Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Happy MacBook Pro launch day! Apple's new M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pros are now in the hands of customers after what seems like years of waiting for the new machines. We've picked up a 14-inch MacBook Pro and thought we'd share our initial thoughts and first impressions with MacRumors readers.

When it comes to the unboxing experience, there's not a lot new, but Apple did bundle the MacBook Pros with black stickers to match the black keyboard, a departure from the traditional white stickers. There's also a fancy new braided USB-C to MagSafe cable that works with the MagSafe port for fast charging purposes.

macbook-pro-stickers.jpg

Fast charging also works with USB-C too on the 14-inch models, but with this base model that we have here, you need an upgraded power adapter. It comes with a 67W power adapter by default, but you're going to need higher power output to fast charge, aka the 96W power adapter that comes with the higher-end 14-inch machine. If you have the 16-inch MacBook Pro, you'll get a 140W power adapter and you'll need MagSafe for fast charging.

Design wise, the MacBook Pros are reminiscent of the PowerBook G4 with a thicker, heavier design that brings back an HDMI port and an SD card slot alongside the Thunderbolt 4 ports, MagSafe charging port, and upgraded 3.5mm headphone jack (it supports high-impedance headphones). There's no more "MacBook Pro" logo under the display, with Apple instead branding the word into the bottom of the machine.

macbook-pro-1.jpg

The notch stands out a bit at first glance because it's not something people are used to seeing on a MacBook, but within just a few minutes of using the machine, it kind of blends right into the background like it does on the iPhone and you get used to it.

Apple redesigned the keyboard and made it all black with backlit keys, and it looks great. It feels similar to last year's model, but not quite the same because it's a bit quieter and softer, but still great to type on. There is no more Touch Bar, and Apple has instead implemented a full-sized row of function keys and a nice big Escape key that's easy to press. This is a scissor switch keyboard so you shouldn't run into failure problems like the butterfly keyboards used to have.

macbook-pro-4.jpg

The mini-LED display, which supports ProMotion, looks vibrant, crisp, and super bright. It's a definite improvement over prior Intel and M1 Mac models thanks to the display quality and the slimmed down bezels. ProMotion is not as noticeable as it is on the iPhone and the iPad for most tasks, but you can see it when scrolling through websites.

Compared to the M1 MacBook Pro we have on hand, the 14-inch model offers double the multi-core performance and double the GPU performance on benchmarks, and that should translate to notable real world usage gains as well.

Apple said that these MacBook Pros have the best audio systems in a notebook, and that wasn't an exaggeration. The speakers in the new MacBook Pros offer clear, full sound and higher volumes than prior MacBook Pro models. There's no distortion at max volume, and these can replace desktop speakers for those who use them now.

We'll have much more MacBook Pro coverage coming, so make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors. And if you got a new MacBook Pro, let us know what you think in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On Video With the New 14-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
This video and the photos are getting me more excited about the design. It’s chunky at the edges, but that makes it all look truly solid.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This display is different from previous MacBooks. The backlight flickers on & off at 14.8Khz. PWM. Maybe that won’t bug you or maybe it will. Just be aware if you notice weird headaches or eye strain when using this thing. You’ve got 14 days to decide if you want to keep it.

Reactions: ignaciobarrena

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Would like to see in clamshell mode with two monitors export large files and see how the external keyboard with fingertip functions

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Design wise, the MacBook Pros are reminiscent of the PowerBook G4 with a thicker, heavier design
According to Apple's own specifications the new 14-inch MacBook Pro is slightly thinner than the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Respectively 1.55 and 1.56 cm.

Reactions: Rashy

kutenai

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
I ordered a 16" M1 Max with 64GB of memory and 4TB Drive.
It's shipping between November 10-17.

Then, I checked apple store today, and found that I could get the SAME model tomorrow at the Apple Store. I ordered that, and I'll pick it up at 10AM!! I guess I'll need to cancel that other order..

I'm just a little excited right now.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This display is different from previous MacBooks. The backlight flickers on & off at 14.8Khz. PWM. Maybe that won’t bug you or maybe it will. Just be aware if you notice weird headaches or eye strain when using this thing. You’ve got 14 days to decide if you want to keep it.

While it is worse than older MacBook models, it is significantly higher frequency than the current line of iPhones which are around 240hz PWM...so most likely if you are fine with the OLED iPhones, then you will be fine with the MiniLED.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I ordered a 16" M1 Max with 64GB of memory and 4TB Drive.
It's shipping between November 10-17.

Then, I checked apple store today, and found that I could get the SAME model tomorrow at the Apple Store. I ordered that, and I'll pick it up at 10AM!! I guess I'll need to cancel that other order..

I'm just a little excited right now.

Congratulations. That was lucky.

I wouldn't cancel the original order until you have the store one in hand. You can always get the dreaded "we're sorry" message that they couldn't actually get that config in store by tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much about that scenario but still, nothing wrong with waiting a day to see. Once in hand, cancel the original and live happily ever after.

Last edited:

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
curious about the 14" physical size compared to 2015 15" since that's my likeliest upgrade path. I think the chonk factor is more in styling that in numbers since the new 14" would be smaller and lighter with a shockingly similar screen size. Still can't get over the notch and the keyboard though

DummyFool

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2020
The top is flat but the sides and bottom looks rounded. To me it does not look harmonious. Would have much preferred flat everywhere giving it a boxy design yes but the Razer Blades are boxy and beautiful.

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
2015 15" guy here too. Wonder how the 14" compares. I found this comparison with the 16" only.

FCpm2IuXsAQ8l_C.jpg

Notch = Failure in All Three.. :cool:
Seriously, it's getting tiresome. Get an Air then.
This Notch 'failure' enables us a 1080p webcam + additional screen space left and right (+74px). Rather than having a useless bezel or nose-cam. Use a black menu bar and it will never bother you again.

Last edited:

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
While it is worse than older MacBook models, it is significantly higher frequency than the current line of iPhones which are around 240hz PWM...so most likely if you are fine with the OLED iPhones, then you will be fine with the MiniLED.
The 13 Pro and 13 PM are 480 Hz.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I would like to see a direct size comparison of the 15inch retina to the 14inch MBP. I can imagine a lot of people are considering replacing their 15" with a 14" model instead of going for a 16". Does anybody have a link to such a comparison?
That’s what I would like to see too, especially since we can get the same internals on the 14 inch now

Reactions: loby

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
F Keys... from the 1970s and Windows. Meh.

They could have at least come up with something different - OLED or E-INK keys?
Perhaps some kind of bar-shaped multifunctional display and input device that you could touch. But what would they call it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.