Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I had the Logitech Folio one (without trackpad) for the iPad pro 12.9. Was only $120. Worked great. Hope they release one with the trackpad.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
If you're going to saddle the svelte iPad with that monstrosity, just GET A FREAKIN' LAPTOP!!!! Gah...humans.

Not when you have to manage software and security on the laptop. Stuff like kids in classrooms, line-of-business applications like retail stores and healthcare.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The occasional some keys not working was addressed in the macrumor forums in a Logitech keyboard thread. The issue is in the settings -> general —> keyboard -> language is set to “automatic” and needs to be changed to us English. This fixes the issue. Please try this and update the review. Thanks.

We're testing this and will update if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the heads up!

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I prefer this over the Apple's keyboard because this has a case and the extra row of keys above the numbers.
But I wonder if the magnets on Apple's keyboard are strong enough to work thru a case.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
They probably only released these for the older models to not compete with Apple's new ridiculously priced offering for the current iPad Pros. I hope I'm wrong and Logitech comes out with this design for the current Pros at some point before the next generation of iPad...

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Nope, I'm perfectly fine with mine. iPadOS 13 still feels smooth on it, so no need to spend $1k plus on a new one.

Oh I agree with you entirely. That was Tim Cook talking earlier. Sorry, he jumps on my MacRumors account from time to time.

• Haha
Reactions: mazz0

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Got mine today, for use with my iPad Pro 10.5” after my Apple Smart Keyboard Cover crapped out months ago. I would say the Logitech keyboard is 10/10 for function for me. The keyboard, trackpad, special function keys, gestures, etc all work great. I can’t emphasize that enough. I am very pleased with how this thing works. I did have the “non-working keys” situation (I noticed it with the apostrophe), but changing the setting from Automatic to “US” in Settings —> General —> Keyboard —> Hardware Keyboard fixed it right up.

My complaints:
- Not just bulky as all hell, but heavy too. I couldn’t believe how heavy the box was when I first picked it up.
- The kickstand makes it hard to use on your lap. With Apple’s Smart Keyboard Cover it was pretty easy to fold it into the typing position and was easier to use on most surfaces, particularly your lap. This one’s fine on a table, though.
- You can’t fold the keyboard around to the back if you want to use your iPad for reading in portrait mode. You have to remove the keyboard for that.
- The smart connector magnets for the keyboard can’t support the keyboard’s weight. If you grab the iPad while the keyboard is attached and open and don’t support the keyboard, it will fall off. Stays on fine when closed, though.

In the end, I would say that the function outweighs those drawbacks and I will for sure keep using it. Undoubtedly I’ll also get used to some of those things with time and it will just get better. As long as this thing holds up, I’m not at all sorry I bought it.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The Slim Combo does not add any functionality that my Apple Smart Keyboard Cover already has for my first gen. I'm looking for a cover or case that uses the smart connector and has trackpad functionality, which will never release because no current iPad matches the size of the original 12.9".

Maybe not functionality checkboxes - but I had the Apple Smart Keyboard Cover myself... and the Logitech Slim Combo is miles above it if you're actually trying to use the iPad as a primary computing device (backlit, actual key travel, better kickstand, etc.)

But - I do agree that getting a trackpad version would be awesome!

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
I have this cheap and rudimentary bluetooth keyboard for my 2018 9.7" iPad, it has the function keys, works in both portrait and landscape orientations, and weighs like a feather.

706F4307-63E8-4A31-B541-9733E59FF7F8.jpeg

85B4E3C0-3CEB-4560-8DF9-1B5102773100.jpeg

Reactions: mazz0

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
They probably only released these for the older models to not compete with Apple's new ridiculously priced offering for the current iPad Pros. I hope I'm wrong and Logitech comes out with this design for the current Pros at some point before the next generation of iPad...
Also read somewhere, they were working with Apples help on this product. Could imagine the deal covers not making a version for the FaceID iPads to not compete with the Magic Keyboard.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Looks ugly compared to the magic keyboard
Right now it does, but it looks like it will hold up over time a lot better than Apple’s one!

Its the touchpad not clicking at the top that puts me off. i absolutely hate that. It’s one of the reasons Windows laptops tend to be so very very bad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If only they would make something like these for the 1st Gen iPad Pro 12.9". I'm still rocking mine 4 years later and would appreciate a keyboard/trackpad combo that worked with the smart connector instead of bluetooth
Keyboard/trackpad combo itself worked on my 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 and 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 so I expect it'll work on the 1st gen Pro 12.9, too. Pretty cramped compared to the 12.9 ASK though and you'll need to figure out what to use as stand. I use a slim case with a trifold cover stand and that works ok with this keyboard. Obviously, no angle adjustment.

Adam Bakehouse

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
So I got this on Friday of last week and I have to say I’m impressed.
The trackpad works great and I have small hands so the keyboard layout works well for me.
It is solid which is a plus however is heavy.
I checked it out and it feels like it doubles the weight of the iPad!

overall though, I highly recommend it.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think its a nice accessory at a good price and its good to see different options available for people depending on which iPad they use.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think its a nice accessory at a good price and its good to see different options available for people depending on which iPad they use.
Alas, this is only for older iPad Pros or cheaper iPads. 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro, only unified option at the moment is the Magic Keyboard.

That said, I'm pretty grateful for the iPad 7th gen and Air 3 as their existence allowed accessories that support the older Pros to be made.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This looks like a nice product, with some advantages and disadvantages. One of the downsides of this design is that the iPad plus kickstand and keyboard with trackpad combine to create a pretty large footprint on a table or desk. Typically, this isn't a major issue, but I suspect it would not be a great set up for working on an airplane.

Reactions: fbr$ and ascender

Jester_A

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
I am curious if this keyboard have the same problem as the previous Logitech Slim Folio. When you open up the keyboard wont respond and you have to manually disconnect screen with keyboard to get the keyboard to light up and work again. Pretty irritating! I read one review on this new keyboard that remarked just the same issue.
[automerge]1587477939[/automerge]
I already ordered this new keyboard and waits for Apple to ship it.... I really loved the design of Logitech Slim Folio so this one will be great! Huge fan of Logitech keyboards, personally i use MX Keys too that i feel is much better than magic keyboard.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This looks like a nice product, with some advantages and disadvantages. One of the downsides of this design is that the iPad plus kickstand and keyboard with trackpad combine to create a pretty large footprint on a table or desk. Typically, this isn't a major issue, but I suspect it would not be a great set up for working on an airplane.
Likely depends on how far back you need to tilt the kickstand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.