Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a three-year wait, the second-generation AirPods Pro earbuds are finally here, arriving in the hands of customers as of today. We picked up a the AirPods Pro 2 and thought we'd check them out to give MacRumors readers an overview of all the new features.

Design wise, the AirPods Pro look almost identical to the original AirPods Pro, but there are some changes with the charging case that you'll notice. It's got a little hole for a lanyard, but note that Apple isn't selling its own lanyard - you'll need a third party solution from a company like Incase.

airpods-pro-2-comp-cases.jpg

The MagSafe Charging Case also has speakers at the bottom to play a sound when lost, and it integrates with the Find My app so you can find the case AND the AirPods individually. There's a U1 chip for Precision Finding too, in case it's lost close by and you need to track it down.

airpods-pro-2-precision-finding.jpg

You can charge the AirPods Pro 2 with Lightning or with MagSafe chargers, and as a bonus, Apple even added support for the Apple Watch charger. So you can basically charge with whatever you've got lying around.

Apple redesigned the internals of the AirPods Pro and there's a new H2 chip and all new audio components. Fit is about the same and still just as comfortable, but you now have XS tips to choose from in addition to S, M, and L.

With the H2 chip, Apple says the AirPods Pro can cancel up to twice as much noise. It's not super noticeable right off the bat, but get into some noisy environments with heavy traffic, construction, or the hum of an airplane, and you'll hear an improvement.

airpods-pro-2-counter.jpg

Adaptive Transparency builds on the original Transparency Mode and is also enabled by the H2 chip. It cuts down on loud noises like sirens or power tools while leaving everything else around audible, and it works well. Apple has always had the edge on Transparency Mode compared to other earbud manufacturers, and that's still true.

Apple added a new driver and amplifier to the AirPods Pro for richer bass and clear sound even at high volume levels. We didn't notice a huge difference between the original AirPods Pro and the new model, but the sound is warmer, and there's definitely improved range at the low-end with more bass.

You can still use all the same button presses you used with the prior AirPods Pro for swapping songs, but Apple also added a touch control for adjusting volume without having to access your device, which is a useful addition.

airpods-pro-2-comp-open.jpg

Battery life is also improved with up to six hours of listening time and 30 hours total with the case. We haven't had time to do a lot of testing with battery life, but that's what Apple's estimates put it at thanks to the H2 chip.

So are these worth the upgrade? The answer is yes if your 2019 model is starting to show signs of issues with battery life or if you want to get access to improved ANC. AirPods Pro continue to be some of the best earbuds on the market and are worth picking up.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New AirPods Pro 2

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Love how the battery indicator is always on phone due to U1 (edit: not sure if it’s due to U1, but anyway). Wasn’t aware this was a feature until I got mine this afternoon. Never leave house with a low charge now.

Volume control is great to have but a bit fiddly I find, medium sized fingers here. Can only imagine the struggle for people with big ears and big hands, heheh.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You can charge the AirPods Pro 2 with Lightning or with MagSafe chargers, and as a bonus, Apple even added support for the Apple Watch charger. So you can basically charge with whatever you've got lying around.

Except the USB-C cable from your iPad Air or iPad Pro or M1 MacBook Air :p

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
Ugh... Lighting charger. this is going to be a mess when USBC is finally added to the phone. Wireless charging has been a godsend when traveling but I can't charge items while on the go with a wireless charging puck.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
It's not super noticeable right off the bat, but get into some noisy environments with heavy traffic, construction, or the hum of an airplane, and you'll hear an improvement.
So, MacRumors staff have already tested the new AirPods Pro in these situations -- in heavy traffic, in construction zones, and on airline flights? Or is this just what Apple's marketing says?

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
Love how the battery indicator is always on phone due to U1.

Sorry for the possibly daft question here but can you elaborate on this? Where abouts is it shown and and is it the case or the AirPods themselves?

Reactions: yegon

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Sorry for the possibly daft question here but can you elaborate on this? Where abouts is it shown and and is it the case or the AirPods themselves?
It’s in the battery widget on your phone. AirPods Max has always had this (assuming you’re in their vicinity of course), I put that down to the APM being always on.

As per og post, I assumed it was down to the U1 chip, but since remembered AirPods Max don’t have a U1 chip.

Still, the feature is handy.

Reactions: NARadyk

young_dimm

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
That seems more like a notification for mismatched generations of AirPods. What happens if you put in both AirPods of the same generation?
New case + old headphones: orange led stays blinking in a loop.
Old case + new headphones: same “Mismatched AirPods” information

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
It’s in the battery widget on your phone. AirPods Max has always had this (assuming you’re in their vicinity of course), I put that down to the APM being always on.

As per og post, I assumed it was down to the U1 chip, but since remembered AirPods Max don’t have a U1 chip.

Still, the feature is handy.

Ah right! Didn’t notice this myself. Many thanks for pointing that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.