad Pro and later, the fifth-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro and later, the fourth-generation iPad Air and later, the ninth-generation iPad and later, the sixth-generation iPad mini, and the new third-generation Apple TV 4K.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple Music Sing in iOS 16.2

Last edited:

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Why is this feature being made such a big deal? You would think with the coverage of this feature that it was some ground breaking iOS feature. It's a feature that you can literally get from an app at any time. I think we've heard all we need to hear about this one moving forward.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Too bad this is being done with AI instead of tracks, because you get that awful squelch effect which does not sound like karaoke at all. You'd think every song available as an Apple Music master has the potential to drop the vocal track, but yet they went this way. Shame.

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I guess I'm still not clear on mic options. Maybe the feature only removes the real vocals and you will still need a separate mixer to bring in your own vocals. But then I remember reading about support for multiple singers...so who knows. If you're just doing this on an iPhone, a mic doesn't make much sense. Your own voice is not going to be amplified by the iPhone's speakers....and if you stream it to a bluetooth speaker, you're probably going to experience latency.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Charlie.V

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2019
London
Is this only done with software or are they going to be allowing artists to upload an instrumental and isolated vocal to offer this in better quality?

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
What I would LOVE for the next version of this is to be able to change the key/pitch/tempo of the song, which I currently use an app for. Unfortunately that app requires you to purchase the song from itunes first since Apple Music tracks are drm protected and it can't modify them.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
So this is unavailable for use with Macs? That's disappointing. Karaoke bars / karaoke nights usually feature multiple screens. As I'm coincidentally shopping karaoke equipment now for our nearly completed home bar / stage, this announcement really got my hopes up. I can have the MBP on a podium or stand, with an HDMI cable running to the big screen at the back of the stage. Perfect! Unfortunately Apple, in their wisdom, decided to not allow this feature on Macs - even the new ones - which of course can run Apple music.

Bummer. I was already laying out the plans for the stage revision.

The amount of snark when apple does something fun amazes me. If you don't like it or think it is stupid don't use it. smh...
After one comment. Hardly a considerable "amount of snark."

Sheesh - that's some thin skin!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.