Hard Case for new MBP. Gd idea or bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asim91, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Asim91 macrumors newbie

Im looking to get a hard case for my MBP but as it is my first mac laptop i am unsure on what is the best type. I've looked around and have come across the incase and speck does any one have these and would they recommender them? or is there any other cases that you recommend?

Thanks

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If you go places often then I might recommend the Speck. I think it just adds extra bulk for minimal protection. If you want to protect against scratches, just put Wrapsol or w/e on it.

3. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I recommend the Speck.

I had it on my Macbook Air and loved it. At home i took it off and the air sat on my desk. Whenever i went out, it was on.

Its definitely worth it.

I just sold my Air this morning and bought a Macbook Pro this afternoon.
    Tomorrow im going to go get the Speck case for the Pro and slap it on whenever im not home.

Enjoy your new lappy top. I love mine so far

4. thecarrot macrumors member

DO NOT GET A HARD CASE. If you absolutely feel the need for a case just get invisishield or something similar. Also I highly recommend getting a sleeve, personally i have the incase neoprene sleeve pro and its been great. I repeat though, DO NOT GET A HARD CASE. It will not protect your MBP from the drops you think it might, and will destroy the looks that you likely paid extra for, as well as the great hardware/design.

5. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I had a speck see through clear and it sucked. The thing was a dust and fingerprint magnet. Plus when i took it off i noticed a scratch near the left side of my magsafe port.

I would get a neoprene sleeve and be done with it.

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

If you are careful a hard case is not needed. Justs buy a nice laptop case to store and transport it in. I feel the hard cases make it more heavy and don't look as nice.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I don't like hard cases, they just destroy the MPB look, just get a sleeve to protect and enjoy it...

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

hey, i'm going to get a hard case for MBP because as a university student, i'm always moving about with my notebook and cramming it into bags with other things in it. because of this, any extra bit of structural integrity i can add to my mac i must pursue! the hard cases not only protect against dings and dents much better than a wrapsol (i know from experience), it also helps it from getting crushed when you pile text books on top of it :).

9. CTrav86 macrumors member

Personally, I wouldn't go with a hard case. I went through university with my PB G4, and sure, it's got some scratches (mostly where the palm rest is) and a couple small dents... but it's 6 years old now and it still works. Just try not to spill anything on it, bang it into walls, and use some caution.

I agree with the get a wrapsol type thing. When I order my new MBP here in a couple days, I'm definitely getting a wrapsol and some sort of sleeve (and maybe the Tom Bihn Brain Cell). The hard case just seems excessive. It's just a (fairly expensive) computer, after all. It's not a Maybach. Even then, I wouldn't get a hard case for that. :D

10. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

And thats why i put a hard case on mine too. Id rather keep it looking new after a year or more, unlike what some sticker would do to protect it.

11. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Not to mention that the Speck See Thru Satin is sexy.

[​IMG]

Only comes in black for the 17". Man, we 17" users get shafted all over the place. I wanted a green see thru so bad, and the see thru only comes in clear for my size. Which is lame :cool:. They don't even sell 17" hard cases in the store...

12. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

I use the Speck hard case for a couple of reasons. I travel for work and use it as extra protection along with the fact the I velcro'd my external hard drive to the lid (no glue on MBP) I also am able to put stickers on the case (again, MBP is still pristine)

13. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

speck satin

I travel with mine every day, dropped it once onto concrete (a low drop) and I've slammed it quite a few times on benches and the whatnot, the MBP is still flawless :D

plus I wanted to put a decal on my mbp without putting it on my mbp

14. Covart Guest

I have a Speck clear hard case. Works great. Not a single problem.

Get the hard case for when you need to go somewhere. Those that get a Neoprene sleeve are usually the same people with man-purses, have a man-gina and have to drive a minivan or station wagon. :D

15. thecarrot macrumors member

This has to be one of the top 5 most laughable posts ever on this forum. A hardcase takes away the design of the MBP, makes it much heavier, and in the end wont even protect it from much. Sleeves are for people who have the ability to take care of their computers and do not need to cover the whole thing up just to make sure it wont get scratches...but if its always in a case why do you care if it has scratches? You wouldn't be able to see them anyways. I put my MBP inside the sleeve and then inside my backpack for school, it works perfectly and doesn't make the MBP look like every other PC laptop made of plastic thats out there.

16. Covart Guest

^^^ Seriously, you took the time to write all that. It was a joke bro. Notice the :D at the end?

17. thecarrot macrumors member

Took me about 2 minutes to type that so yes I took the time. Joke as it may be you still support hard cases which IMO are one of the biggest jokes of an accessory. Do you put a case on your shoes so that they dont get dirty? Of course not, its the same way with a MBP.

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

you're comparing a pair of sneakers to a MBP? really?

19. ihonda macrumors 68000

my wrapsol is turning orange.. time to request a new one :|

20. Covart Guest

Replace shoe with penis and case with condom and it would have been a better analogy to make your point.

And yes, cases work. Better than a sticker. I know, I have and use both. I don't use a neoprene case though, because that would be too pretentious.

21. suburbia macrumors 6502

Why not? Have you seen the designs of some of these kicks? From Lanvin, Balenciaga, Raf Simons, Rick Owens... They're things of beauty and some are priced more than the MBP.

Anyway, I find it really funny how some are claiming the hardcases will preserve the beauty of the design: You're completely covering/obscuring this "beautiful" design with a contraption-- what's the point? I can understand if you're worried about scratches/dents, but once again, covering the slickness of the MBP's design with a plastic case to preserve its "beauty" is, rather ironic, isn't it?

Unless you're very accident-prone, or drunk most of the time, a well-padded sleeve will be fine.

22. ane237 macrumors newbie

Both speck and incase offer the same amount of protection (or lack of protection!) against scratches, etc.

Personally, I prefer the incase because of its texture. (It is soft-touch, but does not have an intense rubber texture like the speck satin.) I also find it more aesthetically pleasing--it covers the mbp without detracting from the overall design.

23. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

They're definitely not for people who appreciate form over function. I don't simply stare at the exterior, even though it is a piece of art, it would be counterproductive. I also don't care whether people think that my notebook looks good or not.
    Also not useful if you don't move your MBP around much since the point is that it protects from knicks and bumps.
    It mainly benefits the resale value and that's pretty much it.

24. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Wait.... what?

Shoes are meant to go on the ground, step in dog poo and get dirty after a while, while a MacBook is supposed to sit on a desk and get carried gingerly to and fro.

I have a hardcase for my iPhone as well, it allows me to be a little more wreckless with my stuff and not have to worry about denting it and such. Not to mention in a university lecture theatre with a 17" laptop, you're always banging it into the arm rests whenever you sneeze/talk/turn to look at girls etc.

25. thecarrot macrumors member

OK you guys who are ripping me for the shoe analogy...How about the people who put a "bra" on the front of their car? Its the same thing, and a car costs MUCH more than a MBP so there goes that point. As was stated above its extremely ironic to put a case on a MBP. If you do not care about how your laptop looks, then why would you rather make it heavier by putting a huge case on it rather than getting a few scratches? (which probably wouldn't even happen unless you're extremely careless. If you don't care about the design and how it looks, save yourself the money and let it get a few scratches since it won't matter to you, right?