Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Really like my new Mini Ret too. Yea, the screen is a tad bit darker (as in not as bright) as my old iPad 4, but it's okay. Set to the highest brightness it's nearly identical to my ipad 4 set to around 95% brightness. I mostly use it for reading books and web browsing so it's a non issue.

All else is perfect.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'd be careful posting that here. Someone might call DCF and report you for child neglect... :p

I know. It's awful. It's bad enough that his friends mock him because he's using a screen with horrendous resolution and a narrow color gamut. Wait until they find out his data plan is on AT&T and not Verizon ;-)

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I have both and think both are amazing. If I was to pick one, I think I would pick the Air. It's not as portable, but definitely can be taken around and the bigger screen size is a big reason for my opinion. After using the rMini for a long time, and then switching to the air, the difference in experience with the larger screen size is so different.

I'm glad I have both though. I use air at home when on couch or working and rMini in bed, on the go, or for reading.

taff2003

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
UK
Another happy punter here.

Bought a 64GB WiFi model last week and have been using it a lot ever since. I've "upgraded" from a 3rd Gen. iPad. I bought a 1st. Gen iPad mini last year but returned it as I couldn't get on with the non-Retina display. I use my iPad a lot as an e-book reader and found the text too fuzzy, despite 20:20 vision.

I'm delighted with the new iPad mini. It's lovely and light and the screen is sharp. I've no plans to test screen burn retention (or whatever it's called...) because I've not noticed any issues in my real world testing. I also don't want to risk damaging my device either!

As far as I can tell after many hours of use, the device is non-defective, fully functioning - and awesome :)

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Add me to happy list. Have been appalled by some of the posts on here. There is a Jamaican saying my neighbour used to say to me when I'd get obsessed about small things; 'You got time', she'd say sarcastically.
I'm calling that to a lot of people gnashing their teeth and wailing on the gamut threads. What are they? Professional photographers all of 'em?
Love the Mini R. Feel very sorry for the peeps tying themselves in knots over something that isn't that necessary for most peoples needs or that much of a deal breaker for normal, realistic day to day use.

Last edited:

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I got my mini with retina as the first iPad in the house for myself. I read the threads about the washed out colour etc (which technical analysis shows IS a real problem, i'm not saying anyone's imagined it) but to be honest, I would have never noticed if I hadn't seen the threads here. Now that I have the device, i still can't tell much of a difference.

I got my mother an Air but haven't used them side by side.

I only use safari, check e-mails and play some games, FaceTime here and there and so far it seems perfectly up to the task. It's a nice well built machine, you did pay a premium for it, enjoy the apps and have some fun with it.

If you feel like it's not worth it, speak with your cash and return it. If enough people feel this way and it affects their bottom line, apple will not sacrifice the gamut in the future.

Edit: Just want to say, if you're a designer, photographer etc, I can appreciate why the screen issues would affect you, I know you guys have legit complaints. It's just that the issue won't affect most people.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I'm really happy about my new rMini as well (coming from an iPad 3). First one was delivered with dents though, but managed to grab a new one in the store (although a replacement unit is still on the way, need to have to return that one then).

Coming from a 3rd gen the most noticeably different for me is probably speed (aside from the screen of course:)). Browsing with Safari is such a new experience in terms of performance. I often found myself returning to my macbook on the old iPad when having several tabs open and switching between a lot of pages.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
For me it's mini or nothing. I had iPad4, but did not liked it even it had a better display than mini. Having used now my mini over a year I am getting the new mini with Retina. 8 inches is the right size. Easy to handle in bed and take with me to everywhere.

thats what she said! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.