Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google in May unveiled its first foldable smartphone, the Pixel Fold. We picked up a Pixel Fold and thought we'd check it out to see how it compares to Apple's latest iPhones.

The Pixel Fold has a display size of 7.6 inches when it is unfolded, but when collapsed, the cover display measures in at 5.8 inches. Both displays feature a refresh rate up to 120Hz, like the latest Pro iPhones. It has a strong hinge that works at any angle, and when closed, there's no gap in the hinge.

Size wise, the Pixel Fold is the perfect size for day to day use when folded thanks to the cover screen, and it's sized like the iPhone X for reference. At 7.6 inches unfolded, it's bigger than any smartphone but smaller than an iPad mini, so it is a nice in-between size that's neither too small nor too big.

There's a Google Tensor G2 processor inside, Google's analogue to the A-series chips that Apple designs. It features 12GB RAM and starts with 256GB of storage and a 4821mAh battery, so the hardware is not too far off of what Apple's offering. As for software, Google has been working on Android for foldable smartphones, but developers have not all adapted their Android apps for the form factor and it's noticeable.

Google included a 48-megapixel rear camera, the same as Apple's 14 Pro and Pro Max, which is okay, but nothing spectacular. It also has 10.8-megapixel telephoto and ultrawide cameras, along with a 9.5-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel inner camera.

Rumors have suggested that Apple is experimenting with foldable smartphone technology, but so far work on such a device has not moved out of the early prototyping stage. There is no word on when Apple might come out with a folding iPhone, but with the launch of the Pixel Fold, the major Android manufacturers all offer foldable smartphones.

The Pixel Fold is priced at $1,800, which is much higher priced than anything Apple offers. The steep price point for foldables may be one reason why Apple has yet to enter the market.

Article Link: Hands-On With Google's Pixel Fold Smartphone

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Size wise, the Pixel Fold is the perfect size for day to day use when folded thanks to the cover screen, and it's sized like the iPhone X for reference.

I would think it is considerably thicker than an iPhone X tho, which is the main problem I have with these foldables in general.

Another point is the lack of optimized apps for the wide/open screen aside from some of Google's own like the weather app - this will surely improve over time.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 11.50.17 AM.png

Ah yes... the future

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
Im probably in the minority here, but if I wasnt so deep into the Apple ecosystem, I would have bought this at launch.

I know some feel it’s dumb or just a gimmick, which I can agree with gimmick, but after playing with a galaxy fold for a few hours, I can’t help but love the concept folding concept.

whiteashsaturday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
Weight: 10oz (284g)

The weight of phones you hold in your hand all the time is becoming foolishly heavy.

iPhone 5s was 3.92oz
iPhone 7 was 4.87
iPhone 12-mini is 4.76oz
iPhone 14 Pro is 6.07oz
iPhone 14 Pro Max is 8.47oz

My iPad Air 4th gen is 16.16oz, which makes sense as it is 11' in size, lasts all day, etc.

Yes they are bigger, but I talk to people, and no-one carries these phones any more, they leave them in their backpacks, or in the car. The SE and Mini phones are the most popular in the consumer category for anyone who really uses their phone, and pays attention to weight.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Weight: 10oz (284g)

The weight of phones you hold in your hand all the time is becoming foolishly heavy.

iPhone 5s was 3.92oz
iPhone 7 was 4.87
iPhone 12-mini is 4.76oz
iPhone 14 Pro is 6.07oz
iPhone 14 Pro Max is 8.47oz

My iPad Air 4th gen is 16.16oz, which makes sense as it is 11' in size, lasts all day, etc.

Yes they are bigger, but I talk to people, and no-one carries these phones any more, they leave them in their backpacks, or in the car. The SE and Mini phones are the most popular in the consumer category for anyone who really uses their phone, and pays attention to weight.
They're getting heavier, but they aren't heavy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I tried the ipad mini, and it just didn't see enough usage cases for me, probably because it was a second device i had to bring with me, where my phone was ALWAYS with me anyway. This basically solves that problem because its *almost* a folded ipad mini with an iphone up front. I could see myself using the front 75% of the time and then using it unfolded for watching videos, maybe even multi tasking some.

I think there's a lot of potential value here and something that, if polished just a bit more, could really be the first real disruption to smartphones since the iphone.

For my use, I'd need to see how a case fits into the equation too. I cant see myself rocking $1800 in my pocket with no level of protection, especially since I tend to keep my devices 4-5 years.

MacWiz_007

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
🇺🇸
Finally I can send an update! I got my Pixel Fold on June 27th (Porcelain 256GB), and I like it so much it was easy to trade my Z Fold 4 in for it. The combination of the form factor and a more vanilla Android experience were enough for me to make the switch. The battery optimization and battery life are much better than the Z Fold 4 as well, in my use case anyway. I use my phone between 1.5 and 2 hours a day during the week, at most, and I always have around 70% battery life at the end of the day (my day starts at 4:45am and ends at 8:45pm). The inner and outer display look great and the speech recognition for texts, etc. is top notch. It is buttery smooth no matter what I've thrown at it. I haven't had any issues with the phone getting too hot or overheating. Maybe I won the Tensor chip lottery, but again no issues here. The bezels don't bother me like I thought they would because I force dark mode on everything anyway. I do hate bezels with a passion, but I don't ever really see the bezels on the PF. Also, the bezels do prevent accidental touches and it gives me something extra to use when folding the device so I don't feel like I'm pushing on the display. The cameras are top tier. It fits easily in pants/shorts/gym shorts pockets. When folded it is barely thicker than my wife's 12 Pro Max with a slim case on it. This phone honestly looks and feels a lot like I would imagine a Steve Jobs era foldable phone would end up looking and feeling in hand. If you have ever wanted to try a foldable, I highly recommend the Pixel Fold. Even though I pretty much despise Google, this is a great phone and at least Google is US based (unlike Samsung, etc.), which is a big win to me. Worst case scenario, you can always return it. For reference, I owned every iPhone from the 4 to the 12 Pro Max. I jumped ship for the Z Fold 3 and I've never looked back nor have I regretted this decision. Every device I owned was Apple, and it was a lot of devices. The switch was not difficult for me at all. I know the diehards will downvote this, but that's okay. When I see someone with an iPhone now, I think to myself "Aw, what a cute little slab phone that never changes its design and doesn't support multitasking, I'm glad I don't have one of those anymore". Come on folks, I have to have a little fun with you here! 😁 I think it is nice to have options in this world. If Apple made a book style foldable iPhone, I would consider going back to Apple. I really enjoy Android now though. It has come a looooong way in the past five years.

***For those of you who are about to say "it's a solution in search of a problem" or "I don't get the appeal of foldables", it is simple really. I was using an iPhone and an iPad Mini daily, and I wanted two devices in one highly portable device. It's not rocket science***

Last edited:

MacWiz_007

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
🇺🇸
Im probably in the minority here, but if I wasnt so deep into the Apple ecosystem, I would have bought this at launch.

I know some feel it’s dumb or just a gimmick, which I can agree with gimmick, but after playing with a galaxy fold for a few hours, I can’t help but love the concept folding concept.
It's not that difficult to leave the Apple ecosystem. I've done it and I was deeply entrenched.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
$1800 for 256GB storage, did I read that right? ouch ... but, Apple, come on, offer us some choices! while a foldable wouldn't be for me there are others who would love one ...
The $1800 is far more for the foldable tech than it is the storage IMO. A pro max is $1200 for the same config and this phone has an ipad mini sandwiched in between. Rumor is the 15 pro max will be more, too.

To be real, I wouldn't pay $1800 for any phone, but I also don't think it's a asinine intro price, assuming it doesn;t fall apart like some foldables tend to do after normal use. Keep in mind, pixel phones historically go on sale a few months in, too. By the time iphone 15 launches I'd bet this could be had around the $1200 mark, maybe less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.