Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
The productivity apps is where it matters for most Mac users. ... This video is fun btw. Just an example of how things don't always go as expected...

Interesting video. Things are changing then, I guess. I've heard so many pros screaming about the lack of CUDA (mostly Adobe products, I guess) that I figured there must be something to it. I've also seen countless comparisons where the CUDA Nvidia cards in a particular app blew the AMD cards away by a lot, not just a little. If that is changing, then great. I also don't have a horse in the race, really.

That said, I'm for choice. So, it would be better if Apple users could pick Nvidia or AMD, or maybe another option or two. It isn't good when just one company is 'the one' with no competition.

Again with the anecdotal and pointless "some people consider Mac to be better".

It might be anecdotal (aside from the many studies that have been run on it over the years, that are now getting a bit old, I suppose), but it certainly isn't pointless. I'm more productive on a Mac, period. That's important to me. Case closed.

You might be more productive on Windows. More power to you. Buy Windows.

You needed quite a lot of word to basically not say and not prove anything.

Well, I didn't say anything that unique that hasn't been said by other experts or proven in various studies over the years.

And, I can't drag you along to past meetings with IT people, so I didn't expect to prove it to you. I can only tell you what I've witnessed.

Reactions: fastasleep
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Interesting video. Things are changing then, I guess. I've heard so many pros screaming about the lack of CUDA (mostly Adobe products, I guess) that I figured there must be something to it. I've also seen countless comparisons where the CUDA Nvidia cards in a particular app blew the AMD cards away by a lot, not just a little. If that is changing, then great. I also don't have a horse in the race, really.

That said, I'm for choice. So, it would be better if Apple users could pick Nvidia or AMD, or maybe another option or two. It isn't good when just one company is 'the one' with no competition.

The Adobe CUDA thing is a myth banded about on forums. Adobe uses Mercury Engine for display acceleration. There is CUDA option for rendering out final video cuts but in my Premiere tests that I posted on Mac Pro forum over the years they were identical to OpenCL.

CUDA has performed well no doubt, but there are always newer rendering engines and compute APIs coming out. Metal Compute is still a baby but it is growing up fast.

One thing that irked Mac users, maybe Windows and Linux users too, was that Nvidia didn't throw any weight behind OpenCL and crippled its performance on Geforce cards prior to Maxwell in order to push CUDA. That really hurt an open standard that could have progressed further than it did. Not implementing 10 bit color on their consumer cards also hurts users who don't want to spend 2-3 grand on a Quadro.

I'd like to see things return to good relations between all chip makers. I like how Apple can take driver source code or chips from third parties and really optimize it with efficiency in mind. Just look at the amazing job they did on the Blackmagic eGPU or how they managed to fit two full size GPUs and a Xeon in the last Mac Pro. The products are expensive and very niche but they demonstrate Apple's ingenuity. Virtually silent, consuming less power, yet performing in the ballpark as their noisy power hungry third party versions.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Yes you lied and you continue to lie.
"You experience" means nothing in the face of the actual proof that I provided.
Deny it all you want, game optimization and availability on Mac is a huge mess there's no way around it.
Have a nice day.
My experience is my proof as I have witnessed first hand. I know exactly how it works as I've done it. You have not and are clearly ignorant of the situation. But please, keep pretending you know what you're talking about.
I have always had 1 or more gaming PC's here at a time. I can bootcamp on my Macs to game if there was that much of a difference. Or I could simply use my gaming PC. I have no need to lie whatsoever. I'm not locked in to any one computer and there's no computer I have to defend. I can use whatever fits my needs at any given time.

The thing to note about your "example" is those games are not native clients. A 3rd party(feral interactive) attempts to port them to Mac and linux. Like Aspyer does for the civ games. That they ran as well as they did is actually surprising considering they're ports. But you really have to look at games with a native Mac client to accurately compare. It's absolutely ridiculous to compare a 1st party native game on windows to a 3rd party port on Mac.

Last edited:

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
mostly Adobe products, I guess

There's the problem right there. Adobe bloatware is some if the worst performing software on the market today and requires great hardware to be functional. Other alternatives are more performant (Affinity products for example, and are fine for the majority of users) and don't have that restriction. Switching from PS/Illustrator/InDesign to the Affinity suite was the best decision I ever made.

There's a reason Adobe holds you hostage to a yearly payment plan.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
There's the problem right there. Adobe bloatware is some if the worst performing software on the market today and requires great hardware to be functional. Other alternatives are more performant (Affinity products for example, and are fine for the majority of users) and don't have that restriction. Switching from PS/Illustrator/InDesign to the Affinity suite was the best decision I ever made.

There's a reason Adobe holds you hostage to a yearly payment plan.

These smaller competitors don’t perform so well either once you put the apps under heavy load. I tested them hoping they could be faster and wasn’t impressed.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
My experience is my proof as I have witnessed first hand. I know exactly how it works as I've done it. You have not and are clearly ignorant of the situation. But please, keep pretending you know what you're talking about.
I have always had 1 or more gaming PC's here at a time. I can bootcamp on my Macs to game if there was that much of a difference. Or I could simply use my gaming PC. I have no need to lie whatsoever. I'm not locked in to any one computer and there's no computer I have to defend. I can use whatever fits my needs at any given time.

The thing to note about your "example" is those games are not native clients. A 3rd party(feral interactive) attempts to port them to Mac and linux. Like Aspyer does for the civ games. That they ran as well as they did is actually surprising considering they're ports. But you really have to look at games with a native Mac client to accurately compare. It's absolutely ridiculous to compare a 1st party native game on windows to a 3rd party port on Mac.
LoL I was sure you were going respond with that "my experience" nonsense.
No man I'm not ignorant at all, I'm the only one that provided any proof here because there's only proof to support my point of view while all you can do is come with anecdotes but no actual proof.
[doublepost=1556566421][/doublepost]
It might be anecdotal (aside from the many studies that have been run on it over the years, that are now getting a bit old, I suppose), but it certainly isn't pointless. I'm more productive on a Mac, period. That's important to me. Case closed.
You might be more productive on Windows. More power to you. Buy Windows.
Well thank you for totally proving my point.

Last edited:

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
These smaller competitors don’t perform so well either once you put the apps under heavy load. I tested them hoping they could be faster and wasn’t impressed.
Well sure, all software is going to have some issues under heavy load.

Personally, I’d rather have that problem with three apps that cost me $150 than three Adobe apps that cost me $50 a month with a mandatory yearly contract.

For me, the Affinity products do everything and in some cases more than Adobe’s products, plus I like their workflows better. Win-win.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Well sure, all software is going to have some issues under heavy load.

Personally, I’d rather have that problem with three apps that cost me $150 than three Adobe apps that cost me $50 a month with a mandatory yearly contract.

For me, the Affinity products do everything and in some cases more than Adobe’s products, plus I like their workflows better. Win-win.

If you’re running a business on budget it’s an understandable position. Most businesses and freelancers will expense the software. No, Affinity and other small timers don’t offer the depth that Photoshop does. Anyone who claims that is only scratching the surface of the app.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Well thank you for totally proving my point.

Oh, I'm glad we agree, then. I didn't realize your point was the same as mine. Different people are more productive with different systems/OSs/apps, but the overall studies that have been done throughout the years have shown, on the whole, that the Mac platform is more productive and lower TCO.

It is a simple point, really.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't get the choice of which software they get to use. If you aren't on your own, often an employer decides. Sometimes it is certain features, but often it is just to be 100% compatible with what the majority of other businesses are using.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Old thread indeed, but I'll ask here instead of making a new thread. Can you turn the stupid light off on this thing?

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Old thread indeed, but I'll ask here instead of making a new thread. Can you turn the stupid light off on this thing?
Not on Mac. But on Windows you can control the lights. I am not sure if you can turn it off completely though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.