Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I swapped out my 2012 i7 for the i5 256gb over the weekend. Seeing the benchmarks for the i7 I didn't think it justified an extra $200. Those extra 2 cores make a huge difference even without hyper-threading. I am hoping this thing will sit quietly in its spot and not trouble me until 2024. I may treat it to a GPU in 2020 if it behaves itself.

I made the same move and enjoying the new Mac mini a lot. I installed 16gb and a ssd in my 2012 model and it was pretty darn fast. This new mini(i5) feels so much faster with the new cpu. I will eventually install 32gb of ram.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
There's no reason except ineptness, poor design, and greed for the Mac Mini to not be user upgradeable. Period.

Prediction: After slow sales, Apple will eventually discontinue this if not get out of the modular desktop or pro market completely. They just don't care enough nor do they want to listen to real desktop or pro users. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems as if Apple is incurably infected with the iPhone thinness, lightness, shiny things disease. My near 10 year old Cheese Grater Pro is still a more capable machine than this on several levels.
If it came with an i5 instead of an i3 as standard, I wouldn't mind the soldered CPU as much. If it came with 256 GB instead of 128 GB as standard, I wouldn't mind the soldered storage as much.

The problem is going to be the i3 + 128 GB model aging a lot faster, and with no real upgrade path for the CPU.

dumoore

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2017
People complain about hard drive cost. Yes Apple does not gives customer free upgrades at cost, of course there will be some cost on top of the cost of the hard drive. And the hard drive is a super fast new form hard drive not the old spinny hard drives you find at Best Buy. A 1TB hard drive is around $450 for Samsung model MZ-V6P1T0

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I’ve had a “Sawtooth” G4 followed by an original Mini. When the iMac went Aluminum I jumped to the 24” All-In-One.

My only reason for giving that up (after subsequently upgrading to a 27”) was to consolidate my monitor options to work from home. So in 2016 I got a aging Mac Mini with adequate RAM and storage and a Dell 34” Curved 21:9 screen. This allowed me to dual purpose the screen for the Mini and my work Windows machine.

The Mini is my main computer and is always on so to allow streaming of a full iTunes movie and music library and houses all photos (photos and media on external drives). I did get a MacBook Air but it was only ever a laptop when I needed one, not a primary device.

Even with the new Mini and new Air just released, I suspect I will get a MacBook Pro as my main machine and relegate my Mini to the home media server and repository.

Spending money on an upgraded model doesn’t make any sense unless you really have a specific purpose for it.

imgroot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2018
Here is my setup...for now. I have a couple more things on order to round things out for my external hard drives (backups, etc).

Attachments

• setup.png
    setup.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 831
Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm still curious as to how the integrated graphics copes with 1 or 2 x 4k@60Hx displays in scaled ('looks like 2560x1440') display mode*. Not on serious graphics/3D workloads (we know you'll need an eGPU for that) but in terms of how smooth the UI is doing 2D work - especially in non-Metal apps.

I'm thinking about things like 'home' photo editing, vector graphics, or rendering some of the more graphically elaborate instrument plug-ins in Logic/Garageband - the sort of things you wouldn't really expect to need an eGPU for. However, 4k is shifting a lot of pixels, and scaled mode (crudely speaking, 5k downsampled to 4k) puts extra load on the GPU (and isn't something that would happen on Windows, which the GPU was designed for) so I'm a bit skeptical about depending on the lowest-spec Intel integrated graphics.

There's been a report in another thread of it being sluggish in Photoshop in "scaled" mode.

* which is the "goldilocks" setting for a 27-28" 4k display - without scaling its a choice between 'too big' and 'too small'.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
mac mini, keyboard + lg 5k monitor is $1000 more than 27 iMac.
strange

Yeah, that 5K monitor is severely overpriced. Few would buy that as a companion to the Mini. I for instance am seriously considering getting a beefed up version of the Mini, add a 4K monitor for 400 bucks and I am still 700 bucks away from the 15" entry MacBook Pro that's basically less than half the performance of my planned Mini configuration. It all comes down to needs and circumstances. My old MacBook Pro will do just fine for occasional travel, and when that craps itself (after 7+ years), I'll just get a new Air and it'll do just fine.

Macalope

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
The purpose of the original mini, as I understood it, was to create an affordable MacOS machine that would spread the adoption of Macs. With the 60% price hike, it no longer serves that function. Speaking as someone who was in that original demographic and was interested in buying a new Mac in that same price range, no, it was definitely not worth the four-year wait.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Could you connect a Mac mini directly to a Surface with no third-party display, or would that be a bad idea?

I suppose I might go the complete opposite route and buy a MBP to occasionally run Windows, but people seem to be really mixed on the latest MBPs.

There are several ways to go about using the Surface as the "monitor" for a MacMini. The simplest and most tested is to use some form Remote Desktop. You use remote access to connect to, view, and control the MacMini from your Surface. I used to do this (and still do in various forms) with an iPad instead of a Surface. This method has highish latency (especially over WiFi) in the display and can be rather frustrating if you want to do anything quickly.

The low latency solution would be find a way to get USB DisplayLink working, and have the MacMini output Video directly to the Surface. Something like Splashtop Xdisplay. I have never investigated doing USB video into a Surface or other Windows10 based system. I'm sure there is a method, but it likely won't be a main-stream plug-and-play product. And will require some level of technical wrangling.

Possibly the better solution is to just plug the MacMini into your existing TV (if you have one) and use a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Any LogicTechs one will do. The K750 for Mac for example, or even just the just the K750 for Windows will work, and work for both your Surface and the Mini.

Reactions: max.ine

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Apple could have included a mobile GPU at least. Or at least Iris Plus Graphics.
Apple would've had to go with a mobile CPU to get Iris Plus. No Coffee Lake desktop CPU has it.

You can blame Intel, as they typically assume the desktop CPUs will be used with a dedicated GPU, except in low-end or budget PCs.

But in Apple's case it was the decision to keep the same form factor, which wouldn't be able to handle the extra heat added by a dGPU. Just wish they'd have made the i5 standard at the very least, to pass on the cost savings from not having a dGPU.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Has anyone attempted to dual boot a Linux distro or is it the same situation as the T2 equipped notebooks? It's a shame that we won't be able to use Linux natively on modern Macs. VM is always usable but it's not the same thing.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Having a 2012 MM i5 with 16 gigs of RAM and hanging an external SSD off of it has given me very good service. I also have a late 13 i5 iMac with the same great service. Have been in the MAC camp since System 7 and am really a fan of Mac OS. That being said.......This HP Z2 appears to be a really good deal. Thoughts? Same cost as the i5.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...2aUVI68HMKGUWH5qKY2ivbQKuRoCJNAQAvD_BwE&smp=Y

Reactions: tubular

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Is the integrated graphics performance ashamingly poor as expected?

Apple could have included a mobile GPU at least. Or at least Iris Plus Graphics.

If to have a MINIMUM graphics performance you need an eGPU, then the Mini is no more ‘Mini’

Unless you're doing something that requires intense GPU use, most all built in GPU's work for people. There is a demographic that requires more (video editors, modeling, rendering, etc). For most, you don't need it. If you do, you will have an eGPU.

The Mac mini is great machine, however the i3/128 should be nixed and never ever released. Old, low grade tech. Would that work for some? Sure. Most? No. i5/256/8GB should be standard. End of story.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
mac mini, keyboard + lg 5k monitor is $1000 more than 27 iMac.
strange

And that 5K Retina iMac also has a dedicated GPU instead of just the onboard UHD630. It's also that that particular display is expensive and its price is much more than what Apple spends on the iMac's display. Due to Apple's contracts they probably pay $100 for those displays. We can't buy something of that quality (5K P3) for anywhere near that price.

Reactions: femike

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I like the new Mini but I think the praise it is receiving is unwarranted. Apple basically waited four years before upgrading it and everyone is impressed with how much faster it is over the one released in 2014? Especially when many considered the 2014 model gimped compared to the 2012 model. If Apple had been upgrading it as new technology became available this upgrade would be welcome but not really noteworthy.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
What is it with reviewing authors not talking about video transcoding using the T2 chip? sounds like its either not important or the authors are not adequately reviewing these.

this is from Apple: "T2 also features HEVC video transcoding that’s up to an incredible 30 times faster, enabling pro users to work more quickly with higher resolution video throughout their workflow." https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/new-mac-mini-packs-huge-punch/

this is from Marco: "
But if an app supports the T2’s hardware HEVC encoder,

ffmpeg can do it by specifying -c:v hevc_videotoolbox instead of -c:v x265. I also needed -vtag hvc1 for the output MP4s with either codec to be playable on macOS.

Compressor uses the T2’s HEVC acceleration when encoding 8-bit HEVC, but not 10-bit.

"it can go much faster. And since every T2 so far performs identically, all T2 machines — from the 2018 MacBook Air to the iMac Pro — encode HEVC this way at the same speed, and all in complete silence because they’re barely touching the CPU." https://marco.org/2018/11/06/mac-mini-2018-review

here is one comparing a MacBook Pro with T2 to an iMac 5k (pre-T2):

"Now onto our final test, exporting HEVC footage to HEVC. For the first time in our testing, the MacBook Pro is now exporting almost 3 times as fast as the iMac 5K, and it also got way slower with the eGPU connected." https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/15/compared-2018-i9-macbook-pro-versus-imac-5k-performance.​

Remarkably here the author basically says "I dunno" as to why the MacBook Pro with T2 is so much faster. Could be differences in Intel chips, it was not clear whether he was running the transcoding on the T2 from the article.

Surely, a worthwhile review point. Please let us know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.