Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It looks terrible. There's nothing natural about it at all. All it does is show where machine learning's limits are in 2018 (in photographic context). They shouldn't have bothered.

Reactions: Marekul

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Real optical bokeh is extremely difficult to fake digitally, as can be plainly seen in the last photo of the cat at f/1.4.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
hi guys, i am seeing a huge amount of noise in portrait photos compared to normal shots. is it normal? :(

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I thought it was standard on most phones over the past couple of years. My Huawei Honor 9 has had it from day one, looks fantastic with various background effects as well as blurring and costs £1000 less so what’s the all the fuss? Oh. My apologies. Theres been a recent iPhone release hasn’t there? Still though.The Apple branding has swung it - pass me my credit card will you?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Snicker? Is that the same as snigger (as in to giggle)? Does that mean a Snickers bar could have been called a Giggle bar?

ctrl-cmd-d

dmfkKVF.png

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I like the direction they are going. Faking it with software and an understanding of physics, to get around the hardware and miniaturization limitations. That's cool. But hair still sucks, it looks wrong because it looks off somehow. The "Uncanny valley" or blurs if you will. That's a problem, given we are mammals and a lot of our pets are mammals. Mammals traditionally have hair. Thats going to take some work to get right.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
had a look in the apple store today - it looks like its just horizontally blurring the background by an increasing amount as you move the slider. Maybe thats just for the realtime preview and saving it renders a better version? Was a bit odd looking

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
I guess all my foto-equipment is safe for at least another year. That F/1.4 picture looks horrendous.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Thats not why people are complaining about it, it is because it is taking photos that defy the laws of physics with respect to depth perception.

Take and post an image of a ruler or row of dominoes or similar at say 60 degrees to the image and apply blur.

Thank you for making my point with respect to some not understanding Apple's iPhone customer base.

Also...

It appears you are not aware that making photographs routinely defies physics with respect to human perception of reality. Shoot a roll of Tri-X and make some B&W prints. Ditto with a digital camera, convert to B&W, and make some prints. Unless you are 100% color blind, that is not reality and essentially defies physics with respect to human perception.

Or, shoot that same ruler or row of dominos close up with a (d)SLR and 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open, make a print, and tell me that razor-thin shallow DOF is what you actually see looking at that ruler or row of dominos.

How about the idea of shooting a three dimensional scene and then transforming that to a two dimensional print? That's fake, an abstraction.

Photography has never been about reality, thus defying the "laws of physics." And thank god for that. Otherwise the world would be full of boring ho-hum photographs made by engineers with the mind set that physics and reality should never be f'd with.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This will be fine for some photos and not for others. The effect can look really fake/cheesy but hopefully people will realize when they should/shouldn't use it.

The iPhone will be my wife's primary camera, and this is a nice addition.
I've seen it work really well for certain pictures.

Though, I am wondering if this year it is more of a software push than hardware as it seems previous versions of the dual lens setup had a slightly better effect.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Thank you for making my point with respect to some not understanding Apple's iPhone customer base.
Really? I don't see a reason for that.
Also...

It appears you are not aware that making photographs routinely defies physics with respect to human perception of reality.
I am well aware of that.
Shoot a roll of Tri-X and make some B&W prints. Ditto with a digital camera, convert to B&W, and make some prints. Unless you are 100% color blind, that is not reality and essentially defy's physics with respect to human perception.
I completely agree with you.
Or, shoot that same ruler or row of dominos close up with a (d)SLR and 50mm f/1.4 lens wide open, make a print, and tell me that razor-thin shallow DOF is what you actually see looking at that ruler or row of dominos.
Again no disagreement there.
How about the idea of shooting a three dimensional scene and then transforming that to a two dimensional print? That's fake, an abstraction.
Its not fake.
Photography has never been about reality,
Photography is of course about reality, it captures events for future generations to see, just because you can make photos of a certain style like with the iPhones mandatory beauty mode that you can't turn off doesn't mean you can't capture reality.
thus defying the "laws of physics."

You missed the point entirely. Bokeh on a camera has a depth of field, which means that what you see conveys that depth, you can be as artistic as you like but the eye can still make out what goes where in the picture.

With the iPhone however, it is mostly just one flat blur with no depth perception. So looks odd.

If the iPhone is to do a blur that looks more natural, it is most likely going to have to add a second (probably same focal length) lens to get that depth information or take lots of photos in succession at different focal lengths.

You might be convinced by fake blur, but don't expect others to agree with you.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How is this any different from what Focos already does on the X?

It's built in and accessible to all iPhone XS and XS Max users. So basically millions more can make use of it without the need to download and launch a separate app. They can launch and access it right from the lock screen and it launches faster.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So that portrait mode bokeh editing is limited to A12 Bionic? Why?
I can do this perfectly and even much more professional on my iPhone X by using the Focos App :rolleyes:

View attachment 789459

I created a short video to show you precisely what I mean:
https://streamable.com/zt80f

You can even refocus after the picture has been done.
If you remember Lytro, you know how magic that is.

That all runs on the iPhone X using iOS 11.
And with iOS 12, even more details like hair is recognized.
So why the huge applause at the Apple Event?

Does the app do it with live preview?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It's built in and accessible to all iPhone XS and XS Max users. So basically millions more can make use of it without the need to download and launch a separate app. They can launch and access it right from the lock screen and it launches faster.

Are you seriously suggesting that requiring the user to buy a $1000+ phone is an improvement in accessibility over requiring the user to install an app?

Reactions: Marekul

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Really? I don't see a reason for that.

I am well aware of that.

I completely agree with you.

Again no disagreement there.

Its not fake.

Photography is of course about reality, it captures events for future generations to see, just because you can make photos of a certain style like with the iPhones mandatory beauty mode that you can't turn off doesn't mean you can't capture reality.

You missed the point entirely. Bokeh on a camera has a depth of field, which means that what you see conveys that depth, you can be as artistic as you like but the eye can still make out what goes where in the picture.

With the iPhone however, it is mostly just one flat blur with no depth perception. So looks odd.

If the iPhone is to do a blur that looks more natural, it is most likely going to have to add a second (probably same focal length) lens to get that depth information or take lots of photos in succession at different focal lengths.

You might be convinced by fake blur, but don't expect others to agree with you.

It's funny that you cling to the notion that simulated bokeh is not real, yet simultaneously reject that a two-dimensional photographic print representation of a three dimensional space is similarly not real.

Try as I might, I have personally yet to see a ruler up close or a line of dominos that resembles a print made from my camera and wide aperture lens and resulting shallow DOF. Maybe your eyes' apertures are abnormally huge, like some forrest creature at night.

With regard to photography being real or not, you may want to study the history of photography a bit.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Are you seriously suggesting that requiring the user to buy a $1000+ phone is an improvement in accessibility over requiring the user to install an app?

Not at all. I'm simply saying that anyone with a new phone has a number of advantages over someone with the 3rd party app.

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
I'm a serious photographer, and I don't snicker at it. Nobody is saying it's a replacement for a nice wide lens, but it definitely does an acceptable job - and at times can look excellent.

For someone who's a "serious photographer", you should know that its not trying to mimic a wide lens, but a portrait lens (medium telephoto with f/1.4 or 1.7).

Also, judging from the cat photo, it's obviously faking it really badly at f/1.4 - with the background that close, even a pro lens will not produce such unnatural looking blur.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
For someone who's a "serious photographer", you should know that its not trying to mimic a wide lens, but a portrait lens (medium telephoto with f/1.4 or 1.7).

Also, judging from the cat photo, it's obviously faking it really badly at f/1.4 - with the background that close, even a pro lens will not produce such unnatural looking blur.

I was referring to a wide-aperture lens, not a landscape-lens.

And yes, I agree that cat photo was a terrible choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.