Hanging Safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SamVilde, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SamVilde macrumors regular

SamVilde

I have a new 2017 tMBP.

For the past week or so, pages (pretty much all pages) have been hanging (often for +/-10 seconds!) before loading and running normally.

I had Ghostery running, and tried turning that off - no difference. I noticed the Safari update today and got that - no difference. I uninstalled Ghostery and got adguard instead - no difference.

I thought maybe it was my internet connection, but I had to use Chrome for a few things and noticed that there's no hang at all on Chrome.

Any ideas, or steps I can take for diagnosing a solution?

Thanks.

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502a

prisstratton

Are you by any chance running a browser add-in called Trusteer Rapport ? It was something I recently got rid of after spending the last four months fighting with my browser. The difference was like night and day.....literally. Many banks were requiring that you install this a few years ago for online banking. It will have an entry in your system preferences panel if it is installed.

3. tgd85 macrumors member

Having the same issue since updating to Safari 11. When navigating to a new webpage, Safari hangs for several seconds before accessing the page. Currently testing out which extensions might be causing the stall, if that is in fact the problem. Confident it's not an internet issue, because during the few seconds Safari is hanging, LittleSnitch doesn't show any up or down traffic.

Currently extensions are Ghostery, Adguard, Evernote Web Clipper, SearchPreview, and Minimal Status Bar.

4. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

I started noticing at work too. Maybe it's not extensions. It's worse at home, though, and has been a week or so.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Happened to me yesterday in Safari 11 with Sierra. Hanging beachball of death, on my 2017 iMac. But it's only ever happened that once, and I've tested 4 computers with Safari 11 now, three of which are in High Sierra.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Just updated to Safari 11 yesterday, am running OSX Sierra. Safari also hangs on my iMac. But more irritatingly, certain fields are unclickable, or clicking doesn't complete an action.

Examples: some of the search fields in MacRumors.com search box --can't type in them. Twitter "likes" and "retweets" --can be clicked & see a little graphic but it doesn't "stick", tabs in Flickr beyond the first tab just don't work anymore. On some web sites I can write in a comments box, hit post, but the comment vanishes forever -not posting.

My extensions are: Ghostery, Adblock, WOT, DuckDuckGo. I switched over to AdGuard per WeaselBoy's comment in the MR Safari Update post but that made no difference so I switched back to AdBlock. Also turned off Ghostery, etc., no diff.

So. Safari 11, for me, is a slow dysfunctional tar ball.
    o_O

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I don’t have a problem with the search box. However I have zero plugins.

8. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Hmmm. And now I'm finding more & more glitches on other websites. No book images or loan buttons for my Library website, for example.

9. Edelheid macrumors member

Edelheid

I'm also experiencing freezes on Safari 11. Both Sierra and High Sierra.

It happens the more tabs you have. What seems to trigger mine is when, for example, you're typing your response in some random thread and decide to open a new tab or click a link that opens a new tab. Safari will freeze for around 2 to 3 seconds. It only happens when there are active text fields and new tabs involved.

It feels like no amount of OS reinstall will ever fix this.

10. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

How much memory do you have, and how many tabs?

I haven't encountered this issue (yet).

11. Edelheid macrumors member

Edelheid

16GB and ~50 tabs. MBP 2017. Fairly new setup, never restored from backup.

Odd thing is this never happens on my older 2013 MBA with 8GB RAM. It can hold 100 tabs without encountering this new tab shebang.

12. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Maybe it has something to do with some of the content loaded in those tabs.

13. Edelheid macrumors member

Edelheid

Unfortunately, that's not it either. I opened 60 empty tabs earlier to test this out and the same symptom persisted. In order to avoid this problem right now I need to keep my tabs from reaching around ~20 lest it starts plaguing my computer with beach balls.

Guess I'll upgrade my 2013 MBA to HS and see if it suffers from the same issue to narrow things down.

14. jk73 macrumors 6502

I've encountered this a couple times in the past after messing around with my browser history (e.g., deleting some but not all of my history). Deleting my Safari history from *all* devices — i.e., all devices sharing browser history via iCloud — immediately resolved it.