Hard drive advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrt209, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Hey guys :D

I'm running out of storage and am looking for a new hard drive (2TB or 3 if not too expensive).

I'm going to use the hdd for time machine and server backups. I know there's been a few other threads in the past asking the same, but those were mostly a year old.

Right now I'm looking at this drive: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...02FAEX/dp/B004CSIG1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone have it? I'm pretty happy with the Caviar Black that came with my mac pro, so that's why I'm leaning towards this one.

Thanks for your help :)

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Nice drive. Noisy on seeks and gets hot. But I would get one if I needed 2TB or more. Just installed 4 in a 2008 Pro the other day. 1 boot and 3x RAID0. very nice. The RAID tested out at around 340MB/s using aja test.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

I have 2 of those and 2 of the Caviar Greens, both are really nice. I have an OWC SSD as my boot drive with my home directory and everything else on my Caviar Blacks. I use TM and CCC to backup to my two Caviar Greens. I have had only good experiences with Western Digital drives and recommend them to everyone. Go for it!

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

your other option is buying these from a very good ebay seller

he will take an offer of 150 or so. I have purchased a lot of these from him. They come sealed with a good warranty. Around 35 months on the warranty. no one sells them as low as he does. Read his feedback you will see I made a lot of purchases of them. He has some kind of deal with newegg to sell them.

western digital 3tb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Digital...ltDomain_0&hash=item4158e6146e#ht_1458wt_1036

5. dave239 macrumors newbie

I have been running 3 off 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives (together with the Apple original 1TB) since the New Year and have no complaints at all. I have a Kingston SSD for my boot drive and home folder with everything else on the Caviar Blacks.

6. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input :)

So should I go with the Caviar Green or Black drive? I know the green is a bit slower, but its also quieter. Which one should I choose?

And how reliable is the 3TB one on Ebay? philipma1957 can you tell me if its noisy?

7. strausd macrumors 68030

The green will be a bit quieter, but in my opinion, they are more for backups. If you don't plan on using the drive as a backup drive, go for the Caviar Black.

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

Well, they're also for slow media where speed isn't an issue. I have two 2TB Caviar Greens in Raid 1 and I put 14.6MP RAW photos and videos (shows and the like) on there. Speed isn't a necessity for them.

9. strausd macrumors 68030

Good point. And I watch movies off CGs from time to time. But for everything else I do, I like the advantage of the CBs.

10. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the CGs are better for media? I'll be watching some movies from the hard drive too.

11. strausd macrumors 68030

Not necessarily better, but if you are going to just be watching movies then you shouldn't notice a difference besides maybe a little less noise. And since you said you will be using it for time machine and server backups, I would suggest the Caviar Green. If you were going to be doing a lot of video editing or anything else that requires the fastest speed you can get without getting an SSD, then I would say go for the Caviar Black. But since it will be mainly for backups, go green!

12. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I'm going with the 3TB Caviar Green :)