Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I don’t think so but Apple says Fall. So my guess is we’ll see it in 10.15.

The cynical part of me says that it will offer features and bundles that no one else does. And you will have to buy a new 3-5000 dollar Apple computer to be able to use it.

Don't take that comment seriously, I had a bad day and am feeling generally pessimistic right now.

Reactions: Icaras

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
The cynical part of me says that it will offer features and bundles that no one else does. And you will have to buy a new 3-5000 dollar Apple computer to be able to use it.

Don't take that comment seriously, I had a bad day and am feeling generally pessimistic right now.
Sorry you’re having a bad day. Tomorrow is another day

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Worthless without Netflix and Hulu integration.
There’s Hulu integration, but not Netflix. The TV app will track which shows/episodes are up next on Hulu, but will still take you to the Hulu app to actually stream content. So basically nothing changes from the current implementation.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Do you know if this will authenticate with your satellite Directv subscription? When it first came out. It would not.

I've been using it with DirecTV satellite for 2-3 years now. For the most part, it works great. I had some trouble with the Starz app, but I think it was on them, not DirecTV.

N1nJar

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Are they ever going to integrate family purchases into this interface?
^this! I bet they don’t. It’s not so bad on the :apple: TV since it can switch accounts, but on family members iphones they have to download purchases by trawling the purchased section of the iTunes app to watch them. They can’t be streamed, and don’t show as purchased in the TV app.

Reactions: TimFL1

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Am I right to assume that an Apple TV 3 will not support this? Oh well, guess I can always AirPlay from the Mac or iPad.

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
Did they by any chance fix the screensaver this time around? This thing has never really worked for me. I have it set to download new flyovers daily, yet I always get the same 5-10, even though there are now about 70(!) available and counting.

It's just embarrassing that an unofficial, open-source screensaver for the Mac works flawlessly and with a gazillion options while Apple can't even get their first-party app to simply pull a new file per day. It's frustrating.

psykix

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
^this! I bet they don’t. It’s not so bad on the :apple: TV since it can switch accounts, but on family members iphones they have to download purchases by trawling the purchased section of the iTunes app to watch them. They can’t be streamed, and don’t show as purchased in the TV app.

Until they do this, my iTunes purchases will be limited. Expecting my kids to download onto their ipads before they can watch is just ridiculous.

Reactions: Marekul

pipis2010

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Greece
We don't know yet, but I'm going to guess there will be no discounts at all for these channels. I think Apple's idea is to just consolidate everything into one app (which they tried to do with the original Apple TV app) and add more options for getting content (ie. channel sign ups). I bet you HBO, Stars, etc. are the same price they are everywhere else although I hope I'm wrong. If that's the case, is this really a big deal?

Still disappointed Netflix won't be integrated, but I do like that Sony is on board for the Vue service because the Vue ATV app is really garbage, hopefully the TV app will be better with UI.

I'm also wondering how integrated these channels are, for example can I set and see grouped "season passes" or "DVRed" (in Sony's parlance) shows, or does it not go that deep and it's just integrating search results?

Why can't Apple just bundle everything together and charge a fixed amount every month, so that EVERYONE (Globally) can have access to all these channels? I don't understand - isn't it beneficial for these channels as well? (I know they are usually offered via satelite/cable providers, but why can't we have the option to have these also via Apple?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
so how does this work with existing third party apps? Eg showtime was an example given. I assume there is a separate showtime app, and previously you could search for content in the TV app, do 'up next' and 'continue watching' and it'd link out to the app to play something.

So now you can do all that without linking out - so you don't even need the showtime app installed? If so this feels like Apple leveraging their power after bringing all the third parties together to add value to their TV app, now they're cutting out that middle man.

If this takes off, they'll own both the playback and the discovery part - third parties will increasingly become just content providers. For some that might be ok, but for others they will want to editorialise and control how their content is surfaced to users - and increasingly that will be difficult/impossible.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The whole revamed TV app looks good.. All in one place... Makes you start to wonder why you even need the corresponding app installed anymore.

When all you need is a subscription.

Hallouminati

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I really hope some of these can be disabled. Far too much screen real estate is taken up with **** I don’t want. I want to see what I’ve bought and what I can play now, not loads of suggestions for apps I do not own and don’t want to (most of which I’ve storied and dislike). Please, can I just get iTunes 5 back and be done with it. So simple to use and watch whatever I want.

As somebody else said, so much of it is irrelevant to a huge part of the population as well.

Reactions: cardfan

Tomapple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Santiago, Chile
So... does it support NETFLIX or not?

With this I mean if Netflix content appear in searches and recommendations. I don't care if once you select the show it opens the Netflix app. I only care that its content is displayed in the app within the content of all the other streaming services. Is that so?

Ellis.adam

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
so how does this work with existing third party apps? Eg showtime was an example given. I assume there is a separate showtime app, and previously you could search for content in the TV app, do 'up next' and 'continue watching' and it'd link out to the app to play something.

So now you can do all that without linking out - so you don't even need the showtime app installed? If so this feels like Apple leveraging their power after bringing all the third parties together to add value to their TV app, now they're cutting out that middle man.

If this takes off, they'll own both the playback and the discovery part - third parties will increasingly become just content providers. For some that might be ok, but for others they will want to editorialise and control how their content is surfaced to users - and increasingly that will be difficult/impossible.
[doublepost=1553774750][/doublepost]I’m wondering the same thing. I already subscribe to all these apps. Will my dish login work or will I be forced to subscribe in the TV app to get the feature of not having to leave the TV app

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Anyone have any info of what all this will mean for us UK users? The selection of apps available for the current TV app is pretty terrible, and we obviously aren’t going to get stuff like Hulu.

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Buuuh! I don’t use the current TV App because of the „Recently added to iTunes“ Category. I wan’t in the TV app only content for what I don’t need to pay extra.

Looks like that Apple is expending the advertisement in that app with the channels.

I know Apple will never to that, but I want an option to hide everything for what I need to pay extra.
But I don’t need that app and so I will just to continue not to use it :)

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am getting Netflix suggestions. Specifically, while looking at One Nation Under Stress I get Netflix owned documentaries suggestions. I thought Netflix was being left out. I read the article carefully to see if this was noticed. Anyone else?

I have noticed that i am getting recommendations from Netflix in the Apple tv app also. But unlike other providers that just let you play a movie directly from the app. It actually asks you to open Netflix to view it. So it is like you get a Netflix recommendation. But then need to go to the app after. Which sucks.

Reactions: Tomapple

Tevos

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
Yes, I would be maybe interested in Apple services (News/TV with or without '+') if not for geo-lock. No access to original versions, no access to many interesting US magazines. Just like iTunes... They can shove it until content blockers are removed. I'll never pay for sub-standard offerings not to mention being treated as a 3rd - or even further down the ladder - class customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.