Hands-On With the New LTE-Enabled Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the new LTE Series 3 Apple Watches now out in the wild, we got our hands on one of the new devices to give MacRumors readers a closer look at its design, features, and improvements compared to previous-generation Apple Watch models.

In the video below, we took a look at one of the new 42mm Aluminum Sport models connected to the AT&T network.

Design wise, the new Apple Watch LTE models are almost identical to the Series 2 models, with the exception of a 0.25mm thicker back glass that houses the heart rate sensors and the glaringly red Digital Crown that denotes its LTE status.

That red Digital Crown definitely stands out, and it's kind of a love it or hate it aspect of the new Apple Watch.

Inside, the Apple Watch Series 3 is sporting an upgraded S3 processor, and this thing is fast. It's noticeably quicker than the Series 2 Apple Watch and if you're coming from a Series 0 or a Series 1, you're going to see some serious speed gains.

Quite a few new LTE Apple Watch owners have been running into activation issues trying to get their new devices set up, but we had no problems getting it connected to the AT&T network and up and running. When using cellular, it's going to drain a decent amount of battery, so while this watch can work without an iPhone, you're still going to want one around at least some of the time.

The Series 3 Apple Watch can be purchased from the online Apple Store and Apple retail stores around the world starting today. There are both LTE and non-LTE models available, with LTE models starting at $399 and non-LTE models starting at $329. LTE models are largely sold out and harder to come by, so you may need to wait a few weeks to get your hands on one.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New LTE-Enabled Apple Watch Series 3

2. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I want.

But my damn Original Apple Watch keeps working flawlessly!

3. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

The red dot sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyone else hopes it gets removed for Series 4?

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Really happy with mine so far, minus the issues with ATT at first. Coming from a series 0 the speed improvements on this device are worth the upgrade alone. Provided the WIFI / GPS version is equally fast, I say it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Cellular signal has been good in my use, and calls I have made have been done without others noticing anything. In fact, people were amazed (as they were with my Series 0) that I was talking to them on a watch.

Siri being able to respond back via voice is a MUCH appreciated upgrade now too!

5. Macalway macrumors 68030

Sore thumb :D. Good.

But seriously, Sharpie?

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

So is mine! I can't fathom, not even one need to have a watch with LTE, I always have my phone with me.

7. bjjp2 macrumors regular

Red dot’s a dealbreaker for me.

Same

No desire to upgrade from my Series 2.

8. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

I returned my Series 3 with LTE and just got the Gps. Much happier. Upgraded from series 1, and its so much faster.

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I love the red dot and might find a sticker to replicate it. I know I know...many of you don't like it.

10. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Deal unbroken.

11. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Exactly, I had series 1, then got a series 2 (works amazing, especially with iOS 11), and I am like 1st GEN LTE? a nah, I'll wait for series 4, and be really happy!

12. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

my grandfather always told me - only 3 types of watches. Disposable, Dress and the ones you buy to leave your grandkids.

A $399 chunky gadget watch made in Taiwan is non of those. well, unless you the kind of person who thinks coca-cola is a dinner drink.

13. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

If you were a runner you wouldn't say that. Carrying your phone when you run is an encumberment no matter how you look at it. For anyone who exercises will appreciate the LTE, and that's a huge segment of the population. Apple knows what they are doing and who they are targeting with this device. It's NOT aimed at the dodo that wants to talk to his/her wrist, it's aimed to move the needle in fitness wearable market and take on the competition. e.g. Garmin.

14. bluespark macrumors 68000

For sure. While it might work for a sport watch, those of us who went with stainless steel, Hermes, etc. or who want to wear the Apple Watch in a boardroom-type situation simply couldn't do so with the red dot. And for those suggesting a Sharpie, that's not exactly the ideal solution with a nice watch. The red dot is an abomination and must be destroyed.

15. tromboneaholic, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The Series 1 and Series 2 share the same processor. Why does this article imply otherwise?

Series 1 owners will see the same non-specified, opinion-based “serious speed gains” as Series 2 owners making the switch.

I understand CNET confusing Series 1 as a first-gen product, but it’s inexcusable here...

16. richsw macrumors member

I know what you mean about the red dot. I would never buy a Leica camera because they have a big red dot.

17. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Sharpie, enamel paint, vinyl sticker . . . So many possibilities.

Send me your watch and for $100 I guarantee you’ll never see red again!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Speaking just for myself, I’ve been in a lot of boardrooms. And I care much more about what you say than what you wear.

18. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I’m sure he would’ve thought spending hundreds on a phone is crazy, too. Times change, and wristwatches themselves have only been around a hundred years, and they were initially looked down on by pocket watch wearers.

19. Fousthvk macrumors newbie

Fousthvk

Yeah mine wasn't on watchOS4 and after having the S3 there is no way I will likely wear my SS S0

20. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Coca-cola is never an advisable drink. Wine is for dinner - except for those times when beer is called for. But I really like my apple watch.

BTW: the watches are made in China, if I'm not mistaken.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Totally agree with you. The only problem is that the apple watch really isn't a very good running watch. GPS accuracy is substandard, feature set is limited, and pace smoothing is just awful. I really want apple to make an apple watch that can replace my garmin... but it's just not there yet. (that said, Garmin REALLY needs to offer on-board music storage... like yesterday.)

22. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

The real question is why do you always have your phone with you? If you could still have the functionality of the phone, without having to take it everywhere, do you really not see at least some opportunities for leaving it behind?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Why? You didn't even give it a day. Curious as to what you didn't like about it that fast.

23. GetSwole37 macrumors member

Nailed it. As much as I think it's a perfect watch now for running, if you are a runner, you aren't going to replace your garmin with an Apple Watch.

24. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

In a boardroom? Unless you are at a tech company I assure you the red dot won't be the reason your watch is sticking out like a sore thumb.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn’t as if you stare at the side of the crown. Apple does tinker with colors, though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it changes in Series 4.