MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 9, the iPad is gaining a feature that will completely change the way a lot of us use our tablets, introducing functionality that will make it much easier to use the iPad as a serious computer replacement. That feature, which has been much-desired for several years now, is multitasking.

We went hands-on with iOS 9 to check out the multitasking feature on an iPad Air 2, and made a quick video to share what the new features look and feel like.

There are three different aspects to multitasking on the iPad: Slide Over, Split View, and Picture in Picture. Slide Over can be activated in any supported app. Pull over from the right side of the screen to the left to open up a second window, which takes up 1/3 of the screen.

This isn't true multitasking because it pauses the background window, but it's a way to quickly send an email or answer an incoming email without having to stop what you're doing. You can change the app shown in the Slide Over by swiping down from the top of the screen.

On an iPad Air 2, if you pull the Slide Over window further to the left, it'll enter Split View. Split View shows two apps at once and is a true multitasking feature. You can use both apps independently of one another and both are fully functional, with each taking up half the screen.

The third new multitasking feature is Picture in Picture, which works similarly to the picture-in-picture function on televisions. When watching a video or participating in a FaceTime call, the video window can be minimized to one corner of the iPad so you can continue to use other apps while you watch (or chat).

For now, all of these features are compatible only with Apple's apps, but third-party apps will also be compatible with multitasking with developer support. Slide Over and Picture in Picture work on the iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, and iPad mini 3, but Split View feature is limited to the iPad Air 2, which has a more powerful A8X processor and 2GB RAM.

Multitasking is built into iOS 9, which is currently only available to developers. Apple plans to release a public beta of iOS 9 in July, with the official public launch coming in the fall

For more on what's new in iOS 9, make sure to check out our detailed iOS 9 roundup.

Article Link: Hands-On With iOS 9's New iPad Multitasking Feature

Last edited by a moderator:

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's a shame that Split View is limited to the latest iPad. And it's odd that Slide Over is different than Split View; I think that it should all be Split View, and you can resize the windows as you see fit. I guess we may see that happen in future hardware.

Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
It's not the A8X processor that's needed for split view, it's the additional ram.
Apps like safari or messages don't even use half of the capabilities of the normal A8.
Thought you knew.

Reactions: Billy95Tech
Comment

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
It's a shame that Split View is limited to the latest iPad. And it's odd that Slide Over is different than Split View; I think that it should all be Split View, and you can resize the windows as you see fit. I guess we may see that happen in future hardware.

It's because when the "opened app" doesn't support split view, only we can do is slide over. That makes the slide over available anywhere.

Apple can't make the third party apps do split view automatically.. developers need to update it because there's lots of element in an app that needs to be automatically adjust it's location, resize, hide because of the limited screen, etc when doing a split view.

Comment

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
The way you guys ended this video... I'm surprised it didn't begin with "What is up guys? MKBHD Here..."
It's more like youtube reviewer detroitborg that they are trying to copy.

Last edited:
Comment

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
I want Picture in Picture on OS X. Sure, I can already resize a window, then move it around, but this is more elegant.

Comment

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My guess is that the 6s+ will have some multitasking as well. (the picture in picture at least)

Comment

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
It's going to take a lot more than multitasking to make the iPad come anywhere near a Mac laptop for productivity.

Comment

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I want Picture in Picture on OS X. Sure, I can already resize a window, then move it around, but this is more elegant.
There are 3rd party that can do similar. My guess they will add the 'smart' resizing in the next next OS X version so as to not take the spotlight away from iOS on it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.