Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are launching this Friday, and ahead of that release date, Apple is shipping out various accessories like the MagSafe charger and MagSafe cases. Yesterday we took a look at the MagSafe charger, and today our MagSafe case came in the mail, so we thought we'd take another look at the charger to see how it works with the case and just how strong the case magnets are.

Design wise, the new Apple Silicone Case with built-in MagSafe compatibility is similar to any other Apple Silicone case designed for past iPhones, but there is a little circle inside the case that lets you know there's a magnet ring built in. The case slips on and off the iPhone easily, and it's made from the same silicone material as previous iPhone cases.

magsafecaseboxes.jpg

We looked at an OtterBox MagSafe case yesterday and weren't super impressed with the design because the magnets were just glued into the back of the case and covered with a bit of plastic, but Apple's design has the magnets built into the silicone of the case for a nicer finished look.

magsafecasedesign.jpg

The magnets in the OtterBox case were strong enough for everyday use but not super strong, and while we thought Apple's magnets might be stronger, that's not the case. The magnets in the Apple Silicone case are about the same strength as the magnets in the OtterBox case, and if you watch the video up above, you can see them in action.

magsafecasedangle.jpg

We don't have an iPhone 12, and the iPhone 12 has its own magnets and is a key part of how these cases and attachments work, so keep that in mind when watching our video. iPhone 12 reviews came out today, though, giving us an idea of how strong the magnets are. Some reviewers ended up being unimpressed with the magnets for use with accessories like the Wallet that Apple makes.

MKBHD, for example, used the Wallet accessory from Apple with the iPhone 12 and when he put the phone and wallet combo in his pocket, the wallet attachment fell right off, which is not ideal given that what's generally kept in a wallet is important.

magsafecaseandcharger.jpg

Magnet strength isn't as important when it comes to the MagSafe charger because it's mainly meant for charger alignment, but for an accessory like a wallet, it needs to be solidly stuck in place. More testing is required, but early impressions suggest iPhone 12 buyers should use caution with the Wallet option.

If you missed our dedicated MagSafe charger video yesterday, make sure to check that out too if you want a better look at the MagSafe design.

We'll have an iPhone 12 and 12 Pro to test out on Friday with both the MagSafe charger and the MagSafe cases, so tune in to MacRumors later in the week to see both of these accessories in more detail alongside the new iPhone models.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's iPhone 12 and 12 Pro MagSafe Cases

Reactions: Arran and rjp1

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I’m shocked to see everyone giving the wallet such easy feedback. “Well it falls off easily and I guess that’s an item wouldn’t want to lose.”

How about the wallet is a failure and does not do what it was designed for... to keep your ID and a credit card or two safe. It’s a literal piece of crap.

Stop going soft on Apple and call them out when they produce crap. They shouldn’t release the wallet IMO. It’s going to tarnish their brand (to some degree).

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Received the clear Apple case and it is a fingerprint magnet. Won’t be keeping that and will wait for the leather cases. Makes no sense Apple did not come out with the leather cases when the phones were released.

Will be returning my wallet case too when that comes. Why have a case that won’t stay on. If that is true, very big fail.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
MR has really doubled down on the "we don't have all the parts, but here's how this one component functions without much context" videos.

I mean, I'm super-excited for all of this new stuff, too - but these premature puff pieces run the risk of crowding out meaningful stories as we scroll through the MR feed. Ah well.

Edit: and I keep seeing these videos of people slinging attached phones around by the MagSafe cord to prove the magnetic strength... Are we just trying to prove that the cord will fail and that it should've been detachable? Lol.

Last edited:

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I would think that the attachment could have different strength magnets. The charger could have a weaker set of magnets, and the Wallet could have stronger magnets. But it doesn't look like the wallet is much stronger. I'm curious to see if Belkin's Car mount will be any stronger.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
There is a lot of negative reviews on MagSafe and I totally get it - expectations vs reality.

The next iPhone will have some sort of gen 2 or better magnets.. it does seem like they dropped the ball on this.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I’m shocked to see everyone giving the wallet such easy feedback. “Well it falls off easily and I guess that’s an item wouldn’t want to lose it.”

How about the wallet is a failure and does not do what it was designed for... to keep your ID and a credit card or two safe. It’s a literal piece of crap.

Stop going soft on Apple and call them out when they produce crap. They shouldn’t release the wallet IMO. It’s going to tarnish their brand.

And $60 at that! o_O

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
So maybe they'll strengthen the magnets on iPhone 13? MagSafe gen 1 is DOA as far as I'm concerned, and these cases are not worth the money in my opinion.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Magnet or no magnet, my kumquat case just arrived. It looks great, and I think it will pair nicely with my 12 Pro Pacific Blue that I'll have on Friday! If the magnet helps, cool. If not, eh....

And I would stay far away from the wallet. $60 for a chance to lose even more $, ID and cards. NOPE.

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Cool your jets there, turbo. The only thing that is a "literal piece of crap" is, well, quite honestly: a piece of crap.

Great points on the wallet case, though. Absolutely unusable as a wallet case.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Can imagine it will work better when we get Magsafe every objects like metal stands, lamp bases, stuck on tables, etc, means it will be easy to pull off and the Magsafe won't go anywhere.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
This makes me nervous about the future of the battery case. People are suggesting that it will be a battery add on like the wallet. I just want the regular old battery case that I don’t have to worry about falling off.

trims

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I wonder if it's possible to craft a ring from a self adhesive magnetic sheet (0.4mm thick) and apply to my Anker Qi charger to help locate the IP12? Just a thought. Won't charge the IP12 at 15W, but will save about $60!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Magnet or no magnet, my kumquat case just arrived. It looks great, and I think it will pair nicely with my 12 Pro Pacific Blue that I'll have on Friday! If the magnet helps, cool. If not, eh....

And I would stay far away from the wallet. $60 for a chance to lose even more $, ID and cards. NOPE.
My product red case and my clear case just arrived along with the mag safe puck. My 11 Pro is currently stuck inside the 12 Pro product red case courtesy of the magnet. Lol. I’ve tried shaking it out and it won’t pop loose. I’ll have to pry it off even though there’s a decent gap at the top. It’s not fitting in there because it’s the right size.

I’m happy with the looks of the cases. I won’t know if I truly like them until my phone is in them and I can see how it feels to press the buttons and overall feel in hand and protection for the phone. But it looks promising. I wasn’t expecting miracles.

I’m not getting the wallet either.

I don’t think they need to update the phone for that. Just fix the magnets in the wallet.

Reactions: decypher44

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does the magnet add much weight?

I have an Anker cradle type wireless charger and never had trouble with it not charging
I guess it adds a little. My 11Pro is already a chunky thing so I can’t really tell. I’ve got it stuck on the 12 Pro silicone case at the moment. It oddly works in the case but I haven’t tried charging it yet.

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Why would you want this? It’s a two handed operation. I understand a charging mat where you can set all your accessories down but this seems rather ridiculous.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Wow, unless that guy got a dodgy unit the wallet really looks utterly crap*, like should-never-have-passed-testing terrible.

I don’t know why you keep testing the MagSafe without the phone though. Haven’t you ever played with magnets? They’re much stronger when you have a few lined up - the ones in the phone itself are surely what will make the charger really snap to the phone.

*though not literally

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Am I to read from this that it will only work effectively with a case designed specifically for MagSafe and not some cheap non-branded case?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Not sure what they were going for with the MagSafe name. The whole idea is that MagSAFE is that it keeps the device safe by disconnecting should the cord be tripped over or tugged, hence the SAFE in the name. But it seems it stays attached when picking up the phone. Hopefully this so called MagSafe and the associated accessories aren’t as bad as it seems. Perhaps the phone adds more Meg Eric strength for the wallet?

Seems that the wallet should attach strongly and the charger not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.