Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I have been a microsoft surface supporter but I don't think this is going to do well, given the price and wow, it's two screens struck together. As mentioned, most people don't need this. At $1,400 dollars, you have much better options.
That's what I thought too until I really quit thinking of it as a consumer device. It's more like the Surface Hub geared for enterprise users. It's focused on productivity they never say it makes Netflix or face book more awesome and just like the Surface Hub it's high priced because I see them expecting companies to buy these in bulk and deploy out in the work field. Its HoloLens, but as a phone. When I thing of it this way I can appreciate what they are doing and will eventually bring down cost to consumer level

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I don't know how anyone can think this looks good haha looks like two 2008 tablets stuck together. I think folding displays once they deal with the crease issue will be the way forward, not this hinge system.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
My guess, someone in Microsoft Mgmt said:

"Hey, lets push out one of those UN-completed back-burner projects, & see how much Press Coverage we can generate".

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Good balanced article, but this isn't a smartphone & I see on MS's website, they've been careful not to refer to it as that either.
Maybe you should change the title of this article as slightly misleading. It's more akin to an iPad/MB with an inbuilt sim or using continuity from the iPhone. It's pitched as dual screen mobile productivity device which is what it is, it is to phones what the iPod shuffle was to the original iPod.
For all its 'good' looks and seemingly good build quality, in my experience if it's got the reliability of the surface pro range & combined with android at the moment, I'd say pass. Maybe in later revisions might be worth a look if it lasts that long and not cancelled before.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Ok. How do you use this as a phone? You know for making and receiving calls when you are on the go? This form factor is rather large folded and a tablet sized when opened.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Ok. How do you use this as a phone? You know for making and receiving calls when you are on the go? This form factor is rather large folded and a tablet sized when opened.

Microsoft Surface Duo review: Hot mess
But how does the Duo perform as an actual phone? Well, for starters, it's awkward as hell to hold up to your ear because not only is it super wide, but it weighs 250 grams. The mono speaker gets pretty loud, but it's only on one side, so most content consumption should be done on the right display.

250 gams is about 0.55 lbs of weight, that is heavy for a phone. Definitely want to use earbuds if you are going to make a call with the Surface Duo.

Reactions: 2010mini

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Gorgeous hardware. The design is beautiful. It makes all other foldables look like hot garbage. Having said that, why? it’s a stupid form factor. These don’t sell...at all for good reason. Foolish concept. The only ones who call these “the future” are YouTube bloggers easily impressed by gimmicks that they receive for free. I mean who would buy this?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What’s gorgeous about the design? If Apple released something like this the tech media would laugh them off the stage for those thick/outdated bezels.

• Disagree
Reactions: ervingv

omgitsbees

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Hopefully 2nd gen is much better, I am sure it will be. This device looks really cool though! Just needs to get rid of the bezels at the top, improve the camera like 10 fold, and fix the bugs, plus have time for developer to adopt to 2 screens. I really think this might be the future for smartphones, but it is going to take awhile before it becomes standard and the issues are worked out.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
too expensive for something that looks just okay Tech companies need to work on making thinner but can still fold and those black edges holy crap did we travel back in the time? It least this a start for a Surface to foldable lets see how 2nd gen will look or Apple iPad foldable ones in the future.

• Disagree

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Goes to show ya...

watched entire video. No mention and no demo of...
THE PHONE

the industry does not even care about phones anymore.
Here we are in 2020 and I still can’t get reception in my house or my work.
Macrumors is in so deep, they don’t even realize they too just ignored the actual phone capabilities.

Pathetic.

Reactions: 2010mini

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
I just can't believe that with five years to prepare this is the reentry into the smartphone market for Microsoft. They showed up with last year's processor/Bluetooth/WiFi and last decade's bezels/4G. This could have been an OLED X-Box phone teamed up with Razer and no bezels + 120-240 refresh rate launched (or bundled) with the new X-Box in 2 months. Imagine buying this phone and getting the cheaper version of the new X-Box for free. Or the ultimate MS Office phone. Or a relaunch of LinkedIn + Teams + Skype in an iMessage/FaceTime competitor at the OS level. Or a blue ocean move like putting in a user-swappable battery (gasp!) or upgradeable RAM and parts aimed at business enthusiasts.

It's 25-40% too chunky horizontally because of the bezels, and the hidden screens make it impossible to check notifications or play with your phone with one finger/while multitasking (that's what she said?) Microsoft is worth like two trillion. They have a monopoly on DOD operating systems. What the hell are they bowing down to Google for? Rhetorical question, I get it, the Play Store exists. But they could have written a blank check to Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Razer, Samsung or Asus, a company who is actually innovating correctly. I'm disappointed, and I wanted to love this, but I'm glad they are attempting to crawl in the direction of taking some marketshare someday (maybe?) from Apple/Google. How does something this obvious elude the design/engineering: a phone over $500 in 2020 with garbage cameras is D-O-A.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
To me at least it seems like this form factor is far more likely to actually work and be durable than a foldable screen, at least for the foreseeable future. I can at least sort of imagine using one of these day-to-day, unlike the folding phones which I can't even picture being useful.

That said, here we are with another company selling a $1400 prototype, which is frankly insulting. The irony is that what makes it a shoddy product is, apparently, the OS.

Microsoft, of all companies, is stuck using somebody else's crappy monopolist commodity OS on their own hardware, and it's dragging the whole product down. The irony is so delicious it's almost hard to believe.

Imagine telling someone not that long ago that Microsoft, king of race-to-the-bottom computing and There-Is-One-Operating-System-And-You-Will-Like-It, would be making ultra-high-end hardware (the 256GB version is more expensive than any phone Apple sells, and in fact costs more than anything but a maxed-out 13" iPad Pro) that not only doesn't run a Microsoft OS, but the OS it's saddled with makes the whole thing a mediocre product. It's like opposite world has become reality.

Microsoft in the phone/phablet space has literally become Sony's computer division of 20 years ago.

canned_tuna_og

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2020
When positioned north:south (like a laptop), this could be cool for 5 seconds if the south half turned into a touch keyboard. Otherwise, I don't see the long-term value. Microsoft attempting to create a space by going in reverse...to the early 2000s.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
As it has been said before:

"It's the software, stupid!"

I like Android well enough on my Samsung devices, but this here is trash.

Which is consistent with how fed up I am with Microsoft and their software: moments of actual competence marred by unforgivable annoyances, especially when I've had access to Apple devices (and Linux) for so long.

It's always "serviceable", but never great, unless you're a PC gamer or use Office... those two are the ONLY spaces I see Microsoft excel at (no pun intended).

I couldn't even stand the Xbox software.

And I ABSOLUTELY FRAKKING DETEST Teams. Curse the day my company decided to trade using Cisco Jabber for that POS.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: ervingv and rezwits

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Not the real deal yet, of course, but devices could well soon morph into this sort of thing. The largest iPhones are too big for my pockets - I have tried. When something the thickness of my X is available, which folds out into a device with twice the screen size, then why wouldn't I want one? We're just not there yet.

exactly, this is the one of the beta versions of the future ‘one device’, powerful foldable are where we’re headed in my view. Microsoft tried it but the processors weren’t ready, Apple is getting ready for this.

AR glasses / Apple Watch / headphones -uses without reaching for your device
folded - acts like your phone - iOS like
Unfolded - acts like an iPad - iPad OS like
Docked to screen - acts like a Mac - Mac OS like

Apple will be slow to market (as usual) but when they do it will be one of the best experiences, the recent Mac OS changes and Apple silicon all make sense if this is the planned future.

I know this in cannibalising other devices but over time the competition will force this approach.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Freakin' two screens with a hinge? Now what? um well let's put some video on those screens?
How about a REAL OS? gees... Apple is going to start destroying people...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.