Hands-On With Apple's New 2018 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2018.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

2. HuskerHarley macrumors regular

HuskerHarley

For someone (me!) that doesn’t understand what the numbers mean… Where they good?

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

They were good. It means the new Mac mini is fast.

4. WC7 macrumors newbie

The base model i3 Mac mini with 128 GB storage and 8 GB memory that I have, has scores in the Geekbench list of about: 4700 and 14000. So the high end i7 really shows a big difference compared to the low end i3 Mac mini. Your 5900 and 26300 scores are over 25% better on the single core and 88% better on the multi-core compared to the i3 configuration. I, also, checked the price difference with your 16 GB memory i7 configuration. It appears that the price is $1499(?) compared to the $799 base configuration price. So that is a difference of 88% more $ which agrees with the 88% better multicore performance! Nice! In some ways I wish I had gone for the high end. :(

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I originally purchased the base i3. After a few days, I realized that I made a mistake and needed to get the 256GB drive with the extra RAM. I am glad I did the return, even though the upgrade cost more.

Over the weekend, Apple had a lot of Mac minis on their refurb store. And several had some great pricing. If I hadn't just made the purchase, I would have jumped on the refurb store.

6. WC7 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:52 PM ---
    I saw that news about the minis on the Apple refurb. You know I still like that i3. It's not really about speed for me.

7. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

I was dumb-lucky enough to order a quad-core BTO Mac mini in 2014 right before the Great Mac mini Lobotomization. And then for four years there was no Mac mini worth buying. So I bought the i7 Mac mini a month ago specifically for future-proofing, in case they pull another bone-headed lobotomization stunt like that in a couple years and devastate the lineup again.

8. WC7 macrumors newbie

I was, actually, hoping they would introduce an A-chip version of the mini. I guess the iOS or macOS crossover software and applications are not there yet to unseat Intel chips. But as I have mentioned my needs are pretty basic ... otoh, I do need a full blown Xcode on the A chip platform.

9. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502a

DesterWallaboo

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

11. WC7 macrumors newbie

Hacks = not germane to this thread. Besides, a hack'n'tosh is not a legitimate Macintosh!