Happy April Fools' Day 2016: SpatiaFlight AirPlay, Google Cardboard Plastic and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

April 1 is here again, and as with every April Fools' Day that comes around, readers should be on the alert for hoaxes and claims at both news and rumor sites.

As tradition would have it, plenty of today's pranks involve Apple and tech. Here are a few of the more intriguing ones that are making the rounds so far today. Bear in mind that some of the hoaxes may be NSFW, so after-office viewing or headphone donning may be the safest option.

SpatiaFlight

Moshi launches SpatiaFlight, the next generation of AirPlay.

T-Mobile #BingeOnUp Service

T-Mobile are offering Binge On Up!, a truly mobile binge-watching experience free to all their customers.

Google Cardboard Plastic

Google announces Cardboard Plastic, for the ultimate immersive "AR" experience.

Other Pranks and Hoaxes

Autonomous RV - World's first self-driving trailer van
    Virgin America - Introducing the airline's dubious new logo
    Product Hunt - Product Hunt acquires Yahoo in all-stock deal
    Mark for H&M - Mark Zuckerberg exclusive fashion collection
    Lexus V-LCRO - Revolutionary human-machine interface for tackling hard corners
    Android Developer Story - The Guardian goes galactic with Google Play

This post will be updated throughout April Fools' Day with the latest pranks and hoaxes.

Article Link: Happy April Fools' Day 2016: SpatiaFlight AirPlay, Google Cardboard Plastic and More

2. Bp778814 macrumors newbie

Bp778814

Theres also Youtube who announced "SnoopaVision" - watch all youtube videos in 360 with Snoop Dogg o_O

3. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

4. justiny Contributor

justiny

A clever idea that should have died a long time ago.

A douchebag that tries to recreate a fashion trend ten years later is still a douchebag.

5. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Huzzah! Everyone seems to be getting in on the April-foolery these days, no longer feels so unique!

6. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

7. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

8. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I really hope no one is that stupid that they would fall for this stuff.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a SpatiaFlight to pre-order.

9. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

Best hoax was the cheap electric car for the masses, because some people still believe it is true.

Tesla Model 3 Unveiling

10. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

How about Apple announces for the 1st time, their High End Gaming Computer for the enthusiast.

iGamePro

Skylake Core i7-6700K CPU
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Graphics
    512GB SSD
    16 GB RAM

SSD Drive and Memory upgrade options.

Please :)

We all just know such a device would set the gaming world on fire, and be amazingly popular.
    People have been waiting for such a thing for years.....

11. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

12. tdbmoss macrumors 6502

tdbmoss

Microsoft seem to have gone pretty big on April Fools this year too, they've announced that SQL Server is going to be ported to Linux, they're partnering with Canonical to bring a Linux subsystem with Bash to Windows 10, and they're going to be including a tool with Visual Studio to help developers compile apps for iOS and Android!

Oh wait...seems that's actually real news...

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Samsung's is here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxy-ltd/

Can't help feeling there's a dig at the iPhone SE in this: The name is Ltd (for Limited Edition) and at the end when they reveal it's an April Fool's they say "We wouldn't re-release an old phone"...

14. sp00kyelectric macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Ah yes... the days when Samsung used to design their own phones!!

15. aleni macrumors 68020

April mop should be erased from calendar. It's getting old.

Apple released cheap $399 iphone for mexicans, named iPhone ESE. Turned out to be true though. I though it was apple's april mop trick.

16. d0minick macrumors 6502

that google plastic was great. something the tv show silicon valley would do.

17. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

It's quite witty actually. I've just seen their own SE. Their A Series I believe. Completely different styling to the flagship S7 but quite impressive and feature laden nonetheless. Clearly they've spent a while composing that advert without inferring Apple's own recent retrograde step with their "Old Is New" dig. I wonder how long it'll stay up or be removed tomorrow. April. Fool technically ends at midday. Ah but then on whose time zone?

18. kamijovi macrumors newbie

kamijovi

Dine's is here.

Sorry, Dine’s AI system had a major freak out. All pictures were changed to cute animals (...and bacon)
    http://bit.ly/22Uqm9G

19. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Apparently it's still funny, because I LOL'd.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Such an elaborate, well-thought out, and expensive hoax. That Musk guy knows how to live it up.

20. Michael Scrip, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Samsung still can't seem to make a small and powerful phone.

I'll give Samsung credit for coming up with a "new" design for the A-series... but it's still big. It's much too big to be considered a one-handed phone.

And how fast is the Snapdragon 410 anyway? Wasn't it designed for low-end phones? (yes)

If the Galaxy A3 was supposed to compete against the iPhone SE... Samsung completely missed the mark. But why did we really expect? Samsung released it a few months before they saw the iPhone SE :)

[​IMG]

21. DCYorke macrumors member

Google Cardboard Plastic doesn't really work from the company that really brought us Google Glass.

22. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Worse day of the year to fall ill or even die :D

23. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I guess this is the right thread to talk about the improved battery size on iPhone 7

24. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

As old as (some people are claiming) April Fools Day jokes are here, nothing is older than people like you who just can't help themselves in creating some sort of negative spin on Apple vs. Samsung models for no good reason. This thread is about April Fools jokes, not about how everything Apple makes is perfect in comparison to some random Samsung product.

FWIW, the TMobile ad was pretty funny to me and for me, April Fools Day ads are much funnier than Super Bowl ads have become.