Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with the latest M2 Pro and M2 Max chips are available in Apple retail stores and are already in the hands of customers, and we picked up one of the new M2 Max machines to answer all of the questions MacRumors readers considering a purchase might have.

Yesterday, we asked MacRumors fans on Twitter what they wanted to know about the new M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro machines, and we got all kinds of questions about whether it's worth the upgrade, how the SSD performs, what RAM choices might be best based on usage needs, how hot it runs, and more.

MacRumors videographer Dan answers all of those questions and more in the video up above, so make sure to watch it. Have another question we didn't cover? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New M2 Max MacBook Pro

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Thanks for this informative video, especially dealing with the SSD speed issue between the different models, so customers can buy the right one that they are happy with! Glad you were using the 1TB model, which do not exhibit the SSD slower issue that the 512GB MacBook Pro M2 Pro and 512GB MacBook Max M2 Max models seem to have.

This video may help explain the SSD speed issue for many MacBook Pro M2 Pro models. Very informative. He expresses the frustration that Pros and Creators feel with this nand SSD speed issue in a lighthearted video:

The MacBook M2 Pro SSD Downgrade/Issue? - I'm Frustrated:

Last edited:

IncreasinglyFrustrated

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
So tempted, but I need my Intel VM for things that have no ARM equivalent.

I ran into the same issue. Bought the M2 Max 12/38/96GB (just arrived this morning, woot!) and a 13900K/4090/256GB windows box (arrived 2 days ago). I added a monitor emulator to the win box, stuffed it in the closet, and now I can connect to it via Moonlight. Feels like the world's best version of VMWare.

Both machines together came out considerably less than what I paid for my iMac Pro 5 years ago.

HorstBockman

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2022
I wish Apple would stop with the honking big trackpads they put in the 16" MBP. The heel of my right hand frequently touches accidentally and throws off the pointer, both because of the huge size and it not being centered on the home keys. The trackpad in the 14" model is at least an inch narrower.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The notch is the same as last year. There are no design changes.
I got my 16" MacBook Pro today and the first impressions are very positive. Coming from a 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro there is a big difference in display size and overall volume of the device. If you want mobility then I would suggest you get the 14". If you mostly use your MacBook Pro at one place and don't move around all the time, then the 16" is definitely the better choice.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

New 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with the latest M2 Pro and M2 Max chips are available in Apple retail stores and are already in the hands of customers, and we picked up one of the new M2 Max machines to answer all of the questions MacRumors readers considering a purchase might have.

Yesterday, we asked MacRumors fans on Twitter what they wanted to know about the new M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro machines, and we got all kinds of questions about whether it's worth the upgrade, how the SSD performs, what RAM choices might be best based on usage needs, how hot it runs, and more.

MacRumors videographer Dan answers all of those questions and more in the video up above, so make sure to watch it. Have another question we didn't cover? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New M2 Max MacBook Pro
You are saying in the video that Wifi6E isn't noticeable. What I can speak of is my experience. I don't have Wifi6E but with all my other devices I get around 500Mbps/s when connected to my WiFi network (including my M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro). With the M2 Max MacBook Pro I got sustained 900Mbps. This is a big improvement for me and you can call me impressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.