Hands-On With the New 2018 12.9-Inch iPad Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today is the official launch day for the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, and we got our hands on one of the new larger versions along with a Smart Keyboard Folio and an Apple Pencil 2, the new accessories that go along with the updated tablet.

Check out our latest YouTube video for an unboxing and feature overview of the new device, which has been radically overhauled compared to the previous-generation model.

Apple's new iPad Pro models feature an entirely new design with a near edge-to-edge display that replaces the Touch ID Home button with a TrueDepth camera system and Face ID for authentication purposes.

The all-screen design is, unsurprisingly, gorgeous, especially when paired with True Tone, ProMotion for 120Hz refresh, and wide color support for vivid, true-to-life colors.

[​IMG]

Design wise, the iPad Pro models no longer use smooth, rounded edges that taper into the back of the tablet, instead featuring a flat, more industrial band around the sides that's reminiscent of the iPhone 5.

[​IMG]

The 11-inch model is the same size as the 10.5-inch model just with a bigger display, but for the 12.9-inch model, Apple kept the 12.9-inch display and shrunk the body size, so it's smaller and more compact, and easier to hold.

There's a new USB-C port that replaces the Lightning port, so you can plug in all manner of things, like 4K displays, cameras, and even your iPhone. Over USB-C, the iPhone can charge from the iPad Pro, much like it would from a Mac.

Face ID on the new iPad Pro works great, and unlike the iPhone, it can unlock the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. You need to be careful not to cover up the sensor with a hand when using it in landscape mode, but it's otherwise pretty flawless.

[​IMG]

The A12X in the iPad Pro is super speedy and faster than many notebooks on the market, but there's one thing to be aware of. All 64, 256, and 512GB iPad Pro models feature 4GB RAM, while the 1TB models have 6GB. It's not yet entirely clear why the higher-capacity models have more RAM, but it's worth noting if you're aiming for maximum performance.

Apple designed two accessories to go with the iPad Pro: the Apple Pencil 2 and the Smart Keyboard Folio. If you like to sketch and draw, the Apple Pencil 2 is a must have. It's smaller than the original and it charges and syncs when you connect it to the iPad Pro using magnets.

[​IMG]

The Smart Keyboard Folio feels similar to the previous-generation Smart Keyboard with the same general key feel, but the folio style is nice because it offers all-around device protection.

[​IMG]

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro isn't going to be for everyone because of its size, but it offers maximum display for making art, gaming, and other purposes. For those who think the 12.9-inch model is just a bit too big, the 11-inch iPad Pro is a great compromise, offering a lot more screen real estate than the previous 10.5-inch model.

Unfortunately, neither of these two new iPads is cheap, which is the biggest negative. The 11-inch model starts at $799 for the 64GB version, while the 64GB 12.9-inch model starts at $999.

Did you get a new 2018 iPad Pro? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New 2018 12.9-Inch iPad Pro

2. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

3. joeblough macrumors regular

here's a dumb question. i just got one of these, and it came with a USB-C to USB-C cable and a charger. if i want to back it up to a computer that only has usb 2.0 / usb 3.0, what cable do i need? apple doesn't seem to sell something with a male USB connector and male USB-C connector. not that i would have to buy it from apple but you'd think they would sell it if it exists.

4. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Like this guy?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...41632395&sr=8-3-acs&keywords=usb+c+to+usb+3.0

Amazon Basics are some of the best cables I have used.

5. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I sync from a 2014 Mac Mini so have had to purchase these from Amazon -

USB 3.0 to USB-C Adapter, USB A 3.0 (male) Convert to USB Type C (female) Adapter for PC Laptop Samsung S9 iPhone X and more (Pack of 2, Aluminum)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075NBMWXQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. cmaier macrumors G4

7. ummario macrumors newbie

I've been in a store right now and I'm really impressed with the new iPad. Is really a incredible device. But if you buy the 256 Gb wi-fi + cellular (the one I want) costs 1469€ + 219€ for the Smart Keyboard + 135 € for the Pencil totals 1823€. That's a lot for an iPad Only. If Apple could allow us to use a mice would be a great laptop substitute, and I would buy it right away, but as touch only, doesn't seem reasonable this price.

But only complaint is unfortunately price, because the new iPad looks amazing.

8. Graphikos macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to swing by the Apple Store tonight and see if they have them on display. I'm not really in the market for one but it looks like a gorgeous device.

9. joeblough macrumors regular

thanks much, that stuff looks like exactly what i need.

10. dumoore macrumors member

With Adobe Photoshop coming fully onto the iPad and those crazy benchmarks, this is going to open the flood gates for more professional apps coming to apple. The only thing that can speed things up and really truly make this a laptop killer for non-professionals, is if Apple loosened up some more of the restrictions on iOS.

11. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I just finished getting my 11” 512GB set up. I am a long time iPad user, and this definitely the best of the best.

iPad 1
    iPad 2
    iPad 3
    iPad mini
    iPad mini 2 (x2)
    iPad mini 3
    iPad mini 4 (x2)
    iPad Pro 12.9”
    iPad Pro 10.5”
    iPad Pro 11”

12. ttNB macrumors 6502

ttNB

The kids have the Nintendo switch, I just used that cable to hook up to my 2015 MBP.
    Got the 11” SG 256, coming from the Pro 9.7, decent upgrade I must say.:cool:

13. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Went to the store to check out the new 12.9" today. Still a little too heavy to use one handed. I'll be going for the 11". On another note, the industrial design is fantastic. Feels like a solid slab of metal and glass. Reminds of the slate used for pool tables only much lighter.

14. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

15. brees macrumors newbie

I know the Camera isn't a big feature here but geninunely curious if the rear facing camera can do the depth/ bokeh effect in real time the same way you can with an iphone xs. That could be cool.

16. Brainjax44 macrumors newbie

I don’t get why no one is commenting how stupid it was for Apple to design the last smart keyboard with the felt-side-down when typing. You know, the part that covers the screen when closed? That thing picked up so much dust and debris that then scratched up your screen, it’s ridiculous the designer got away with it. This is a huge step up.

17. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

No they don’t, which is a gross oversight on their part. You can get a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cable from Anker - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GN0M6NE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dy34BbXZYMBDT

18. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Tempted I cannot lie...but for all the new form factor feel, unless you go basic spec it's still a psychological barrier to buy an iPad when you can buy the new MBA for similar price.

19. gugy macrumors 68030

I would definitely get one to replace my 12.9 Pro but these latest Apple prices are going to make me wait for down the road promotions. The keyboard and pencil look great. Man... too much $.

20. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

Step back, thinner display compared to 10.5 and bezels are thicker on sides than 10.5
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    All this power and still ios its just a big iphone nothing amazing

21. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I think it's beautiful. A little bit cheaper and a headphone jack and I'd probably have bought one.

I love the flat/square edges, reminds me of the original iPad, only without the bulging back.

22. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Looks like a real computer. Costs like one too. But ... isn’t. And the little boy asked “Daddy, why.” And his father sighed and replied ... “Son, sometimes people get sidetracked and get stuff cos it’s ‘new’ not for any other reason”

23. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

Ordered my 12.9 I pad pro with 1 TB suppose to arrive on 11/21/2018 Super stoked hoping it will fit my book book case from twelve South from my previous 12.9 I pad pro had to settle for dark grey was hoping they would release more colors Gold would have mad this complete for my taste

24. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Went to the Apple Store today to see it. I was quite impressed.

25. rlhamil macrumors regular

rlhamil

I can think of a couple of reasons: a larger filesystem will be perform better with more RAM to cache pages (esp. since it's best to minimize and coalesce writes on flash); and a model with significantly more storage may be used to work with larger files, and the apps will tend to want more RAM for that.

Imagine a person (not actually handicapped) that had bodybuilder arms and stick legs. Yeah, they could do a lot of pull-ups or bench presses, but there's a lot they couldn't do well like that. Even if one particular feature is most important to your needs, you're better off with a balanced system.