Hard Disk limitations on G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Emmy, May 14, 2007.

1. Emmy macrumors newbie

I heard about a limitation of 128gb HD on my G4 quicksilver 2001 due to controller specs.
    A friends of mine told me that , the way to avoid this limitation, is to format a new HD with Mac osx 10.2 or later.
    Is it true ?
    Just asking cause i'm gonna buy a 250gb 7200 rpm 16mb cache

Thanks in advance

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You need a PCI drive controller card to get around the limitation.

More info here

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You need to get a new Hard Drive controler, or you can buy some drivers but the new controller is the best idea.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Formatting the harddisk on another machine will not help at all. That 128 GB limitation is a hardware limitation that you can only get around with a PCI card that lets you use bigger harddisks.

Today, I wouldn't invest the money in a PCI card anymore. Two choices that I would suggest are: 1. Just put the harddisk into the computer, the Mac will recognise it as 128 GB (actually, that is 128 _real_ GB which is about 137 billion bytes). Go for 160GB instead of 250GB because it is a bit cheaper. All newer Macs use SATA, so the harddisk won't work in the next Mac you buy. Or: Buy an external harddisk. Either Firewire, or buy a cheap USB 2.0 card and a USB harddisk. The advantage is that you can use it with your next Mac without any problems. Note: Your Mac should be able to handle any USB 2.0 PCI card; the only difference between a PC one and one that says "Mac compatible" is that you pay three times as much for "Mac compatible".

5. Emmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot.
    I think the best solution will be an external HD cause my next buy will be for shure a MacMini (just waiting for the update models).
    I think FW 800 are the best , but i'm not shure my G4 support FW 800.
    I dont wanna spend money for an usb controller and an USB HD that is slower than a FW isn't' it ?
    Pls could u gimme some models for my needs ?

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Forget the Firewire 800 and go with a drive that has Firewire 400, because the Mac Mini doesn't have Firwire 800 and neither does a G4 Quicksilver.

Firewire is better than USB as firewire drives can act as start-up drives.