iPad mini Happy iPad Mini Retina owner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDXPean, Nov 16, 2013.

1. PDXPean macrumors member

I just want to say that I am happy with my retina mini. I am coming from a 1st gen mini, so I don't have a full size iPad as a reference point. But it is obviously a big step up from the 1st gen mini.

With the old mini, I often found myself needing to zoom to read text better. I am doing that far less on the retina version. Text is so much clearer - IMO the best reason to upgrade from the 1st gen.

I cannot tell the difference in weight between the two generations. I use both with the Smart Cover. I am still able to use the retina mini with one hand. It's possible that I just work out too much though.

I haven't tested image retention and I likely won't either. I am somewhat hesitant to purposefully try to do that on this device.

As I said, I don't have a full size iPad to reference, but colors look great. Maybe I'd be disappointed if I had an Air. But I prefer the form factor of the mini much better and that, to me, offsets any advantage that the Air has over the mini.

Putting this out there since there are many retina mini disappointment threads! :)

2. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

GREAT to hear that ! Mine is on it's way . I changed not for the retina but because I had always had regrets not getting Cellular ... So retina is an added bonus ;)
    I had the 1st iPad and switched as soon as the mini came out..and have not looked back :) I can take it everywhere , I travel a lot so the size is perfect.

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I originally planned to buy an ipad last year, but once I saw the mini, I knew I had to buy one, but I wanted to wait until it had retina, which it does now. I could honestly say, I prefer it over the iPad Air in terms of size.

4. ddaniel macrumors newbie

Love mine as well. Big step up from the original.

With so many hate threads, we need some positivity around here!

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It will probably outsell the larger iPad again. I'm glad you folks like it, that is all that matters. Considering the 1st gen did so well which I truly feel Apple did not foresee versus the larger, this may not be any different as it is even better than that one. Time will tell.

7. oggydude macrumors newbie

I got my mini yesterday and am thrilled with my purchase that my 15 Mbp hasn't been used since . I just upgraded from the first 'prototype' iPad and the difference in performance was amazing. I raised enough money this year for a new iPad and the form factor of the mini won me over, the air is a superior device but the 0.1ghz extra performance and better colours was unnoticeable to me when I played around with both devices as I did just come from the first gen, plus as a medical student I love how the mini will fit into a jacket/white coat and my eye sight is definitely good enough to read more than comfortably on the device. I am thrilled with the purchase but if there is one nag is that I'm not to sure on how future proof this device is with only 1gb RAM and the 64bit apparently using up more RAM than the 34bit. I want to get 3 non compromising years out of this device :D

8. big samm macrumors 65816

Yes me too am happy with my rMini Lte, coming from the ipad 3 i didn't wanna buy the first gen because it didn't have retina display, now it have a retina display and the same power as the ipad air... Again im happy!

9. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I must have lucked out with the screen. No yellow tint, etc. I don't care to do the IR test as I don't notice any problems during normal use so who cares about a checkerboard at 100% brightness.

I also have an iPad 3. I think I prefer the size of his little brother!

10. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

Overall I prefer my mini to my nexus 7, but one thing that is really inadequate in the mini is the "stereo" sound. In landscape mode, which is how most people watch videos, the true stereo sound in the nexus 7 makes a HUGE difference. Not even close.

I suspect we'll see its debut in the iPad mini in generation 8 or 9.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That doesn't bother me a bit - if I'm watching a movie, I'm using headphones anyway. The speakers on any tablet are subpar to listening with headphones.

12. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

My rMini is bad ass

I'm with the rest of you. Clearly the gamut and image retention issue has all the haters in a tizzy, but for what I wanted out of an iPad, this thing crushes it. I originally ordered the 128 Verizon LTE because I figured, if I'm gonna do it, do it all the way. But I also was really eager to get my hands on one ASAP.

On Friday, I was able to secure a 64 Verizon LTE as soon as it showed up at a local Apple Store. As much as the 128 would make me feel like the rMini was future proofed, I still haven't filled half of my 64 iPad 3 yet, which I share with my wife and son. I use a lot of cloud services, so saving a $100 for something that wasn't a top priority seemed like a good trade off, especially if it meant I would get the iPad immediately. I canceled my online order -- still in process -- and have used the rMini since last night.

Overall, this is the iPad I've been waiting for. I am a musician, writer, and amateur artists/photographer. The rMini is a perfect device for drafting up ideas and capturing inspirations. I now have a device nearly identical to the Air in performance, with the easy portability I didn't have with my iPad 3.

Don't get me wrong. It isn't revolutionary when it comes to the tablet market, but for what I want out of a tablet: portability, high-quality content, good battery life, snappiness, a great app selection, and the ability to create music, art, or words on the go, the rMini is a phenomenal addition to my toolbox. I love it.

13. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Chuffed to bits with mine, it is so fast it's fantastic.

Screen quality is excellent, wouldn't even have questioned whether it was or wasn't unless i had read these forums. I really like the look of the screen, it's just a bit less saturated than the air, but that means it won't give you eyestrain, it is just nice and neutral, just about right i think.

14. Jeans89 macrumors regular

For me it's mini or nothing. I had iPad4, but did not liked it even it had a better display than mini. Having used now my mini over a year I am getting the new mini with Retina. 8 inches is the right size. Easy to handle in bed and take with me to everywhere.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Count me in, as well. The retina iPad mini is the one I've been waiting for, and it doesn't disappoint.

16. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

good to hear that ... mine is still processing .. looking forward to it

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm surprised you are not even trying the Air.

18. LabGuy macrumors member

19. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

I wasn't discussing movie watching. I was discussing watching videos. That would include movies, but also many other things. Actually, I happened to be watching a replay of the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup in the last minute against Boston. The stereo speakers made a world of difference. I don't strap on headphones every time I watch something on a tablet.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have both the Air and the rMini, and I absolutely love my Mini. It looks great. Infinity Blade plays great.

21. skiltrip, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

skiltrip macrumors 68030

Count me in. I am coming from the 1st gen mini. I never liked any of he original iPads, simply because I felt they were to big to be as portable as I thought a tablet should be. When the mini came out and held it in my hand, I was sold. I decided to forgive it's lesser screen resolution and reminded myself how long I used to work on a 15" computer monitor with 1024x768 resolution (long ago).

The new mini just rights any and all wrongs the original mini was guilty of.

I see no flaws/problems. I'm not testing for image retention, because I don't give a hoot. If it's not happening while I normally use my iPad, it's a non-issue. I could just as easily drop it on the driveway and then complain that it has durability issues.

I also thought I'd miss the Slate color. I'm a fan of dark and subtle. I thought I'd not really like the Space Gray, but it's pretty sick looking. I really like it.

I can see me keeping this at least until the iPad mini 4th gen. It's awesome.

22. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Sam here love them both!!!

23. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Enjoying the rMini here. It's a good compliment to the 13" rMBP. We're still hanging on the the iPad 3rd gen, and the kid now has my old mini LTE.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd be careful posting that here. Someone might call DCF and report you for child neglect... :p

25. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So of those who have and like both, which one would you choose if you had to choose one?