Happy iPhone 4 shattered glass story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gilkisson, Dec 4, 2010.

1. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

My wife had the misfortune of dropping her iPhone 4 from about 2.5 feet onto pavement. Front glass spiderwebbed, nice and cracked. Still worked, just cracked/shattered.

We made a pilgrimage to our nearest Apple Store, down in Charleston. On the way, I used the Apple Store app from my phone to make a Genius Bar appointment. Followed the recommended process and all.

Got there early, checked in, milled about for a while, oogling the Air models. When our name was called, we met the Genius, who was a very polite young lady, and explained what had happened, showed her the shatter-screened phone.

She calmly explained that this type of damage wasn't covered under warranty, to which I immediately agreed, and said we expected to have to pay the Out-Of_Warrenty fee. I then politely asked if there was any way we could possibly, just this one, avoid having to pay that fee and get a refurb phone.

She looked me in the eye and asked, "would you say you are the argumentative type?" I replied, no, ma'am, I don't intend to argue for this at all, I'm asking it as a favor, not demanding anything at all. She was smiling when she asked it, and I was smiling when I answered.

She surprised me by saying, "well, it's not covered, but we will go ahead and swap it out with a refurb and cover it under warranty, just this once." I was very pleasantly surprised! We thanked her profusely, chatted with some other folks at the Genius Bar while she swapped SIMs, all very relaxed. When she was done, we were on our way.

No moral to the story, other than what I've learned time and time again. If you break something and it's your fault, own up to it, don't try to lie about it. Be pleasant, ask nicely, and don't present yourself as the south end of a northbound equine. Usually, it works wonders. It did today.

By rights, we should have had to pay $199 plus tax. Apple's rep decided that this time, we didn't have to pay that. We're grateful.

With all the vitriolic stories we hear about "I broke/drowned my phone/laptop and I demand a new one or else", I just wanted to share a happy story.

EDIT: While we were waiting, another Genius was helping a lady with what appeared to be a 2007-or-so MBP. I could overhear part of her complaint, that it would work for a while, get hot, then the screen would go blank. Eavesdropping, I gathered the Genius in her case decided there was a problem with the logic board in her model MBP, and while he couldn't give her a brand-new one, he would authorize a complete repair of her at no cost.

Loves me some Apple Support.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree with being friendly with the Apple reps.
    I got a replacement computer that came with iLife 11. I didn't have any discs for the new computer, just the old ones from my old computer ... but I called Apple, explained my situation, and they gladly sent me the discs.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I definitely agree this is a far better way to deal with all people. Many people in today's world seem to have a crazy sense of entitlement, and often come off as very rash when some problem arises.

4. scelzifan macrumors 6502

That's a great story and very true. You do get further when your honest and polite. That's the way I was always raised. Glad they took care of you. Maybe it's otterbox time for the wifey:D

5. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Funny you should mention that... that's exactly what our polite Genius had to say as well. Of course, they don't sell them in the Apple Stores, or we'd have snapped one up on the spot.

Well, at least I know what will be in her stocking this Christmas... :)

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Having been on the other side of this situation, i MUCH prefer honesty, if you come to me all pissed off and bitch at me, and start lying... i wont help you. If your being nice and genuine and honest, ill work with ya!:D

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats, OP for the great way you handled this situation. I'm glad Apple chose to reward you by replacing your phone free of charge.

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Congrats OP. I think the Apple Reps are always very helpful and informative, I have never had any problems with them.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My brother had his wife's iPhone replaced after she dropped it onto the pavement about 30 minutes into it's life out of the box. Apparently they replaced it without much questioning that same day.

This was early days of release and I'm surprised they even had any in stock.

In other words: Hooray Apple!

10. pretorian macrumors newbie

my ever reliable iBook had some problems with the wifi connection went to Apple store and they still fixed after being happy to see an iBook that looks like new, they even changed the mother board for a very minimal amount!!!! cheers fir Apple...

11. Maccleduff macrumors regular

This part of the story amused me, only because it sounds like the macbook pro suffered from a problem with the nVidia 8600m gt graphics card which is a documented issue with extended 4 years warranty on that part. Apple are obliged to to do the repair in that case, but it doesn't solve the problem as they just replace it with a new part with the same flaw. http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

12. scelzifan macrumors 6502

That's to funny. You might watch out for that stocking stuffer. You may end up with a divorce letter the next day.;). I tried to get one for my wife too and she wasn't having it so I guess if it breaks then it breaks and we will worry about it then.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

having worked in customer service I will say 100% I was more willing to help a nice curtious honest person. then some idiot screaming and telling me what they deserve. Glad things went well I would top it off buy sending the Apple Genius a nice thank you card. nice to do and you might need her niceness again. ;)

14. CZK macrumors 6502a

What time of the day was it, i mean your appointment ?

I bet that it was at the end of the day (or week) and each apple store have return quotas and that day they had still some space in their ''return'' box.

If it wasnt at the end of the day or the week, give me credit for my theory lol

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

What a magical story. Apple support really is one of a kind.

Sent from my iPhone

16. aohus macrumors 68000

wow, on Verizon they replace phones on the spot with little to no investigation as to how it broke.

17. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

+1. Had the exact same experience about a month ago with my Apple Store, except it was me who dropped my phone.

People can argue that there is an "Apple Tax," but when there are feel-good moments like this, I wouldn't mind paying it anyway. ;)

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

has nothing to do with the cell Carrier Apple handles there own issues that is there policy. and your store must be better because I have known several that cracked the glass and Verizon said oh well.

19. deeesea macrumors 6502

I've swapped 3 iphone 3gs and 1 iphone 3g with Rogers...all with lies, worked 100% of the time, it all depends on the type of damage it's suffered, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a believable lie for a screen that's been shattered.

Some things you can lie for, other things would just be a waste of your and the reps time. In those cases, it's best to go in honestly.

Sometimes if you're honest for problems that are intermittent they would just tell you to piss off. In which case a nice lie would help get you what you want. I own the phone, if something's wrong i know what it would be, explaining it to you, and having the problem not appear @ the genius meeting would just be a waste of your time, might as well make up a lie, get it swapped and be done with it.

Just takes some good judgement and creativity ;) .

20. rust0r macrumors member

Definitely, you can lie and still be polite about it.

The people I was referring to as jerks are those that would come in, scream at a customer service rep, as if they were the people responsible for their device breaking or the problem they encountered

21. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

The funny thing about being honest...you don't have to worry about coming up with a story that is believable. Sometimes the truth is stranger then fiction. And when you tell the truth, you live your life with integrity.

22. deeesea macrumors 6502

For sure, I'm always calm, collected, and polite when I'm telling a fib to a rep.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't feel bad when I lie like a SOB :D.

23. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Honestly Apple are just A+ when it comes to customer service.

They can afford to do stuff like this due to their massive profit margins. I really hope Apple do not become stricter when it comes to things like this.

I wonder if the genius's (Genii?) have to fill out any forms or whatnot as to what they did about appointments, i mean, there must be some sort of authorisation when it comes to things like this? or can they just do it willy nilly no questions asked?

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

This makes me sad there aren't any Apple stores in the Netherlands. You have to send it in for repair when you're screen is smashed and it can take op to 4 weeks before you have a new phone :mad: . And ofcourse no courtesy arrangements there...

25. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

This type of ******** annoys me, in a similar vein to your girlfriend, I dropped my iPod Touch 4G and yet Apple just gave me the guff of, it's not under warranty, if we were to do this all the time we'd be out of business and wa wa wa. Not like I haven't spent a few thousand on your gear over the last 4 years. :(