Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple at WWDC introduced a new version of tvOS, the software that's designed to run on the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS updates are often more minor in scale than iOS, watchOS, and macOS updates, but tvOS 14 has some useful new features.

Apple in tvOS 13 introduced a Picture in Picture option for the Apple TV app that allowed TV and movie content from the app to be watched while doing other things on the Apple TV, and in tvOS 14, that functionality is expanding.

Picture in Picture now works across tvOS, but it's worth noting that third-party apps need to implement support so apps like YouTube don't work with the feature at the current time.

AirPlay works with Picture in Picture so you can AirPlay video content from iOS apps like YouTube, Disney+, and more to the Apple TV and then watch them in windowed mode while you play a game or use a workout app.

Speaking of YouTube, the YouTube app in tvOS 14 will support 4K video streaming for the first time, allowing for higher-resolution content to be viewed. YouTube presumably needs to implement support, so the feature isn't functional as of yet. The Apple TV also supports sharing and viewing 4K videos taken with the iPhone.

With Audio Sharing for the AirPods, two people can connect their AirPods to the Apple TV to watch a TV show or movie without bothering the other people in the room.

tvOS 14 introduces support for multi-user gaming for Apple Arcade, so when you swap profiles, the TV will keep track of each person's levels, leaderboards, and more. Apple also added support for the Xbox Elite 2 Wireless Controller and the Xbox Adaptive Controller.

In tvOS 14, you can choose a specific screensaver group like ocean, space, or cities rather than having tvOS choose randomly, and there's a whole new HomeKit feature for the Control Center.

If you use the remote to navigate to the Control Center and tap on the Home app icon you can see your HomeKit accessories and access scenes. This view also includes camera feeds from HomeKit connected cameras, so you can watch your home security video in full screen on the TV or in Picture in Picture mode.

The Apple TV can even let you know when someone is at the door if you have a HomeKit-connected video doorbell, popping up the video when someone rings the bell.

tvOS 14 is available for developers and, as of today, public beta testers. It will see a few months of testing before Apple releases it to the public in the fall.

Article Link: Hands-On With tvOS 14: Picture in Picture, 4K YouTube, HomeKit and More

Last edited:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Speaking of YouTube, the YouTube app in tvOS 14 will support 4K video streaming for the first time, allowing for higher-resolution content to be viewed. YouTube presumably needs to implement support, so the feature isn't functional as of yet. The Apple TV also supports sharing and viewing 4K videos taken with the iPhone.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think this would strictly be 4K VP9 Decoding, correct ?

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I’m most interested in seeing the video feeds from my security system. This had been a long overdue feature.
[automerge]1594324664[/automerge]
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think this would strictly be 4K VP9 Decoding, correct ?

should be. Since that is what Google broadcasts 4K in.

Reactions: chrixxa

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Some YouTube videos are starting to have AV1 option for <=1080p but for >=1440p they automatically switch to VP9. Best way to find out is turn on 'stats for nerds' in YouTube to show video and audio codecs but my guess is VP9 hardware decoding was always present on recent devices but gimped by software as is also the case with recent Intel and AMD GPU based products.

Reactions: BulkSlash

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Some YouTube videos are starting to have AV1 option for <=1080p but for >=1440p they automatically switch to VP9. Best way to find out is turn on 'stats for nerds' in YouTube to show video and audio codecs but my guess is VP9 hardware decoding was always present on recent devices but gimped by software as is also the case with recent Intel and AMD GPU based products.

Here’s hoping iPhones & iPads get 1440p HDR 120Hz support.

Reactions: nol2001

swrobel

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2014
The ‌Apple TV‌ also supports sharing and viewing 4K videos taken with the iPhone.
I’m pretty sure this was the only supported way to airplay 4K content on previous versions of tvOS so I don’t think this is new...

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
I bought an Apple TV 4th generation, and found that Siri Remote and the User Interface such a bloomin' mess, than I activated my free one-year Apple TV Plus subscription , then promptly went back to my Apple TV 3 (where the Plus subscription works without any problem) and the aluminum remote. Sorry, folks. That remote and that interface needs to be totally renovated -- I don't care how much TVos releases there are; until Apple fixes those 2 mess-takes, I'll stick with Apple TV 3.

You know what? Watching a TV show shouldn't be a complicated run-around fiasco that ends up with you throwing the remote across the room.

PaulpBenitti

Suspended
Jul 1, 2020
I’m most interested in seeing the video feeds from my security system. This had been a long overdue feature.
Meh. Fairly overrated if you ask me. I have an actual NVR system and the ability to see feeds on my Mac, iPhone, iPad...or on any TV the NVR unit is connected to. But I never use it that way.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'm watching TV and this would make more sense.

For example, if my Ring goes off, I get an alert on my Watch or on my iPhone. The first thing I'm going to do when I see that alert is tap it and go to the video.

I haven't seen what the tvOS implementation looks like but, if there are motion notifications on the TV that you can click to go to video... it's not like I watch TV with the remote in my hand. There would never be a scenario where I would reach for the remote to try and snag the notification on the TV, to try and see the video. I'd always go for my iPhone and just jump right into it in less than a second.

And it's not like I'm going to spend any time watching security footage on my TV.

I think this bases are covered already and this a nice feature but largely unnecessary at this point..

Reactions: chrixxa

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
whyyyyy havent they gotten rid of the log in screens where you have to go to the networks website and put in a code...what happened to that and why hasn't it been done yet?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
So, does this do the Dolby 5.1 sound for the Airpod Pros? I got the beta on my AppleTV, but there doesn't seem to be anything that has that feature...unless it's not out yet.

Also put in iPadOS 14 on my iPad, and again, don't see anything doing the Spacial Surround features of Airpod Pros. Unless that's not out yet.

dan71

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
No sign of the spattial sound for the Air Pod Pros? That is the feature I am looking forward to the most.
Same here, as we speak, I see only spatial audio with iPhone and iPad and do not know why it couldn't work on Apple TV4K...
Regards

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
All well & good, but does it still have the issue of connecting AirPods and then not being able to control the volume with the remote when a show starts?

Been broken since tvOS 13.0.

Or the funky Unwatched list in Computer? Fixed? Not fixed? Better? Worse? Number 1? Or number 2?

Never mind. Going ahead and install 14 on one of my ATVs to see for myself. Can’t possibly be more frustrating than it is already.

Can it?

Update: Oh, look! The ability to connect AirPods using long press of the Play button is gone.

Thanks, Apple!

But the fixed the Unwatched list! \o/

Last edited:
Reactions: eperitus

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
I bought an Apple TV 4th generation, and found that Siri Remote and the User Interface such a bloomin' mess, than I activated my free one-year Apple TV Plus subscription , then promptly went back to my Apple TV 3 (where the Plus subscription works without any problem) and the aluminum remote. Sorry, folks. That remote and that interface needs to be totally renovated -- I don't care how much TVos releases there are; until Apple fixes those 2 mess-takes, I'll stick with Apple TV 3.

You know what? Watching a TV show shouldn't be a complicated run-around fiasco that ends up with you throwing the remote across the room.

I much prefer the new touch remote. After a small learning curve it feels great to use. Swiping is a pleasure. Slap a silicone case on it and the ergonomics are almost perfect.

My only wish Is that it had a way to mute. Lol.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017

I miss the simplicity of the ATV 3.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why would the app need to implement PIP? That sounds like they are providing google a license for making it a premium feature.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I much prefer the new touch remote. After a small learning curve it feels great to use. Swiping is a pleasure. Slap a silicone case on it and the ergonomics are almost perfect.

My only wish Is that it had a way to mute. Lol.
Seems like it could be like “double tap volume down”

mixdup

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
Atlanta, GA
So, unless I'm missing something it looks like you can only PIP video content..for example if you AirPlay a video from your iPhone or iPad, you can PIP, but if you just screen mirror from an iOS device you cannot PIP. Likewise, you can only PIP a video playing in an Apple TV app (that has implemented the tvOS 14 player API), not any random Apple TV app. This is disappointing, it would have been great to be able to pull up a radar app in PIP during a severe weather situation, or a statistics website in PIP sent over screen mirroring from your iPad during a football game or auto race on TV. Hopefully Apple will build on this and allow basically anything to be PIP'd, or at the very least, Screen Mirroring to be PIP'd

whyyyyy havent they gotten rid of the log in screens where you have to go to the networks website and put in a code...what happened to that and why hasn't it been done yet?

The content companies and the cable companies both have to play ball, and most do not like to give Apple *any* control. This is mostly out of Apple's hands

Why would the app need to implement PIP? That sounds like they are providing google a license for making it a premium feature.

It has to use the latest video player API for tvOS 14. If they use a custom player or haven't updated for tvOS 14, it won't have the proper controls. It's not going to be premium, and doesn't require anything extra special from Apple to the devs, it just has to be a proper tvOS 14 app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.