Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the App Store for iOS devices, which launched on July 10, 2008, just a day before the iPhone 3G came out. The iPhone 3G was the device Apple used to debut the App Store, with the new functionality built into the iPhone 3G's operating system, iPhone OS 2.

ios-11-app-store-5-800x530.jpg

Prior to the launch of the App Store, Apple in March of 2008 introduced an iPhone SDK, providing early app developers with the tools to build the first third-party apps. On stage at the announcement event, demo apps included EA's Spore Origins for the iPhone, AIM, Sega's Super Monkey Ball, and a Salesforce app, and within a matter of days, the original iPhone SDK had been downloaded more than 100,000 times.

originalappstore-1-800x715.jpg

When the App Store opened up in July 2008, 500 third-party apps were ready to download, and in less than a week, Apple announced 10 million apps had been downloaded. From Apple CEO Steve Jobs:
"The App Store is a grand slam, with a staggering 10 million applications downloaded in just three days. Developers have created some extraordinary applications, and the App Store can wirelessly deliver them to every iPhone and iPod touch user instantly."
Since that initial debut, the App Store has evolved on a yearly basis, with Apple continually refining and revamping the App Store experience for both consumers and developers. We thought we'd explore the App Store's history, highlighting the major evolutionary steps (and a few fun facts) that have ultimately transformed the way we use our iOS devices.

- July 10, 2008 - The App Store launches with 500 apps available, 25 percent of which were free, and 75 percent that customers had to purchase.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Happy 10th Anniversary, App Store!

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
How many of those early apps are still available today? My oldest apps purchased from my iPhone 4 that still works on my iPhone 7 iOS 10 is Fat-a-Pult from Pinger and Video D/L from NetPowerApps.
Restoring purchases no longer works for a lot of apps now.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Remember it like it was yesterday. AIM was pretty much dead for my friends and I at that point, but I still wanted to try it out.

Can’t really remember other apps I had besides Facebook.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Happy Birthday, now time for a serious makeover.
Wishlist:
- Better app categorisation
- Dedicated Kids store
- Target age

Many of these wishes comes from frustration of always seeing tons of apps aimed at toddlers and kids when browsing different categories trying to find something new and interesting

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
How many of those early apps are still available today? My oldest apps purchased from my iPhone 4 that still works on my iPhone 7 iOS 10 is Fat-a-Pult from Pinger and Video D/L from NetPowerApps.
Restoring purchases no longer works for a lot of apps now.
Good question, the earliest apps I remember installing are Angry Birds, a Bonsai Tree app and Doom Classic. Only Angry Birds would still work and is being updated.

Reactions: JosephAW

hexum23

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
I just got really nostalgic and almost emotional reading this. I can’t believe it’s been 10 years since I got my iPhone 3G. Before iPhone, I was very into “smart” phones like the Samsung sgh500, treo 650, htc tytn, always tinkering and downloading mods off xdadevelopers. Then the iPhone came out and it was an amazingly more positive experience and never felt the need to mod again as I was able to just enjoy the phone and the App Store allowed for a level of customization/addition that always made my phone fun, new and exciting. Apps like Urban Spoon and Around Me and games like Enigmo and Aqua Forest come to mind as some of my firsts.

Reactions: mprofit

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Despite all critics, I appreciate Apple continued its approach with a strict quality and approval policy. Surely room for improvement is everywhere, yet I have a way better feeling when my kids crawl the App Store compared to Google's Play Store.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Remember safari used to show checkerboard when scrolling around. Then in newer iOS updates it would refresh when you would switch to open tabs.
Don't experience that anymore on my 7 iOS 10. Concerned if I update to 11 or 12 that will return.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I just got really nostalgic and almost emotional reading this. I can’t believe it’s been 10 years since I got my iPhone 3G. Before iPhone, I was very into “smart” phones like the Samsung sgh500, treo 650, htc tytn, always tinkering and downloading mods off xdadevelopers. Then the iPhone came out and it was an amazingly more positive experience and never felt the need to mod again as I was able to just enjoy the phone and the App Store allowed for a level of customization/addition that always made my phone fun, new and exciting. Apps like Urban Spoon and Around Me and games like Enigmo and Aqua Forest come to mind as some of my firsts.
Hmmm I had a pretty similar experience (other smartphones and mods), but while I always enjoyed using an iPhone, jailbreak was a non negotiable till iOS 7 or so - too many basic features were missing and required JB to be on par.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I remember this day fondly. I had loaded up a lot of apps onto my original iPhone, and the next day I played Super Monkey Ball for hours while waiting in line for the iPhone 3g. Overnight the iPhone became incredibly versatile and powerful. Best update ever.

Dustonfoster

Suspended
Sep 30, 2017
I remember calling into Rogers as my father 10 years ago and ordering myself an iPhone 3G!

I was 14 at the time and had no money, I had a month before the bill came in to come up with some haha. Mom found the packaging before the bill came in and I lied and said it was a friends.. then confessed a few days later. It was not easy hiding my phone everyday :p.

Long story short the iPhone / Apple has helped me get where I am today, it lead me to be obsessed with technology. I ended up breaking the screen on my
3G and was very upset, I called Apple to get pricing but it was ridiculous! Can’t remember the price but for a 14yo it wasn’t good haha. The Apple REP actually suggested I look online for a replacement screen for a DIY fix... prior to this I’ve been tinkering with remote controlled cars, boats, planes etc but never a smart phone. I ordered the parts, waited and then installed a new screen. Family was impressed, as were my friends and teachers. From that day forward they were all asking me to fix their devices. I started fixing phones for the public when I was only 15/16 and was pulling in more cash that I do today LOL. Shortly after that those mall kiosks started popping up everywhere so I decided to focus on other things.

Anyways, very greatful for what we have today.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I remember downloading dozens of apps and have them all setup in iTunes before I bought my first iPhone, the iPhone 3G. Some of my favorite early apps were the marble maze app, Angry Birds, temple run. I also remember buying the TomTom app and using it for years as my driving navigation, before google maps and Apple maps became robust enough. Another highlight was when Netflix created their app and I could watch any shows on my mobile device, that blew me away.

Now I never go into the app store and look for apps. I've removed most games, other than a few like cribbage and hearts. I also don't like that most apps now request your info, the early games and service apps just let you use it without signing in.

thenewyorkgod

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Were you able to get apps another way before the app store? Or was the phone just for whatever stock apps came with it?

iJandro

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
San Francisco, CA
As someone who graduated with a graphic design major around this time 10 years ago, I laughed at the thought of ever seeing any involvement in designing apps....boy was I wrong!

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I miss the original Koi Pond so much. That was my first app I got for my iPhone. Wish they would bring it back.

Reactions: artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.