Happy Thanksgiving - 2014 edition

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish to extend a Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans. My family is looking forward to consuming copious quantities of food :D

2. Huntn, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Back atcha! :) We are at a bed & breakfast in Natchez, Ms getting ready to see what they have cooked up for TDay...

Update: What a pleasant over priced meal! :)

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I'm leaving here in about 10 minutes to spend Thanksgiving with some old friends who date back to the 1960's. :)

4. mgguy, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Got my cigar in one hand and my iPad in the other while sitting in our backyard in sunny Northern California reading MacRumors and watching hummingbirds drink nectar. Lovely day so far.

5. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Got a jump on most of you because we are overseas, cooked up 3 turkeys and the trimmings for my mates, of course I ate to much!

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing all a very pleasant day!

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Happy Thanks*urp*giving Everyone!

This year, the whole family decided that we're all tired of the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So instead of the usual round of turkey and dressing, we went with smoked brisket, beef ribs, Mac 'n Cheese, broccoli casserole, and enough cranberry salad to choke an army of gluttons.

It was good. So good.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Sitting here on the floor just typing away on my iPad Mini while everyone's watching football.

Hopefully no one has a sour stomach like I do. *Bleh* I've not been very good about eating for the last couple of years. GREATLY enjoying this nice warm mug of tea.

10. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Enjoying a nice mug of Earl Grey myself, good for the soul.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i just eat pizza on thanksgiving. gets the job done

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I hope everyone had a great day and kept remembrance of the many things we are all thankful for. :)

13. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

It was a great one on this end, the wife outdid herself this year.

Turkey was awesome as usual (a nice, juicy, 22lb Butterball), but this time, she did up homemade stuffing (bakery french bread, sausage, fresh herbs) and the green bean casserole was fresh beans and fresh mushrooms and the sauce was homemade with cream, etc. (vs. using canned mushroom soup).

Add in a huge batch of her famous mashed potatoes and some of the best gravy I’ve ever had, deviled eggs, corn casserole and we’re destroyed on this end.

It was _amazing_.

We also got a pie from a terrific local restaurant, it’s Pecan Bourbon Bacon ( it’ll be breakfast tomorrow :D )

Also scored some terrific beer, I’ll have to update the beer thread, the Terrapin MooHooChiato is outstanding!

We hit up the beach for a nice walk after the button popping meal, it was beautiful ...

14. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Thanks! Wishing everyone health and happiness.

15. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

First, have a happy Thanksgiving and safe travels (hopefully without much traffic!)

Damn, 22 pounds! That's a HUGE turkey (for us at least). We usually get a 14-ish pound bird for about 10 of us. How many people were you feeding? Anyway, the rest of it sounded great!

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

17. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

18. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Hahaha, I did confirm and she said it was actually just over 20 lbs (she had thought 22 originally), but yeah, that’s still kind of a beastly bird.

She said there was basically small and large at our grocery, not much in the middle (like the 14-18 lb range). There’s only three of us (one being a little girl), but my folks came over ate, and took a nice amount home. Though when I cleaned it so we could pitch the bones, holy smoke it was a huge mount on the platter.

We’re sort of turkey fanatics, so I don’t mind having enough to last into the weekend :)

Turkey sandwiches!
    Turkey salad!
    Turkey gravy!
    Turkey Hash!
    Turkey a la King!
    Gallons of turkey soup!

:D

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I love turkey sandwiches and turkey salad with almonds. In the past I found under 10lb birds that could be boiled in a large pot for this purpose.